E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Airbag Recall + SRS Coding?

10-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Airbag Recall + SRS Coding?

I need to bring my car back to the dealership for the airbag recall, but have some coding done and I'm not sure if that will affect anything. Besides the JB4+MHD BEF, I have a bunch of things coded via Carly, including seatbelt warning deactive.

Should I be reverting things back to stock before taking her in or do these things not matter for this kind of work?

Thanks in advance.
      10-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
I need to bring my car back to the dealership for the airbag recall, but have some coding done and I'm not sure if that will affect anything. Besides the JB4+MHD BEF, I have a bunch of things coded via Carly, including seatbelt warning deactive.

Should I be reverting things back to stock before taking her in or do these things not matter for this kind of work?

Thanks in advance.
You shouldn't need to. Swapping a airbag takes less than 5 minutes and doesn't involve anything other than disconnecting the negative terminal first. That said, you never know when those guys may throw it on the machine to check for faults, etc. Your coding shouldn't be affected as long as they don't decide to update your car if some of your software is outdated.

I would turn the JB4 off though in case they do use the OBD port.
      10-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
You shouldn't need to. Swapping a airbag takes less than 5 minutes and doesn't involve anything other than disconnecting the negative terminal first. That said, you never know when those guys may throw it on the machine to check for faults, etc. Your coding shouldn't be affected as long as they don't decide to update your car if some of your software is outdated.

My car's not under warranty so I'm not worried about anything on that side, I just don't want them messing with my software. In this case I will ask the service adviser about the recall procedure and be upfront regarding the software.
      10-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:

My car's not under warranty so I'm not worried about anything on that side, I just don't want them messing with my software. In this case I will ask the service adviser about the recall procedure and be upfront regarding the software.
They could care less about the coding. That's not an issue, under warranty or not, it's when the JB4 is active it interferes with the OBD connection. Just go to map 0 in case they need to connect.

The problem with the dealer is if they need to write your VIN to the new airbag module, they just hook it up to the car and process the whole car. If they do that your car will be default coded back to stock. It happened to me when I got the Combox upgrade.
      10-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They could care less about the coding. That's not an issue, under warranty or not, it's when the JB4 is active it interferes with the OBD connection. Just go to map 0 in case they need to connect.

The problem with the dealer is if they need to write your VIN to the new airbag module, they just hook it up to the car and process the whole car. If they do that your car will be default coded back to stock. It happened to me when I got the Combox upgrade.
Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying. I have all of the software myself so it will just take a little bit of time to recode everything. Will that include the MHD BEF too?
      10-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:

Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying. I have all of the software myself so it will just take a little bit of time to recode everything. Will that include the MHD BEF too?
Yes, if they reflash the whole car. It's a pain in the ass, no doubt. I was running a custom MHD E60 flash when they did mine and I asked the SA to not flash anything that wasn't part of the upgrade. I had to get a sales guy to get a mobile power pack from the garage since I picked my car up after the garage had closed and do a long flash sitting in their parking lot to get my car running again.
      10-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
b92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, if they reflash the whole car. It's a pain in the ass, no doubt. I was running a custom MHD E60 flash when they did mine and I asked the SA to not flash anything that wasn't part of the upgrade. I had to get a sales guy to get a mobile power pack from the garage since I picked my car up after the garage had closed and do a long flash sitting in their parking lot to get my car running again.
Jesus, that sounds like a nightmare. I don't have any E85 in the tank now so I'm not too worried, I just don't feel like spending an hour flashing everything again lol.
      10-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Jesus, that sounds like a nightmare. I don't have any E85 in the tank now so I'm not too worried, I just don't feel like spending an hour flashing everything again lol.
Pretty much. I keep a list of each module for reference since it's 25-30 different things I've done but it's still a pain to sit there and redo it all.