THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Golden-brown fluid in intercooler reservoir

10-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
ttaayylloorr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Golden-brown fluid in intercooler reservoir

Recently I had the dreaded low coolant light pop up on my second owner 2017 M240i. It took three (!!) trips to the dealership to actually get the coolant topped off past the minimum mark (on cold fluid check from home) and they also did a pressure check of the coolant system and found no leaks on the third visit. When I checked the coolant level the next morning, it was way, way over filled this time and had in fact overflowed onto my garage floor overnight, so I pipetted off enough from the tank to have it at the proper max level when cold.

This led me to check the intercooler coolant level as well (also over-filled), but I was quite surprised to see that the color wasn't consistent with normal-appearing BMW coolant. My understanding is that both reservoirs should contain light blue fluid. Is this a sign of oil/rust/corrosion in the coolant, or could it have been filled with the wrong coolant type by the previous owner? I've attached some photos of the fluid in question, and I apologize in advance for the meh lighting. Thanks guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

My intercooler coolant from the factory was clear, but was definitely a glycol based anti-freeze, as it tested correctly to the same freeze point as the radiator coolant when I used a density tester on it. I think it is a case of not having the blue dye in it. If it has a golden colour with no film on the top or evidence of particles in it, it is probably just a different dye colour. It can be topped up with the standard blue dyed coolant, according to my reading of the manual.
Appreciate 0