F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 35d or 40i
proTUNING Freaks

10-03-2018, 03:42 AM   #1
Davey90
Private
Rep
Drives: Non

35d or 40i

I’ve owned a 335d (e90) of the previous generation and enjoyed it immensely, the wallop of torque suited my lazy driving style so I’m hankering after another (f30) which I think will be great with the xdrive – the problem I have is the car will mainly be used for a short commute on a daily basis in stop start traffic and only see a long stretch once a month or so.

I really should be going for a 340i but having driven one, as great as it is, I felt you have to be 'on it’ to make quick progress which is great, but this really isn’t my style and id just prefer the huge torque and quick progress.

My concern is if I get the 335d, I’ll bugger the dpf at some point very quickly with the short commutes (6 miles each way) and the mpg will be terrible doing short journeys all the time – although I was in the late teens when testing the 340, admittedly, I was having a hoot driving it rather quickly.

So what do you experts think – will I ruin the car? What kind of mpg am I looking at for town only on short commutes, 335xd vs 340i?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

I come from the school of ..low mileage = petrol & high mileage = diesel

A petrol engine will warm up much quicker than a diesel & would generally be more suited to the type of journey you describe. As to the size of engine, it is personal choice, but if I were coming from a 335d I would go for the 340i given the same circumstances.

MPG in my opinion is irrelevant considering the 2 cars as you'll be low mileage.

Go enjoy
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #3
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

I'd go for the 35d if you're going to be stuck in traffic. You want the power in the low range if you're not going to be going very quick.

Your DPF will clean itself when you go on a longer drive so I wouldn't worry about it too much. They seem to clean themselves pretty well in the newer models but that's just my experience.

More economy, more torque in the low revs is my preference for the journey you describe. Speed-wise from what I've researched the 35d and 40i are neck & neck, the 40i takes it by very little. Though, I've been lusting for a petrol for a while so I'd understand the temptation there also.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
I've always been a fan of the 35d engine and had one in all my cars since it came out - but I did 25k+ miles until recently so petrol wasn't a sensible option (range alone would have made it frustrating for me) plus like you I loved the effortless pace of the d and with xDrive it was fantastic at the TLs in the damp... I don't think you really need to worry about DPF/EGR issues unless you plan to run it for 10 years+. Have you had any problems with your current 35d? Just stick an additive in from time to time or use premium fuel and factor an extended warranty into your budget...

What mpg do you get from your current 35d? I think you can expect broadly the same from the F30 335d - perhaps a couple better & the 40i will trail by around 8mpg...

But... if I was you doing low miles as I am now (where mpg is really irrelevant) I'd get the 340i no question - it is quicker and has plenty of torque too (the 35d only has the advantage of better traction off the line), sounds far better, looks better with exhaust set-up & I would imagine it is cheaper to insure too as moving from 335d to M3 CP cost me slightly less. If you are buying second-hand (or pre July build at any rate) then put the MPPSK on it and your thoughts of the 35d torque will soon not matter to you.

But if you want effortless, low drama, no noise, then perhaps the 35d is still right for you... Or do what I did & get an M3CP as the 35d vs 40i question immediately becomes redundant
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Just gone from f30 335d to 340i last week.. First impression... Where has all the torque gone..the 340 will no doubt need getting used to. Its so smooth it feels like nothing happens till you are past 4k rpm.
We mainly did short daily journeys and a few long ones per month. Diesel did 37mpg constantly first tank on a running in 340i 27mpg.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Davey90
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info guys, very useful.

dizzy619 why the change to the 40i? any pros or cons to changing?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

340i no contest. It's getting cold so thinking all the cold start noise you can look forward to!
Swift tuning box or odbc remap now and you are into basic m3 power as well..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croms View Post
Thanks for the info guys, very useful.

dizzy619 why the change to the 40i? any pros or cons to changing?
Just fancied a change mate... It's the wife's car really... She really likes it.. I'm sure after the running in period I will investigate its qualities a bit more.
The choice needs to be made on your style of driving and whether you like the low down lazy torque or chasing those revs..
You can't go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Dan930
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3series

I have changed from a 2016 335d to a 2017 340i,do I miss the 335d “NO”
The noise & cold start is worth it mate & the handling is MUCH better
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Were you in comfort mode? Throttle response is much sharper in sport.

I have what sounds like a very similar driving pattern to you (just with more long occasional runs). Teens mpg does indeed mean trying to hard.

If you go 40i you'll find yourself taking it easy a lot and enjoying the silky smoothness. No diesel can match that, it's a soothing companion on urban commuting.

The occasional blast from 4K to 7k rpm is also something that no diesel can match. It's addictive and brings another element into play. No diesel can match the soul of the petrol six.

I repeatedly say on here that I would be happier to trade a second or more off the 0-60 time than lose the latter two characteristics. In an ideal world, I'd have my cake and eat it though. Luckily it's an ideal world, enjoy it while you can, before everything involves electric...

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      10-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #11
Bigyin1314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

Well in direct contrast to most people I changed from an Audi s4 (stage 1 supercharged v6) to a 435d. The s4 would have decimated the 440i (though I concede I only drove a stock one). I chose the 435d for sinilar reasons, lazy torque and I wanted the 4wd (given Scottish weather sucks most of the time). Do I regret my choice, in a word No.

The 440i was lovely to drive, I agree it’s quite smooth and refined. Due the test drive being in feb, the road being damp, giving it then beans would result in the inevitable flashing traction light. It was at that point I remembered why I wanted the 4wd. Now, that’s because of my driving style and likes and dislikes, at no point am I giving the car a hard time.

435d test drive was the following week, weather still sucked and first impressions were good. Plenty of grip, plenty of shove and it was comfortable to drive, whilst it’s not the last word in handling (neither was the 440i), it was more than fine for my needs.

The 435d is a diesel and sounds like one (no matter what people say to the contrary) I struggled at first with that but 6 months on and it no longer bothers me. It does take longer to warm up, winter diseasal helps but on my commute it only just manages to get to full temp before I arrive. I only do about 12k a year but I throw in some longer drives to keep the dpf healthy. I also use premium fuel (BP ultimate) every other tank.

I don’t miss chasing revs in the twisties, mainly because I didn’t do it that often anyway (got a bike for that kinda stuff), the 35d makes fast sure footed progress and on the open road vs the 440i, imho it would be more the driver than the cars that make any difference, there’s not THAT much between them. I still maintain that the 35d in day to day driving makes quicker progress than the 40i.

Go for what you like driving and if it means having to take the car once a month for a longer drive to keep the dpf sweet then so be it. Both cars are great, which is best for you is something only you can decide.

Last edited by Bigyin1314; 10-04-2018 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #12
Davey90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyin1314 View Post
Well in direct contrast to most people I changed from an Audi s4 (stage 1 supercharged v6) to a 435d. The s4 would have decimated the 440i (though I concede I only drove a stock one). I chose the 435d for sinilar reasons, lazy torque and I wanted the 4wd (given Scottish weather sucks most of the time). Do I regret my choice, in a word No.

The 440i was lovely to drive, I agree it’s quite smooth and refined. Due the test drive being in feb, the road being damp, giving it then beans would result in the inevitable flashing traction light. It was at that point I remembered why I wanted the 4wd. Now, that’s because of my driving style and likes and dislikes, at no point am I giving the car a hard time.

435d test drive was the following week, weather still sucked and first impressions were good. Plenty of grip, plenty of shove and it was comfortable to drive, whilst it’s not the last word in handling (neither was the 440i), it was more than fine for my needs.

The 435d is a diesel and sounds like one (no matter what people say to the contrary) I struggled at first with that but 6 months on and it no longer bothers me. It does take longer to warm up, winter diseasal helps but on my commute it only just manages to get to full temp before I arrive. I only do about 12k a year but I throw in some longer drives to keep the dpf healthy. I also use premium fuel (BP ultimate) every other tank.

I don’t miss chasing revs in the twisties, mainly because I didn’t do it that often anyway (got a bike for that kinda stuff), the 35d makes fast sure footed progress and on the open road vs the 440i, imho it would be more the driver than the cars that make any difference, there’s not THAT much between them. I still maintain that the 35d in day to day driving makes quicker progress than the 40i.

Go for what you like driving and if it means having to take the car once a month for a longer drive to keep the dpf sweet then so be it. Both cars are great, which is best for you is something only you can decide.

Nice insight. Pretty much why i'm after the 335d, as much as i loved my previous one, it was mapped to approx 340bhp and utilitising that power in the wet was just painful, the dry was a struggle too from a quick getaway. I don't live in Scotland but the weather in this country isnt great a lot of the time and for every day scenarios i just want to be able to boot it in a relatively safe and controlled manner. I'll deffo be getting the 35d me thinks.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croms View Post
Nice insight. Pretty much why i'm after the 335d, as much as i loved my previous one, it was mapped to approx 340bhp and utilitising that power in the wet was just painful, the dry was a struggle too from a quick getaway. I don't live in Scotland but the weather in this country isnt great a lot of the time and for every day scenarios i just want to be able to boot it in a relatively safe and controlled manner. I'll deffo be getting the 35d me thinks.
Sounds the right decision for what you want - I had the E90 335d, then 535d GT before the 3GT 335d... I had DMS work their magic on the E90 after 15k (and then did another 100k in it) but even so the difference between the E9X & F3X 35d is substantial - part down to the gearbox, part down to the power improvements & part down to the xDrive. Where the E90 definitely benefited from tuning the F34 didn't really need it - I did add a DTUK to the F34 but I'd take or leave it really. A pedal box may be worth considering though to take away the tardiness that Comfort introduces into the throttle response (why do we want that??)... As you noted in the E90 the TC/DSC constantly intervened where in the F34 it just put the power down and went in all conditions (except ice of course)... I don't think you'd go wrong either way but the 35d seems to be the safer bet for you...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

The short trips on the 335d won't be a problem as long as you give it a good run sometimes too.
Really it depends what you prefer .. more effortless low down torque and slightly better mpg get the 335d .. sexier sounding engine get the 340i .. both cars are pretty quick!
Appreciate 0