BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #1
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

ACC with stop and go at lights

With ACC and stop and go enabled, if there is no vehicle in front of you and you approach a red light. Will the ACC slow you down and stop then go when green? Or does it require traffic in front of you?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
ACC with stop and go at lights

it requires a vehicle in front to automatically slow you down.

But how you stop also affects how it continues. if you apply the breaks coming up to a stop, whether a car is in front of you or not, you will need to press the resume button to re-engage ACC.

If the ACC system pulls you to a complete stop, it will wait for a few moments before it disengages, but either pushing the resume button or simply pressing the gas pedal will re-engage the ACC system.

Once you know how the system works, it's a pleasure to use. I barely used the cruise in my old car, and I use it every single day with the X3.
Appreciate 1
Starz2691.50
      08-22-2018, 02:34 AM   #3
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
With ACC and stop and go enabled, if there is no vehicle in front of you and you approach a red light. Will the ACC slow you down and stop then go when green? Or does it require traffic in front of you?
It requires traffic in front of you, you need to brake for lights and then pull away when green, just the same with any junction
Appreciate 1
Starz2691.50
      08-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Legis
Private
Rep

ACC and lane assist is pure pleasure in car queues. Had a two hours queue today and didn’t touch the brake or gas pedal.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 30i Alpine White

This is one feature I wish I had in mine.

Its so relaxing to keep your foot off the brake with Auto Hold. I can imagine the comforts of ACC.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post

Its so relaxing to keep your foot off the brake with Auto Hold. I can imagine the comforts of ACC.
Agreed. I switched from a stickshift Mini to the X3’s sport auto and figured that would be enough to take the edge off my typical traffic events. Auto Hold is pretty cool even if it is just throwing the car into Park. If I’d ever test driven a car with ACC stop and go, I’m sure I would have ordered it. The Mini only had auto cruise that would disengage at low speeds, and I rarely used it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post

Agreed. I switched from a stickshift Mini to the X3’s sport auto and figured that would be enough to take the edge off my typical traffic events. Auto Hold is pretty cool even if it is just throwing the car into Park. If I’d ever test driven a car with ACC stop and go, I’m sure I would have ordered it. The Mini only had auto cruise that would disengage at low speeds, and I rarely used it.
Auto hold does not throw the car in park. It is actuating the brake.
Appreciate 1
Fenders66.00
      08-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
Sorry for the misinfo - lazy post - meant to say it was just like that technique on other auto cars. It feels pretty seamless when auto-start/stop is disabled.
Appreciate 1
GL121.00
      08-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #9
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

When I use Auto Hold with ASS it does in fact show "Park" on the dash display.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Quote:

When I use Auto Hold with ASS it does in fact show "Park" on the dash display.
That symbol when in Auto Hold means the Parking Brake is on rather than Park position on the transmission but it is a bit confusing
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
if the gear designation letter shows p, it is in park. the auto hold engaged the (p) icon, but if its coupled with the ASS, it might put the car in park as well. I haven't payed enough attention.

however, when I use the ASS, and it stops me at a light, even on an incline, I do not move one iota. car off. says I'm in drive. so maybe it does put the car in a park state?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
if the gear designation letter shows p, it is in park. the auto hold engaged the (p) icon, but if its coupled with the ASS, it might put the car in park as well. I haven't payed enough attention.

however, when I use the ASS, and it stops me at a light, even on an incline, I do not move one iota. car off. says I'm in drive. so maybe it does put the car in a park state?
That's interesting. When we've used auto-hold at a long light on a slight grade, the brake quickly "re-grabs" a few times a minute- not sure if this is a common quirk, a calibration issue with my car, intentional as a safety check or to remind you that the car is not actually in Park. The owner's manual makes no mention of any such behavior.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenders View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post

That's interesting. When we've used auto-hold at a long light on a slight grade, the brake quickly "re-grabs" a few times a minute- not sure if this is a common quirk, a calibration issue with my car, intentional as a safety check or to remind you that the car is not actually in Park. The owner's manual makes no mention of any such behavior.
it could depend on the amount of incline. I will admit the inclines I can remember stopping on were not steep at all. there might be a threshold where by it will hold the car to a certain point, then engages the brake if it feels the car slip.

just speculating here
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #14
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Auto Hold is engaging the parking brake, that's why the P light comes on. You should read the manual.