BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Driving Assistance Plus -- IIHS report

08-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Driving Assistance Plus -- IIHS report

Interesting report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Says that they are helpful but not perfect and often fail. BMW 5 series seemed to stop operating and cross the line the most. Mercedes seemed to do better than Tesla, BMW and Volvo. Here is a link to the report:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ad-track-tests

This echoes my experience. In testing the lane centering systems, the report found that the BMW often lost the guidelines (my experience as well) and crossed the line most frequently (again, my experience).

None of the tested vehicles did great but in my read, the BMW system did not do well (the safety feature did somewhat better).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Assume they tested with hands off to see what they were capable of. As intended with hands on its ok but not perfect.
Glad the safetyfeatures are good though.

I ask the bmw geniuses if there were any updates for lane assist but they said not.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

This is only the beginning of "real world" evaluation of such systems. The state of our roads, including how they are marked and how much gets rubbed off over time, will weigh heavily on the autonomous hype.

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
roadske
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series 2017

It works well here in Denmark - but again mostly on freeways is where I find it useful.

Now one thing I don’t understand is - why is there no audible tone or something to alert you when it looses the ability to follow the road? In the HUD you only see it turn grey, and you really have to watch carefully.

I understand it’s only meant as an assistance tool, and that hands on the wheel is required. I still think some sort of ‘beep’ would be useful though, making you aware.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
This is only the beginning of "real world" evaluation of such systems. The state of our roads, including how they are marked and how much gets rubbed off over time, will weigh heavily on the autonomous hype.

PL
YEP I love driving Cars, not being driven, so these systems are not for me.
I will maybe when i'm 90+
      08-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Surprised to see that they omitted Audi, the only company with a L3 semi-autonomous car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Surprised to see that they omitted Audi, the only company with a L3 semi-autonomous car.
Too new.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

After buying a 5 series, E-Class, Tesla 3, Tesla S and Volvo S90 they ran out of money and couldn't afford the Audi to include in the tests.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      08-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #9
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
After buying a 5 series, E-Class, Tesla 3, Tesla S and Volvo S90 they ran out of money and couldn't afford the Audi to include in the tests.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Glad my car doesn't have any of these nannies. I believe they are not fully baked yet and still a ways off from prime time. I am sure the next one will have far more improved and less error prone driver assistance systems. For the time being, nothing replaces full attentiveness and awareness in part of the driver at all times.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

PL
Well said.

Our crumbling road infrastructure will not enable these systems to work any better or as intended.

Just came back from Europe and their road infrastructure is generally much better and well maintained than US highways. It's embarrassing.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadske View Post
It works well here in Denmark - but again mostly on freeways is where I find it useful.

Now one thing I don’t understand is - why is there no audible tone or something to alert you when it looses the ability to follow the road? In the HUD you only see it turn grey, and you really have to watch carefully.

I understand it’s only meant as an assistance tool, and that hands on the wheel is required. I still think some sort of ‘beep’ would be useful though, making you aware.
I was in Copenhagen last week and the motorways are excellent and people generally, like in most of Western Europe, know how to actually drive. Now driving around the center of the city is a different story. Lots of traffic and many bicycles but they seem to co-exist happily with each other. Here in the US we are so behind the times in comparison to Scandinavia, is not even funny.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes standards good but certainly not perfect, in the U.K. more than enough bad drivers out there. Falls into 2 categories of dangerous and inconsiderate( ie hogging middle lane on motorway when lane 1 is empty)
Road conditions in the U.K. are getting worse down to not spending money on them.
Road markings suffer which gets us back to lane assist where it can struggle.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
roadske
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I was in Copenhagen last week and the motorways are excellent and people generally, like in most of Western Europe, know how to actually drive. Now driving around the center of the city is a different story. Lots of traffic and many bicycles but they seem to co-exist happily with each other. Here in the US we are so behind the times in comparison to Scandinavia, is not even funny.
Yes, no doubt city driving can be chaotic. While cars and bicycles generally co-exist well - in large due to focus on creating bicycle infrastructure and prioritizing bicycling in the city - you often find bicycle riders who drive like crazy, so you really have to watch out. I guess the same can happen with vehicle drivers though .

I spent 10 years in the states and I miss cheap cars, big engines and motorcycles - less so the drivers or roads. We’re not dependent on cars the same way either, so it really will be interesting to see where automated vehicles takes us. I think our public transportation service will be some of the first to adapting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

A study in the 1970's compared different modes of transportation in the US and rail was found to be at least 10 times more expensive per rider-mile than small econobox cars and infrastructure. This makes sense since there is no system in the US to my knowledge that is not at least 50% publicly subsidized due to the universal shortfalls from ticket sales.

As for autonomous driving and public transportation, it will be interesting to see if public transportation doesn't take a huge hit from loss of ridership. We'll see.

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A study in the 1970's compared different modes of transportation in the US and rail was found to be at least 10 times more expensive per rider-mile than small econobox cars and infrastructure. This makes sense since there is no system in the US to my knowledge that is not at least 50% publicly subsidized due to the universal shortfalls from ticket sales.

As for autonomous driving and public transportation, it will be interesting to see if public transportation doesn't take a huge hit from loss of ridership. We'll see.

PL
And I am sure that the cost of roads and road maintenance was not factored into that calculation. GIGO.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Well said.

Our crumbling road infrastructure will not enable these systems to work any better or as intended.

Just came back from Europe and their road infrastructure is generally much better and well maintained than US highways. It's embarrassing.
Roads in the UK are going down hill fast, many are a disgrace and an embarrassment TBH.
      08-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Well said.

Roads in the UK are going down hill fast, many are a disgrace and an embarrassment TBH.
It'll improve with the blue passports
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #19
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
And I am sure that the cost of roads and road maintenance was not factored into that calculation. GIGO.
No, actually, I believe it was. But be careful: we can't go without roads so they are a constant. The cost of train land, mechanical, and energy is quite high especially when ridership is not maximized.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #20
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here is a more modern look at costs per passenger mile for comparable modes of transportation.
Appreciate 0