F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Question about strange wire and backup sensor
Extreme Powerhouse

07-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Emoney Mango
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

Question about strange wire and backup sensor

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2014 328i xDrive a couple months ago. I have a couple questions. I'll put pictures below for both questions.

First, there is a strange wire in a wire wrap that is literally just sitting on the exhaust. There is a single wire in the wrap and I have no idea where it goes since it runs behind the muffler heat shield and into the bumper on the side. I taped it up against the bumper for now, but does anyone know what this is about?

Second, there is this strange backup sensor that came with the car. It shows random numbers (backwards because you would look through the rear view mirror) and beeps even when there is really nothing within like 20 ft of the car. The beeping does get more frequent when something is behind it. It seems to override the rear parking sensor beeping as well. I have no idea what unit of measurement is uses. There is a switch that is for volume control that I put in the off position so it doesn't beep. It was extremely annoying and I have no idea if it's factory or not. I saw nothing about it in the manual.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My guess is that it's an aftermarket rig. There should be something on the box with the LED saying the manufacturer and model number.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Emoney Mango
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My guess is that it's an aftermarket rig. There should be something on the box with the LED saying the manufacturer and model number.
I think so too. There aren't any markings on the unit itself so I wasn't able to look up a model name or anything
Appreciate 0