BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
manish_X3i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 - 2018

Executive Package

I have 2018 BMW X3 with convenience and Premium package. I am wondering is it possible to retrofit Executive Package or some components of Executive Package, if needed at after market somewhere.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
PvtDexter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 330i

I don't think it practicable to get the whole package, but the list is below, along with my wild a** guesses:

Adaptive Full LED Headlights
I suspect you are better off installing aftermarket LED upgrade kit.

Parking Assistant Plus
Doubt it, but why?

Automatic High Beams
It would take new headlight switch and perhaps a sensing camera, but who cares? It is just not that hard to activate one's own high beams.

Surround View w/ 3D View
I do like this -- a lot. I suspect it could be done but would be very pricey. It would involve new side view and perhaps front mirrors with cameras and reprogramming.

12.3" Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster
Cost prohibitive. You don't want them tearing up your dash to install either.

Active Park Distance Control
Not sure. Do you already have bumper sensors, then maybe, but why do you need them to be active?

Gesture Control
Silly option.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
manish_X3i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtDexter View Post
I don't think it practicable to get the whole package, but the list is below, along with my wild a** guesses:

Adaptive Full LED Headlights
I suspect you are better off installing aftermarket LED upgrade kit.

Parking Assistant Plus
Doubt it, but why?

Automatic High Beams
It would take new headlight switch and perhaps a sensing camera, but who cares? It is just not that hard to activate one's own high beams.

Surround View w/ 3D View
I do like this -- a lot. I suspect it could be done but would be very pricey. It would involve new side view and perhaps front mirrors with cameras and reprogramming.

12.3" Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster
Cost prohibitive. You don't want them tearing up your dash to install either.

Active Park Distance Control
Not sure. Do you already have bumper sensors, then maybe, but why do you need them to be active?

Gesture Control
Silly option.
PvtDexter - thank you so much for detailed response. Can you also direct me to someone who can do it in after market workspace. I am from Philadelphia. Wondering if you can direct me to a site. Thanks a ton.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

It is funny how often I read that gesture control is a gimmick or whatever. I use it probably 5x a trip to skip forward a track on spotify or pandora. And waving off a change in the nav route, etc. I think it works great.

Manish, I hope you can get what you want I just can't imagine being able to retrofit Executive package features reasonably. If you feel you are missing that much, you may have to bite the bullet and trade yours in. Again I hope I'm wrong I just can't imagine how a shop can do this.
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
manish_X3i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
It is funny how often I read that gesture control is a gimmick or whatever. I use it probably 5x a trip to skip forward a track on spotify or pandora. And waving off a change in the nav route, etc. I think it works great.

Manish, I hope you can get what you want I just can't imagine being able to retrofit Executive package features reasonably. If you feel you are missing that much, you may have to bite the bullet and trade yours in. Again I hope I'm wrong I just can't imagine how a shop can do this.
Hi tenflyer - Thanks for the advise. It is not really bothering me much. I just wanted to see even if few features of Executive Package can be retrofitted. Thanks for sharing your experience on gesture control
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
It is funny how often I read that gesture control is a gimmick or whatever. I use it probably 5x a trip to skip forward a track on spotify or pandora. And waving off a change in the nav route, etc. I think it works great...
Interesting. It's the danger of being influenced by auto writers.

It's the same with RFTs. Most people hate them. I love 'em. Sure, they're expensive. But the car is safer (when my wife is coming home from a shift at the hospital in the dead of winter at night, she'll get home with a nail in the tire), lighter and BMW has designed the suspension for them.

Or the "dipstick" controversy. (Maybe you have to be a BMW CCA member and read the club magazine to get this one). Old-school Bimmer fans go ape over the lack of a dipstick, warning about engines seizing when the sensor fails. But I've been on these forums for one BMW model or another since 2005. Never heard of a sensor failure. Meanwhile, I can check the oil conveniently from inside the car -- which ironically makes me do it more often.

The wisdom of crowds? Sometimes, not so much.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I recently asked my local dealer if they can add options after the car is build. Not surprisingly, they said the following:
Quote:
Options CAN'T be added after the car is built.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
manish_X3i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestuarts View Post
I recently asked my local dealer if they can add options after the car is build. Not surprisingly, they said the following:
So what is the solution to that. How can we get some of the features from executive package?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I wish we can have a bold stickie that say "Make sure you order a car with the options you need"
It is very difficult to add anything afterwards.

My first BMW was a base model with minimal options. I add HID headlights afterwards, a lot of work, coding and pain.

This time I made sure I got what I wanted, apparently everything is wat I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I don't get it.. why didn't you buy the car with the options you want? I believe it's always more expensive to add things afterwards. Like someone else already posted - maybe trade your car in and buy a new one with options you want.

I know I didn't help. But I didn't go off-topic either.
      07-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Gesture control sounded very gimmicky when it debuted, but I think it's great and find myself wanting to adjust volume via gesture fairly often in my truck that definitely doesn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

I agree on the trade in idea if you really want the executive package. I hadn't driven it for a few weeks being up at camp, but I just did and took an extra hour with it ....... I feel "unworthy" of such an amazingly equipped vehicle! I see with me gone my wife has managed to up the average to 25+ mpg too.
      07-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

I have to agree w/ the others. This is almost comical. Read the options thoroughly and select/purchase accordingly.

Doesn't sound like it, since you're considering mods, but hope you are leasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_X3i View Post
So what is the solution to that. How can we get some of the features from executive package?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
caeguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
Gesture control sounded very gimmicky when it debuted, but I think it's great and find myself wanting to adjust volume via gesture fairly often in my truck that definitely doesn't have it.
Agreed... I laughed at the concept but find myself using it quite frequently.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I use gesture control all the time. Especially turning off and on the nav display.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #16
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I wish we can have a bold stickie that say "Make sure you order a car with the options you need"
It is very difficult to add anything afterwards.

My first BMW was a base model with minimal options. I add HID headlights afterwards, a lot of work, coding and pain.

This time I made sure I got what I wanted, apparently everything is wat I wanted.
That is a good point. It’s always best to really study the options available before you sit down to order. Get the options you want up front. Retro fitting is damn near impossible.
Appreciate 0