THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning What good valve'd exhausts are out there?

07-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
ericshun
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 Lemans Blue 15'

What good valve'd exhausts are out there?

I've found the meisterschaft GTC and ARMYTRIX. Are there any other exhausts with the ability to manually open and close?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

I'm actually planning on relocating the stock exhaust valve so that it provides a bypass to the stock exhaust...Will post results if it happens...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

I'm interested in others' thoughts on this as well. Definitely upgrading the exhaust on my stock M240 but not sure which one yet.

I've heard good things about Remus. It keeps the valve using the original actuator selected based on vehicle setting.

In terms of other valve systems, from the videos I've seen the ARMYTRIX sounds too raspy to my ear--and it certainly doesn't help they filmed a lot their promo video in a parking garage. Meistershaft seems incredibly loud even with valve closed so that's a non-option for me.

The MPE does not have a valve but does change based on vehicle setting. From what I've read, the MPE is disappointing by itself as it is not very noticeable from the cabin--only 10% or 15% sound increase but a good amount more burbles/run off in sport. Also no drone and stays basically stock sound in comfort. But, in my opinion, for the price of an MPE + tips a 10% sound increase isn't enough.

The dinan high flow also has no valve and I've read it is not tremendously different than the MPE. A lot of people just run the dinan midpipe with stock exhaust and call it a day.

Personally, I am leaning toward MPE + the Dinan midpipe to best preserve warranty but get a noticeable bump in sound when wanted while keeping comfort inconspicuous. All told, I'd really love a proper valved exhaust though like the M2 performance exhaust with the bluetooth switch.

I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts and some vids of other set ups
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I'm interested in doing something with the exhaust setup too. One question I have about valved vs. no valve is what the hell does the valve actually do? A member here took a video of the valve and observed its operation while driving in all modes. I think the conclusion was that it only stays closed to speed up the warming process on a cold start, but it stays open otherwise. In other words, I don't believe it affects the sound in any meaningful way while driving. Are the aftermarket valved exhausts different somehow?
      08-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Valve closes off one of the exhaust pipes (left/driver side) while on a cold start and in comfort/eco drive mode. In comfort it opens under ~50%+ throttle. Permanently closed in eco. In sport and sport+ it’s 100% open. Has no performance benefit, just noise control.

Cold start is already loud because of the open waste gate, that’s why it stays closed during cold starts.

However, exhaust tuning also affects exhaust note as well. Plus other exhaust components such as mud pipe and downpipe.

Regarding the Remus: to me it’s the best sounding option and you can go resonated or nonresonated midpipe to suit your decibel desires. Even with a stock downpipe, resonated midpipe Remus exhaust is silent at idle and screams under WOT all while in comfort mode. Catless downpipe is still silent at idle and screams way more under WOT while still in comfort mode.

With that in mind, if staying with stock tuning I’d suggest stock or sport downpipe with a resonated midpipe because of those damn cold starts. If you do an ECU tune that removes the cold start, then catless and/or non resonated midpipe would be a great combo.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS uses the stock valves and you can control the valves with the JB4 or BMS can flap.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshun View Post
I've found the meisterschaft GTC and ARMYTRIX. Are there any other exhausts with the ability to manually open and close?
highly recommend akrapovic. its expensive but worth the money. its legit.

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 0