BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
clancep2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac ...soon to be BMW

Cross Traffic Detection (Rear) ?

Hello All,

I have an M40i with the Driving Assistance Plus Package and also the Premium/Executive Package. So do we not get rear cross traffic detection?? I have experienced the "beeps' from the front cross traffic detection but never had a rapid beeping warning when I'm slowing backing out of a parking space at the grocery store and someone is driving down the aisle.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I posted on this some time back too. In my prior vehicle with cross traffic warning, it would tell if traffic was coming from the right or left and give a good warning as long as the vehicle was in reverse. My X3 does not give any warning unless I am actually moving and I notice that I still get no warning sometimes. I am not thrilled with their version of the system.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I posted on this some time back too. In my prior vehicle with cross traffic warning, it would tell if traffic was coming from the right or left and give a good warning as long as the vehicle was in reverse. My X3 does not give any warning unless I am actually moving and I notice that I still get no warning sometimes. I am not thrilled with their version of the system.
As you noticed, the BMW cross traffic alert while in reverse is crappy.
Even my old lowly 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit would give a visual and audible warning on which side the threat was coming from. BMW needs to take note of how it's supposed to operate.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Strange. I was backing out of a parking spot last week, and I both heard beeping and saw red flashy marks on the corners of the top down camera corresponding to what side the vehicle was on (so first the corner went red on the right, then as the car passed by, the left corner lit up till it was past detection). I slammed on the brakes, and as I was stationary, a second vehicle drove by, and again the corners of the top down view lit up, but this time no audible warning.

So the audible part might only be present if your moving, but the visual warning should be there regardless, as long as there's a vehicle in range of the sensors.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a video of this. There are some seriously bad drivers in my area, so it shouldn't be too hard to put myself into a controlled situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Not the best of alert systems but I haven’t had it blank out on me yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Just wanted to give a quick update. No video however, sorry.

Pulling out of a Costco parking lot, large vehicles on both sides, there was for sure both an audible beeping and red patches on top down view as I backed out and then stopped as a nob sped by.

So when working as intended, it works well. It detects the vehicle before it ever enters the visible range of the top down camera. And it appears to keep the beeping up till the vehicle has gone halfway past the rear. the red patches follow till the car is completely out if range.

System seems pretty damn good to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
Just wanted to give a quick update. No video however, sorry.

Pulling out of a Costco parking lot, large vehicles on both sides, there was for sure both an audible beeping and red patches on top down view as I backed out and then stopped as a nob sped by.

So when working as intended, it works well. It detects the vehicle before it ever enters the visible range of the top down camera. And it appears to keep the beeping up till the vehicle has gone halfway past the rear. the red patches follow till the car is completely out if range.

System seems pretty damn good to me.
Good to hear. Maybe I just haven't operated my X3 under the same reversing situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

It has worked for me as well, but I notice that it is not as sensitive as the version in my Lexus IS. The warning seems to only sound if it thinks a collision would occur, whereas in the Lexus, it is triggered much more easily, even when cars were not really that close. I wonder if there is a way to code it to adjust the threshold for the beeping to go off, like you can with the blind spot monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
my driveway is on an incline but not that steep though. I reverse out and the test drive x3 I had would slam on the brakes.

at first i thought WTH, as I had no idea what had just happened. I was reversing at maybe no more than walking pace when this happens and it is really abrupt and jarring as if you had actually hit something.

it must have thought the car was going to hit the road at that angle. To avoid this I have to reverse very slowly.

Through all this no warning whatsoever visual or audible to tell you what just happened or is happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
There are two types of alerts going on here.. There is an alert that is audible and visual when you have the rear camera view and top down view. This detects closer cross traffic. When you press on the camera button while in reverse, you will get the full wide rear view (no top down) - and this will alert you to further oncoming traffic by flashing the edge of the screen but there is no audio.

Same when in Drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

We are talking about 2 totally different systems here.

What you described was backup obstacle detection with brake intervention.
The system discussed in this post was cross traffic alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
my driveway is on an incline but not that steep though. I reverse out and the test drive x3 I had would slam on the brakes.

at first i thought WTH, as I had no idea what had just happened. I was reversing at maybe no more than walking pace when this happens and it is really abrupt and jarring as if you had actually hit something.

it must have thought the car was going to hit the road at that angle. To avoid this I have to reverse very slowly.

Through all this no warning whatsoever visual or audible to tell you what just happened or is happening.
Appreciate 0