BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

New and blue

I'll have had my new 40M 2 weeks this coming Saturday. It's blue with the black interior with blue stitching.

So far I love it. I'm coming from a 435 Gran Coupe with the M package and adaptive suspension.

The X3 has premium/executive and the adaptive suspension plus 20" rims. I REALLY didn't want the bigger rims because frankly the roads suck in NJ and I didn't really want to get another set of wheels/tires for the winter. The only ones around with adaptive in a color combo I'd be ok with had the bigger rims, though. I've been keenly following the 3rd party wheel thread on here and will likely get a set of 19s with the factory all season Bridgestones that look vaguely similar to the factory 20 rims.

This past weekend I was able for the first time to really let it stretch out when I went out to the Poconos to visit my mom. There's a windy back road I take that luckily no one was in front of me for the whole way. I was surprised at how well an SUV stuck to the road in cornering and going and down dips in the road. I loved how with spirited driving the burps and farts out back became crisp SNAPS.

This past weekend I also enlisted the able help of Almaretto for some option coding. Nothing fancy, just remove the disclaimer/welcome bongs and enable the variable/antiglare headlights. Also have long press tailgate and close tailgate from the key. Highly recommend his services!

Few things about that are annoying:
1. No lighter port in the passenger foot well. This was kind of a drag as all the BMW I can remember have had one and I've gotten used to powering my V1 off of it plus an HT ham radio I mount in the cup holder. Instead I ran an extension from the rear console to the (small) glove box and put a splitter and the other wiring in there.

2. You have to choose between having the odometer/trip meter and the gas consumption "fun" gauge. I don't see why I have to choose between them when there's plenty of screen real estate to fit the odometer/trip as an always on field. Just get rid of the M40 log! Seriously.. I don't need to be reminded what car I'm driving every time I look down at the instrument cluster.

3. I don't get the appeal of Apple Carplay. To me it keeps popping up when I don't want it and isn't there when I do want it. When it's connected to the phone the phone itself doesn't run right. I was trying to use Waze and it wouldn't accept any screen input and it seemed to be stuck in voice input mode or something. Then it seemed like every time I turned the car on it would start playing music from the Music app.

The Bluetooth audio interface also seemed MUCH slower than on my last car. Switching songs would take about 15 seconds between tracks. Instead I disabled Carplay and BT audio and converted all my ALAC files to FLAC and put them on a 256GB Sandisk flash drive of the type that's the size of a thumbnail. It's basically flush with the USB port on the console and plays everything fast, plus has the added advantage of not having the BT audio compression. Works even better than when I used to use an actual iPod for the transport.

Maybe Carplay will be better under iOS 12 but for now to me it's better turned off.

4. The steering wheel. While it's not a bad wheel and I can definitely live with it, my last 4 cars had the M package so had M wheel. This one is the first one I've ever had that has an "M" in the model number and the first of the 4 to have a normal wheel.

Here are some gratuitous pics of the same car we all have:

John
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Ragnarkov126.50
PX3139.50
ando2000.50
Max Well4734.50
      07-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Every time I see a picture of it real world, it just looks so good (as opposed to marketing or review images).

And I love those rims. It's what I optioned with my 30i, and I couldn't be happier.

What's the shiny thing upper left of your dash?

Oh, and grats on the car. I think there are very few people who aren't happy with their purchase
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
Every time I see a picture of it real world, it just looks so good (as opposed to marketing or review images).

And I love those rims. It's what I optioned with my 30i, and I couldn't be happier.

What's the shiny thing upper left of your dash?

Oh, and grats on the car. I think there are very few people who aren't happy with their purchase
Thanks!

It's a blind spot mirror. http://www.autobahnmirror.com/
I've been using the same one since my first BMW in 2001. Just take it off and put a new adhesive disk on it. I'm so used to having it that whenever I drive a new one home I'm like rainman looking in the side view a million times at different angles before I change lanes.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post
I'll have had my new 40M 2 weeks this coming Saturday. It's blue with the black interior with blue stitching.

So far I love it. I'm coming from a 435 Gran Coupe with the M package and adaptive suspension.

The X3 has premium/executive and the adaptive suspension plus 20" rims. I REALLY didn't want the bigger rims because frankly the roads suck in NJ and I didn't really want to get another set of wheels/tires for the winter. The only ones around with adaptive in a color combo I'd be ok with had the bigger rims, though. I've been keenly following the 3rd party wheel thread on here and will likely get a set of 19s with the factory all season Bridgestones that look vaguely similar to the factory 20 rims.

This past weekend I was able for the first time to really let it stretch out when I went out to the Poconos to visit my mom. There's a windy back road I take that luckily no one was in front of me for the whole way. I was surprised at how well an SUV stuck to the road in cornering and going and down dips in the road. I loved how with spirited driving the burps and farts out back became crisp SNAPS.

This past weekend I also enlisted the able help of Almaretto for some option coding. Nothing fancy, just remove the disclaimer/welcome bongs and enable the variable/antiglare headlights. Also have long press tailgate and close tailgate from the key. Highly recommend his services!

1. No lighter port in the passenger foot well. This was kind of a drag as all the BMW I can remember have had one and I've gotten used to powering my V1 off of it plus an HT ham radio I mount in the cup holder. Instead I ran an extension from the rear console to the (small) glove box and put a splitter and the other wiring in there.

2. You have to choose between having the odometer/trip meter and the gas consumption "fun" gauge. I don't see why I have to choose between them when there's plenty of screen real estate to fit the odometer/trip as an always on field. Just get rid of the M40 log! Seriously.. I don't need to be reminded what car I'm driving every time I look down at the instrument cluster.

3. I don't get the appeal of Apple Carplay. To me it keeps popping up when I don't want it and isn't there when I do want it. When it's connected to the phone the phone itself doesn't run right. I was trying to use Waze and it wouldn't accept any screen input and it seemed to be stuck in voice input mode or something. Then it seemed like every time I turned the car on it would start playing music from the Music app.

The Bluetooth audio interface also seemed MUCH slower than on my last car. Switching songs would take about 15 seconds between tracks. Instead I disabled Carplay and BT audio and converted all my ALAC files to FLAC and put them on a 256GB Sandisk flash drive of the type that's the size of a thumbnail. It's basically flush with the USB port on the console and plays everything fast, plus has the added advantage of not having the BT audio compression. Works even better than when I used to use an actual iPod for the transport.

Maybe Carplay will be better under iOS 12 but for now to me it's better turned off.

4. The steering wheel. While it's not a bad wheel and I can definitely live with it, my last 4 cars had the M package so had M wheel. This one is the first one I've ever had that has an "M" in the model number and the first of the 4 to have a normal wheel.

John
Congrats! You let them drill the license plate frame into the front bumper? brave.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
Congrats! You let them drill the license plate frame into the front bumper? brave.
Nah, I did it myself so I could mount my EZpass tag. Would have been nice if they gave me the screws with the bracket, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnj View Post

John
I'm amazed at how many dealers just do this without asking. I was fine with it, but I know many who aren't.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I did too. I was initially worried, but turned out to be a non-issue, and one less thing to worry about a cop pulling me over for.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      07-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
I did too. I was initially worried, but turned out to be a non-issue, and one less thing to worry about a cop pulling me over for.
Yeah, the tabs on the bracket only really let you put it in the right spot.
Evidently my dealer makes people sign a waiver to not put the front plate on because some jackass sued them because he got tickets without it and blamed them.

I usually have them put it on before I pick it up but for some reason they ignored that request this time. I didn't want to be waving around my external EZpass every time I went through a toll so I put it on myself before the plates came.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

I have what is going to be a really stupid question. But my EZpass is mounted on my windshield, inside, at the top and to the right of the rear view mirror. Works like a charm. What are you mounting outside that is different?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenflyer View Post
I have what is going to be a really stupid question. But my EZpass is mounted on my windshield, inside, at the top and to the right of the rear view mirror. Works like a charm. What are you mounting outside that is different?
On the pic of the front of the car, do you see the black rectangular thing at the top of the license plate bracket? That's an external EZpass tag.

They make them for cars with the metal foil on the windshield which blocks RF, but I like using it because those little suction cup holders always fall off for me and and the 3M locking adhesive stuff is a bitch to get off.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #11
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Congrats!

So soon with the front plates! But I get it, some places are a lot more strict than others.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and no front plates and dealer paper plate in the rear and I had a meter maid circling my car 3 or 4 times yesterday trying to cite me

I saw him radio for a tow truck so I hit unlock on the fob and went down there to move it and surprisingly he didn't give me any problems.
      07-13-2018, 03:01 AM   #12
carbon80
Private
Rep
Drives: x3

Looking great! I keep going to change my mind about the blue which i have ordered to black. But it looks so nice in blue!!

I feel sorry for you American guys with tha steering wheel in fairness
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #13
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon80 View Post
Looking great! I keep going to change my mind about the blue which i have ordered to black. But it looks so nice in blue!!

I feel sorry for you American guys with tha steering wheel in fairness
I feel sorry for us Europeans paying 50% more for the vehicle
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2018, 05:32 AM   #14
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
Exactly!
      07-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #15
carbon80
Private
Rep

Quote:
HAHAHA. OK, Fair point well made
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Quote:
I feel sorry for us from Holland, paying 65% more than Sweden, and 130% more than US
US M40i (base price) = 46.791 Euro = $54,500
Sweden M40i (base price) = 65.000 Euro = 645.000 SEK
Holland M40i (base price) = 108.000 Euro = $126,000
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 2
titomi926.00
      07-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Zembla
Rep
Drives: X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland85 View Post
I feel sorry for us from Holland, paying 65% more than Sweden, and 130% more than US
Very much this :S I'll drive a car with a cardboard steering wheel if it somehow puts me in the US price ranges. Or, for that matter, the US delivery times. I'm into week 19, still no car.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #18
carbon80
Private
Rep

Quote:
$108'000 WOW thats unbelieveble!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
ac328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328is, 528e, 335i, X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Does your car trigger the X band on your V1?
2006 SG E85 Z4 3.0si
1996 AW E36 328is (original owner) 1986 DG E28 528e
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac328 View Post
Does your car trigger the X band on your V1?
Nope, just laser. I turned it off on the V1.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I can no unfortunately add this pic to the collection.

See tailgate gremlin thread....

Just got an estimate to fix it: $550.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #22
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Have you compared the standard options between M40i on these different markets? It looks like it differs a bit .. But of course not covering the whole gap.

/n
Appreciate 0