BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Unhappy Clunking Sound Right Rear

My BRAND NEW X3 M40i at 500 miles starting making a clunking sound that is in rhythm with the rotation of the tire. It seems to only appear when the car is very warm and after a period of driving at highway speeds, as you slow down to a stop and then firmly press the brake. As you drive off, usually on a up hill grade, you hear this clunk clunk clunk sound.

At first is was only 3 time, but now it is getting long and louder.

Does not matter which mode, sport, comfort or Eco. Does not matter if you turn off the DTS. But there is this stutle feeling of wandering in back ..that is not comfortables, at highway speeds on the lanes that are groved.

Any one else having this problem??. The dealer is stumped so far...but giving it a really good effort. Beginning to think I got a lemon.

Need the bimmer geeks to kick in here....
      07-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
A lot of us have this. I brought my car in and they said they fixed it and it seemed fine for a day but came back almost immediately.

Seems to only happen sometimes but when it does it's infuriating and does seem more related to simple movement of the car rather than just hitting bumps.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Some others have reported defective exhaust hangers with a similar sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. I believe a few had had their exhaust system replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Some others have reported defective exhaust hangers with a similar sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. I believe a few had had their exhaust system replaced.
I'm waiting to have that happen but it's on backorder right now. They said it could be a month or two to get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdth View Post
A lot of us have this. I brought my car in and they said they fixed it and it seemed fine for a day but came back almost immediately.

Seems to only happen sometimes but when it does it's infuriating and does seem more related to simple movement of the car rather than just hitting bumps.
Really. I found the pattern that makes the sound happen and heat it the primary issue. If you press the brake down hard, after driving at highway speeds, it happens almost immediately after starting up from a stop.

But is also started to feel like push and pull from the back end at highway speeds, especially on roads that are grooved. That I can't live with, it feels unsafe. The dealer fixed it by re tightening the suspension, but within a couple days both problems reappeared. That is a safety issue to me. Have you seen similar problems?
      07-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdth View Post

Really. I found the pattern that makes the sound happen and heat it the primary issue. If you press the brake down hard, after driving at highway speeds, it happens almost immediately after starting up from a stop.

But is also started to feel like push and pull from the back end at highway speeds, especially on roads that are grooved. That I can't live with, it feels unsafe. The dealer fixed it by re tightening the suspension, but within a couple days both problems reappeared. That is a safety issue to me. Have you seen similar problems?
I had the exhaust replaced. Wife (her daily) says rattle it still there after pressing on the brakes. I rode in the passenger seat Friday and noticed it a little but it is not bad.

Not sure what else to do
Appreciate 0