E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Almost the End of My E90

06-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
aj90
Budget Builder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i, 17' 330i, 18' 440i

Almost the End of My E90

Yesterday morning, I woke up early to polish my car and begin my CIC retrofit / LCI conversion. I spent a total of six hours claying, waxing, and polishing my car, making sure that every square inch got detailed. I had been collecting parts for the CIC system and LCI Hood/Tailights/Etc. over the past few months, digging through wrecked E90's at the local junkyard, and I was so excited to finally start putting it together. I ran out of time as I was supposed to pick up a friend, so I postponed the retrofit until after I got home from lunch. On my way home, as soon as I dropped off my friend at his house, I was nearly involved in an accident. I am still a little rattled that I could've lost my car if I hadn't been so attentive. Luckily, I was able to avoid the driver that turned in front of me, but had I been changing the station or looking away for a second, I would've hit him and most likely totaled my 3er. I don't know how he didn't see me with it being broad daylight and having my DRLs on. It amazes me that such carelessness could've taken away something I dearly cherished, something I poured hours into maintaining and customizing to be mine.

Be careful out on the road, guys, you can never predict the idiocy of other drivers.

Appreciate 4
Phyrexia502.50
tgyberg87.50
KClemente104.50
      06-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

yes u did well to avoid it, there are tons of idiots out there not paying attention
Appreciate 1
mo_3355.00
      06-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
320IN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i, 2021 BMW M2C

Its pretty crazy in OC I have almost gotten hit more times in the year I spent there than all my years of driving. I literally had two people almost hit me just two days ago. The first time was when a car tried to cut me off and forced his way in with a half a car space between me and the car in front of me. The second was when I was driving down a residential area and the car stopped literally pulled in front of me while I was going straight.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander7744 View Post
Yesterday morning, I woke up early to polish my car and begin my CIC retrofit / LCI conversion. I spent a total of six hours claying, waxing, and polishing my car, making sure that every square inch got detailed. I had been collecting parts for the CIC system and LCI Hood/Tailights/Etc. over the past few months, digging through wrecked E90's at the local junkyard, and I was so excited to finally start putting it together. I ran out of time as I was supposed to pick up a friend, so I postponed the retrofit until after I got home from lunch. On my way home, as soon as I dropped off my friend at his house, I was nearly involved in an accident. I am still a little rattled that I could've lost my car if I hadn't been so attentive. Luckily, I was able to avoid the driver that turned in front of me, but had I been changing the station or looking away for a second, I would've hit him and most likely totaled my 3er. I don't know how he didn't see me with it being broad daylight and having my DRLs on. It amazes me that such carelessness could've taken away something I dearly cherished, something I poured hours into maintaining and customizing to be mine.

Be careful out on the road, guys, you can never predict the idiocy of other drivers.

You can't fix stupid man. Good attentiveness. Honestly if you hit, I doubt it would have been major. But at the end of the day any accident sucks.

Keep us updated on your retrofit/ lci conversion!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Remember: ZBE= LOW if your knob doesn't work on your retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

What a fucking moron that POS accord driver was!! What kind of brake pads, rotors, and tires did you have on?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:30 AM   #8
aj90
Budget Builder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned View Post
Its pretty crazy in OC I have almost gotten hit more times in the year I spent there than all my years of driving. I literally had two people almost hit me just two days ago. The first time was when a car tried to cut me off and forced his way in with a half a car space between me and the car in front of me. The second was when I was driving down a residential area and the car stopped literally pulled in front of me while I was going straight.
OC driving has been hell lately. I have encounters with other drivers all the time but this was the first "extreme" one I've had. You can never predict whats going through the minds of other drivers, but OC drivers are another kind of stupid haha. Stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
You can't fix stupid man. Good attentiveness. Honestly if you hit, I doubt it would have been major. But at the end of the day any accident sucks.

Keep us updated on your retrofit/ lci conversion!
I'll be starting a thread on the transformation soon so stay posted! Didn't realize all the wiring that needs to be done in order to convert the car.

Quote:
Did that end up being the problem for yours? My friend never got back to me, but I hope he was able to help you out. Is the whole set-up working now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
What a fucking moron that POS accord driver was!! What kind of brake pads, rotors, and tires did you have on?
I'm running stock rotors with Hawk HPS pads + Michelin Pilot Sport 4S'. Just got the tires last month so I guess they're officially broken in now .
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
This is why as much as I love the car hobby, for every 1hr I put into my car, I make sure I put 2hrs into my house.
Appreciate 3
Phyrexia502.50
aj9036.50
      06-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

that exact scenario has happened to me in a downtown busy Toronto setting. My instinct was to avoid the crash so i turned sharply right like you, and ended up on the sidewalk almost hit a pedestrian..the other driver was an asian woman hahahah love to stereotype.
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
E902009
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I truly believe that, in 2018, we are at the point where we need to assume everyone on the road is an idiot. Good job avoiding hitting that car and ruin your day. Unfortunately I've seen too many of similar moronic behaviors myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

People are just downright oblivious to their surroundings and motoring relies heavily on being attentive. Lots of people just don't give a shit, frustrating. Great job avoiding that OP, but had you been struck, I'd bet that D-bag would have acted like it was your fault. Pffft, accountability is something else society has almost depleted.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death and we just hand out licenses to every f****** moron that walks into a DMV.
      06-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Did that end up being the problem for yours? My friend never got back to me, but I hope he was able to help you out. Is the whole set-up working now?
I figured it out from an E60 forum. I never got a text from him. Everything is working now.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #15
aj90
Budget Builder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Hummus View Post
wow, nice job avoiding that one! good reaction time/instincts. the driver of that accord is fuckin stupid. I'm wondering if it would've made more sense to just go around him on the wrong side of the road in such a situation.
Yeah I thought about going left but I saw the Camry in the background and didn't know if he was going straight or turning so I turned right but once I committed and I had to go all the way or else I would've hit him. I didn't expect him to continue towards me that closely. After any situation like that I spend my time thinking about all of the things I could've done differently but once you're in the moment, it feels like all the thinking goes out the window and its just up to your instincts haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:50 PM   #16
aj90
Budget Builder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
People are just downright oblivious to their surroundings and motoring relies heavily on being attentive. Lots of people just don't give a shit, frustrating. Great job avoiding that OP, but had you been struck, I'd bet that D-bag would have acted like it was your fault. Pffft, accountability is something else society has almost depleted.
He threw his arms up at me after, I just cut out the part where I cussed at him. Didn't think it was appropriate for the forums .

Quote:
I figured it out from an E60 forum. I never got a text from him. Everything is working now.
Glad everything worked out. I'll be tackling mine hopefully next week because I've been super busy. I'm hoping to score a set of LCI mirrors this weekend so I'll have some black folding mirrors that I won't be using.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #17
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
He threw his arms up at me after, I just cut out the part where I cussed at him. Didn't think it was appropriate for the forums .

Don't you love that? I was t-boned in 2008 while sitting at a stop sign. Woman who was doing 50 in a snow storm lost control and hit me, totaling my vehicle. She gets out and starts yelling at me for being there. If I wasn't a little dizzy from smacking my head on the A-pillar I would've strangled her right there in the street.

Some people are just clueless.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #18
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyeah View Post
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death and we just hand out licenses to every f****** moron that walks into a DMV.
That is one thing that is getting annoying. People hand wring about making cars safer, but then also flip out when the safer cars become more expensive and then become less accessible to those with lower incomes. They complain about it but its just virtue signaling.

But if you talk about raising the standards to actually get (and keep) a license they parrot gun nuts, like youre denying a human right.

There is a reason Germany is safer than here despite greater access to alcohol and areas of unlimited speed. Its because getting a license is a big deal there and losing it is easy. So they take care to follow the rules and drive well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
That is one thing that is getting annoying. People hand wring about making cars safer, but then also flip out when the safer cars become more expensive and then become less accessible to those with lower incomes. They complain about it but its just virtue signaling.

But if you talk about raising the standards to actually get (and keep) a license they parrot gun nuts, like youre denying a human right.

There is a reason Germany is safer than here despite greater access to alcohol and areas of unlimited speed. Its because getting a license is a big deal there and losing it is easy. So they take care to follow the rules and drive well.
Well even pro-gun people support strong background checks and more rigid requirements to buy a gun. They just push back on restrictions on what types of guns you are allowed to own. The current process for getting a drivers license is such a joke.
      06-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #20
navci
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330I N53

well done on keeping your eyes on the road..that man clearly was not..did not even indicate by the looks of it!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyeah View Post
Well even pro-gun people support strong background checks and more rigid requirements to buy a gun. They just push back on restrictions on what types of guns you are allowed to own. The current process for getting a drivers license is such a joke.
Yup and so is maintaining one. When I worked in the insurance industry many of the claims I handled involved AARP drivers.

By the end I wasn't sure what was worse, elderly drivers or drunks. There was recently a hit and run in my sister's neighborhood. An elderly woman (who left a dinner party and might have had a drink or two) ran over a young guy walking home, and she kept driving. The guy was in the ICU for a while but survived. She thought she hit a trash can.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #22
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Hummus View Post
You just contradicted yourself in your own post. It's not the safety of the cars that matters, but the safety of the person behind the wheel...
Some things that are mandatory on new vehicles are very beneficial, such as airbags, crush zones, unibody construction, etc. Other features can actually be very distracting for drivers such as infotainment, backup cameras, blind spot monitoring, etc, and take their eyes off the road and cause them to rely on these systems. It is like a pilot who is relying 100% on instrumentation but never looks out the windshield to realize the ground is approaching.

Appreciate 0