E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Weird "Shifting" and Other Questions

06-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i

E90 Weird "Shifting" and Other Questions

So, I think my E90 did something weird today. I've never seen it do this to my knowledge. So, I was taking a turn and let off of my accelerator long enough to complete the first half of the turn, then about halfway or so into the turn, I accelerated and as I began to accelerate the Car sort of did the typical jerky shift feel type thing when its being given acceleration at a lower speed, but instead of shifting the RPMs just sat at around 1.7k (I think?) and wobbled up and down very slightly under acceleration. I saw this, let off the gas, and then accelerated again with no problems as far as I know. Any Idea what this was? My car has always sort of hesitated in 2nd or 3rd gear under acceleration when its shifting, and the feeling is sort of the same.

Another thing I noticed today, I turned off the car and got outside it, noticed a sort of metallic "draining noise" (sounding like a ticking noise) from the rear of the car ( I think this may be normal?) however, from the rear of the car I swear I heard, and hear me out on this, what sounded to me like air pressure or something being released (read: my car broke wind). Any ideas what this may be either?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:42 PM   #2
B0ysiE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (e90)

I experienced the turn before and then the car would jerk. But never looked into it. I'm also curious. Anyone else had that experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

I've also experienced this! Only once though, around the 99K miles mark when I was playing in manual mode in 1st gear while making a left turn.

Have you guys done a transmission fluid change? I did a transmission fluid drain at ~101K miles, ran it for around ~5K miles, then drained fluid, changed the transmission filter and refilled with Valvoline Dexron VI. My transmission now behaves wonderfully, never ran into that weird hesitation again and I'm at 122K miles now.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Jake_Petersen_E91
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i SportWagon (E91)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Carly For BMW

I just had something similar happen not too long ago. However the issue for me was a misfire for pushing so much in the low RPMs I think it may have kinda flooded itself out. But after , it was fine and I cleared the code using Carly For BMW and I haven't had an issue since. Also, I just did a trans fluid change and it does feel a lot smoother so, I would recommend that as well. Best of luck to ya!
      06-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

I got my e92 at about 50k miles and later noticed tranny was weird (vibrations) so had a fluid change and that completely fixed the problem. As it got older I noticed transmission gradually got more sluggish and sometimes jerky. I was planing to do another tranny fluid change but ended up selling it at about 108k miles.

I'd say transmission deterioration is somewhat expected; fluid change may improve it.
Appreciate 0