BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

2019 M Sport Differential (2T4) Option

Thanks to Jason's attachment yesterday of the 2019 G01 Pricing and Ordering guides we can now finalize our 2019 order, but one question my wife is asking which I'm not able to answer fully - what exactly does the 2T4 do, and how relevant are the possible benefits outside of track situations?

I've seen BMW Group's press release, "the new M Sport differential. Through a targeted locking effect on the rear axle, the electronically controlled system, which is linked to the DSC stability programme, creates the optimum prerequisites for even more dynamic acceleration out of bends." [ https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...spring-of-2018 ]

Most of the other items have allowed an educated guess as to how the option or package may affect safety or comfort or day-to-day handling, but I honestly have no idea on this one. At $1300, it would be helpful to have some insight. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 2
yllwwgn170.00
ando2000.50
      06-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Probably only noticeable when mashing throttle during a turn in slippery conditions so depends on how many times you plan on doing that.
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

I am still baffled by how this new year model concept works. When I placed my order it was in expectation or getting a 2018 in June, but now my build is August so will I still get a 2018 build that happens to be in August or will I get a 2019, along with any extra standard goodies and changes that I wasn't even away of when I ordered? I know I will get the diff but I have not been charged extra for that or for anything else. Had thought the diff was standard, or is it $1300 only for non-M40i?
So can someone tell me if I am really gaining anything from having my build delayed till August? Is it a big deal to have a 2019 instead of a 2018 (assuming that is what I will end up with)?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
All things equal, a one year newer car is worth more on resale
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Probably only noticeable when mashing throttle during a turn in slippery conditions so depends on how many times you plan on doing that.
Thanks for the input, pheerIx - after I shared that with my wife she crossed that off our order. Just sent the order for our 2019 X3 M40i to our Client Advisor (minus that option).

I understand your confusion, snakehips - maybe your Client Advisor can fill you in on what you are actually getting. It appears on Jason's Pricing Guide that the 2T4 is only available on the X3 M40i, and it is indeed a $1,300 dollar option (at least for the USA - maybe that is another region-specific item?).
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      06-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Yeah it’s interesting because it’s an electronically controlled diff meant to simulate differential lock up, which in theory would actually be great under fairly extreme throttle application, especially in tight corners. In the dry though, you’d have to explore those limits fairly aggressively, especially if you plan on seeing if you can hang the tail out, Ken Block style. Again I say in theory, because as appealing as the “idea” of doing that is, it’s definitely more of a driving at 9/10ths or more situation. It would probably be more beneficial to those who live in snowy or really wet/muddy conditions, as you could rotate the back end under lower limits, and do so more safely.

At 1st I was like “oh crap, wish I waited for the 2019 instead of the 2018”. But realistically, it’s doubtful too many folks will would ever fully take advantage of the benefits of the M-diff regularly. This is what I tell myself. So as not to have any possible regrets. Haha 😂
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      06-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
At 1st I was like “oh crap, wish I waited for the 2019 instead of the 2018”. But realistically, it’s doubtful too many folks will would ever fully take advantage of the benefits of the M-diff regularly. This is what I tell myself. So as not to have any possible regrets. Haha 😂
99.8% of us would never take advantage of this option under street use. Save your money.
Appreciate 4
      06-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for the input, pheerIx - after I shared that with my wife she crossed that off our order. Just sent the order for our 2019 X3 M40i to our Client Advisor (minus that option).

I understand your confusion, snakehips - maybe your Client Advisor can fill you in on what you are actually getting. It appears on Jason's Pricing Guide that the 2T4 is only available on the X3 M40i, and it is indeed a $1,300 dollar option (at least for the USA - maybe that is another region-specific item?).
So you are buying a second M40i?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #9
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
All things equal, a one year newer car is worth more on resale
It's like that in the US, but in Europe it is much more based on actual first registration date (of course unless there is a new model of the same car). Somehow the US system doesn't make much sense to me, as you can have a 2017 model e.g. produced in July 2017 vs. one produced in August 2016, how would those have the same value as one vehicle is nearly one year older?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
99.8% of us would never take advantage of this option under street use. Save your money.
Agreed. So many people are hung up on not having this option, but how many will actually put it to use?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #11
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Agreed. So many people are hung up on not having this option, but how many will actually put it to use?
Much like the carbon ceramic brakes on M-cars...
      06-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
Somehow the US system doesn't make much sense to me, as you can have a 2017 model e.g. produced in July 2017 vs. one produced in August 2016, how would those have the same value as one vehicle is nearly one year older?
I agree with you. But keep in mind the earlier produced car would probably have more miles and therefore have a lower value. That tends to address the issue of registration timing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #13
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
Much like the carbon ceramic brakes on M-cars...
Yeah having performance-specific parts on cars can be hit or miss in terms of actual functionality. For example on Audi S4's, the performance read diff option was almost a MUST! The cars drove completely differently and rotated nicely with the $1,100 option, while without them pushed around like sloppy pigs in mud. Whereas carbon ceramic brakes, unless the vehicle is tracked regularly, total overkill for the street... not to mention higher maintenance costs.

The M Sport rear diff is great as an option, but unless utilized regularly, just a cool option box to have ticked otherwise. Use the $1,300 instead on some aftermarket wheels or something else that you can use/see DAILY. My $.02

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 2
Max Well4734.50
pej744593.00
      06-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Yes. Our 2015 LCI is coming out of warranty end of this month and there isn't another vehicle we would wish to have, other than the G01. For us, it remains the perfect blend of performance, size, and utility. Efficient to run, a blast to drive, and with interior appointments which we really like/enjoy. Last weekend my wife got her first opportunity to drive it on the Interstate as she had to go out of town for the day and I couldn't go with her (I usually drive on our long trips). She couldn't believe the acceleration she had available when she needed it!! It is going to be similar to our 2018, only this time Sapphire Black like our 2015 and the addition of Adaptive suspension and the Driver Assist Plus (figured we'd give the active cruise a try).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
The M Sport rear diff is great as an option, but unless utilized regularly, just a cool option box to have ticked otherwise. Use the $1,300 instead on some aftermarket wheels or something else that you can use/see DAILY. My $.02
That makes sense. I'm still waiting to see what else Schnitzer comes up with, and hopefully the M Performance parts will introduce more this Summer as well (diffuser especially, for us at least).
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      06-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #15
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Our 2015 LCI is coming out of warranty end of this month and there isn't another vehicle we would wish to have, other than the G01. For us, it remains the perfect blend of performance, size, and utility. Efficient to run, a blast to drive, and with interior appointments which we really like/enjoy. Last weekend my wife got her first opportunity to drive it on the Interstate as she had to go out of town for the day and I couldn't go with her (I usually drive on our long trips). She couldn't believe the acceleration she had available when she needed it!! It is going to be similar to our 2018, only this time Sapphire Black like our 2015 and the addition of Adaptive suspension and the Driver Assist Plus (figured we'd give the active cruise a try).
Well that might be a 1st on here, a future owner with 2 X3M40i's haha... when ONE just isn't enough. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      06-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That makes sense. I'm still waiting to see what else Schnitzer comes up with, and hopefully the M Performance parts will introduce more this Summer as well (diffuser especially, for us at least).
Congrats! It would be interesting to get your take when you get it on adaptive damper vs none.
Appreciate 2
ZHPsedan135.50
Max Well4734.50
      06-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #17
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Interesting. Great vehicles but two of the same vehicle is a bit 'extra' for us. My wife opted for the New CX-5 rather than an X1. I know, apples and oranges.

It's all subjective, again, great vehicles. Why not wait for the X3 M?
Max Well4734.50
      06-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
My wife opted for the New CX-5 rather than an X1. I know, apples and oranges.
Don't blame her at all. FWD biased transverse engine layout BMWs shouldn't exist. Those are called Minis.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4734.50
M3X3Z326.00
      06-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #19
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Congrats! It would be interesting to get your take when you get it on adaptive damper vs none.
Thanks, X4guy. Agree - we're also interested in experiencing the adaptive suspension after reading everyone's positive comments about it. Although we think our current ride without it on our 19" performance RFT Yokohamas is just fine, there must be something to it with all of the rave reviews.

Quote:
Interesting. Great vehicles but two of the same vehicle is a bit 'extra' for us. My wife opted for the New CX-5 rather than an X1. I know, apples and oranges. It's all subjective, again, great vehicles. Why not wait for the X3 M?
The X3 M is going to be an amazing vehicle without a doubt, but at this stage in our lives the X3 M40i provides all the power and performance we need. Granted there is much more to an 'M' than just the engine, but it seems doubtful we'd be able to fully appreciate all of it's enhanced offerings as much as we would've 30-40 years ago. But I'm looking forward to living vicariously through all of you buying one and sharing your experiences in the F97 Forum!

Also, since my wife always gets the new X3 and I get her older model, we like having the flexibility of using either one and not missing out on what it offers in performance, cabin experience, and/or utility when out and about either locally or during trips, regardless of the one we're driving.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, X4guy. Agree - we're also interested in experiencing the adaptive suspension after reading everyone's positive comments about it. Although we think our current ride without it on our 19" performance RFT Yokohamas is just fine, there must be something to it with all of the rave reviews.

The X3 M is going to be an amazing vehicle without a doubt, but at this stage in our lives the X3 M40i provides all the power and performance we need. Granted there is much more to an 'M' than just the engine, but it seems doubtful we'd be able to fully appreciate all of it's enhanced offerings as much as we would've 30-40 years ago. But I'm looking forward to living vicariously through all of you buying one and sharing your experiences in the F97 Forum!

Also, since my wife always gets the new X3 and I get her older model, we like having the flexibility of using either one and not missing out on what it offers in performance, cabin experience, and/or utility when out and about either locally or during trips, regardless of the one we're driving.
Just curious, does your non adaptive damper M40i have that suspension tick and rattle in that long thread of M40i owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #21
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just curious, does your non adaptive damper M40i have that suspension tick and rattle in that long thread of M40i owners.
No, nor the wind noise (if those are two different things).
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      06-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
Don't blame her at all. FWD biased transverse engine layout BMWs shouldn't exist. Those are called Minis.
That's exactly how I feel.
Appreciate 0