BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Is it a risk to ask for a full software update?

06-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
Rob500
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530i SE

Is it a risk to ask for a full software update?

My G30 is now about a year old and I'm taking it to my dealer for a free health check and some other very minor things. Although I have all the Driver Assistance packages it does not have Lane Change Assist as this has only been on cars made later in 2017. I spoke to a BMW Genius at my dealer who said that a full software update might enable it.

I'm just wondering whether it is worth trying to get them to update all the software in the hope that Lane Change Assist will then work or is it better to leave it alone if everything else is working OK? It would be quite nice to have the extra feature but I don't really need it.

I guess what I'm really saying is how much of a risk is a full software update?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'd have thought the risk is next to zero. Bmw are making the change so should anything go wrong, the onus is with them. I'm sure they do this occasions to sort out issues so I don't see this as being an issue.
Whether it gives you lane change assist is questionable , it might still need to turned on.

Don't see any harm trying if bmw are happy to do it
Appreciate 0