E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My Story: 335i (in the proper section now)

06-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #1
ap0ll016
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

My Story: 335i (in the proper section now)

Well, you read it in the title. Here is my story. To begin, I want to say that this is my first post, I am not familiar with forums and the specifics of formatting, so please bare with me (I already posted in the M3 portion by accident, whoops). This is my first forum post EVER outside of mandatory college BS.

My name is Matt, I just purchased a beautiful 2008 E92 335i, I have been in the market for oh lets say.. 2 years? But I finally found the perfect deal, and the perfect car. Just a little background of myself, I have had multiple Audi's (still have a B5 A4), multiple Jeeps (still have a JK on 37s), and I did once have a big turbo tC, RIP. Also, I have a CRF450R Supermoto, if any of you are into that kind of thing. I am no stranger to the world of cars, bikes, guns, you name it, I have probably done it. This post isn't about that, its about the 335.

Tomorrow morning my best friend is picking up the car, it was purchased for an astounding $6,400, has about 103k miles on it, zero defects on both exterior and interior. The car looks brand new, pics to follow.. Some may be wondering how I got it so cheap, well, it was an auction car. Because it sold green light, my friend was able to test drive it. During the short drive, CEL came on, and he noticed some coolant leaking from the radiator (pinhole that was being covered with super glue, goteem). Not to mention there's oil coming from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. With all these issues, it was taken over to the on site mechanics who verified everything, AND mentioned the wastegates are making some familiar noises. At this point most people would run, but us, we made an insanely low offer as we had already won the car. After a few days of this, we agreed on a the price mentioned above. The best part is, all of the left over money I had budgeted for the car is covering ALL maintenance to get the car back to "daily driving" capabilities.

The fun doesn't stop there.. We had pre plans of going single turbo, and now because everything has happened so cheap, I see a doc race 6266 kit in the very near future, especially being that the stock turbos are on their way out. I have been researching day in and day out trying to figure out the perfect setup, and I have finally decided on every single part that will be put on the car before installation of the turbo. I don't want to get into that, this post is already too long, but I do have one question.

I want to fab up a custom exhaust for the car. "Oooooo like that hasn't been done before". You're right, it hasn't, but what I want to do, I cannot find ANYWHERE on this, or any forums. READY??

After the turbo and DP, most N54 platforms split into a "dual exhaust". Aftermarket exhausts are usually in the 3" range. Bare with me as I attempt to explain my idea.. I want to install an electric cutout just after the DP, when closed, the exhaust will be a single exit. This portion of the exhaust will be 3', have 1-2 mufflers, and a resonator. I know what youre thinking... that's stupid with a big single turbo, it restricts air flow. YOU ARE RIGHT! That's what the cutout is for, when open, it will be a second pipe that has NOTHING but a 3' pipe running directly out the other side of the "dual" exhaust. That way when open, its completely free flowing, loud, and basically like an aftermarket exhaust. My reasoning for this design is, I am not about the loudness.. I actually hate it. When I am on the highway, I like to hear the silence sometimes and not BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. This way my GF wont hate me, then neighbors wont hate me, my boss wont hate me, the cops wont hate me, and most important, my grandma wont hate me.

I want to know if this is a good idea, bad idea, maybe it'll work, I'm crazy, let me know. But only people who know what they are talking about.. I know the risks, that's why I am asking if it will cause a lack in air flow. If it only causes a 5 or so HP decrease, I'm not worried. But if the back pressure will be too great, yea, I'm worried.

Alright, enough of me rambling. If you made it through this and give me a legit answer and if I see you at a meet or out somewhere, you'll get a cold one on me. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so any discussion is welcome, I'm excited to own this car and can't wait to see what the future holds.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
How does it drive compared to the Audi?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
How does it drive compared to the Audi?
I’ll be honest, I won’t know until September. I’m currently out of the country, that’s why my friend is picking it up tomorrow, he’s holding it for me until I get home. The Audi is loud on the inside.. but for a B5 I mean you can’t expect perfection. I’ve driven the b5 from Philly to Miami and back about 5 times, it was a decently comfortable drive. But I believe the 335 will be 10x better comparatively.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I just wanted to point out that your car is a true dual exhaust system. There are two downpipes, not one, so whatever you plan will need to be double. There is a resonator where they cross, but it's a dual exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

And I just realized that you were talking about after you put on a single turbo kit. If you get it done be sure to chronical it here so others can see your handiwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #6
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
And I just realized that you were talking about after you put on a single turbo kit. If you get it done be sure to chronical it here so others can see your handiwork.
Yes, this is after the single swap. I'm just nervous that at WOT, and the "cutout" being open, that it still won't be free flowing enough. I know people have single turbo N54s with the stock exhaust (the guys over at Budget Bimmers), but there have been issues such as blowing the cat out, blowing muffler pieces out, and I don't want that. I have talked to a few engineer friends and they said I should be ok, but figured why not ask the professional internet world.
Appreciate 0