BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #1
ksahrbeck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 30i

Driver Assistance Plus or Adaptive Dampers

I know this is not exactly apples to apples, but if you had a choice which one would you go with? I went with the adaptive dampers and having buyers remorse. found a X3 with Driver Assistance Plus and thinking about trading in mine so I can have the assistance plus. I have from CO to Maine once a year and I think it could be worth it along with other advantages to items in the Driver + package. Am I crazy to trade in a 2 week old car for a new one?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2018, 04:04 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Personally I couldn't live without SLI now, but it's bloody sneaky of BMW to make it only available as part of the driver assistance pack on newer models!

I also couldn't live without ACC now, so there's no point speccing it and driver assistance pack as the driver assistance plus pack includes it!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I have the driving assistance / plus package and I love it. Put it this way, which would you use more, features in driving assistance or suspension... I drive highways a lot so driving assistance plus was a no brainer for me. If you track A LOT then I would say adaptive is where you should lean.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I test drove two cars back to back one with and without dampers. The one with dampers was noticeably smoother in comfort mode and had better controlled body movements. To me this was more important.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
I have the driving assistance / plus package and I love it. Put it this way, which would you use more, features in driving assistance or suspension... I drive highways a lot so driving assistance plus was a no brainer for me. If you track A LOT then I would say adaptive is where you should lean.
I have ordered both because both are important to me, but if I had to choose? It would be the adaptive suspension. Suspension is part of the the essence of the car and therefore what we use ALL the time just by driving. Adaptive simply makes the suspension better so that is the no brainier for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

@ksahrbeck: If you want to swap out your car, I'd be all over that NOW - don't wait. The real question is what kind of financial hit might you take. Curious to know which dealer you purchased from. I'm guessing Schomp would be a little more flexible based on their volume and my experience.

IMO Adaptive dampers, seem like a great choice if you have the 40i and less so if you have the 30i. Do you like the variable steering?

I have the DAP+. Got it primarily for additional safety features. But definitely like the Active Cruise Control and the Active Lane Keeping Assist. Used together its a trip. Drove semi-autonomously on I-70 yesterday from I-25 to 470, it worked flawlessly.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksahrbeck View Post
I know this is not exactly apples to apples, but if you had a choice which one would you go with? I went with the adaptive dampers and having buyers remorse. found a X3 with Driver Assistance Plus and thinking about trading in mine so I can have the assistance plus. I have from CO to Maine once a year and I think it could be worth it along with other advantages to items in the Driver + package. Am I crazy to trade in a 2 week old car for a new one?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I would also consider what size rims you have on the vehicle. I was planning on getting the adaptive dampers but found that on the 19’s the ride was still quite nice on stock suspension. If o had the 21’s it would have been a no brained considering our streets in Atlanta.

I do have DA+ and love it. It is more than just adaptive cruise control. Essentially, it takes all of the safety systems from DA and makes them active rather than passive. In other words, instead of a warning, it actually tries to correct. I agree with others, if you drive a lot on freeways, the DA+ really shines.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

I added both, and glad I did. I personally wouldn't spend $50k+ and skimp out on something. The DA+ is important for both safety and convenience. I had ACC on my last 2 cars, can't imagine life w/o now. My biggest surprise was how well the LKA works too. It isn't Autopilot but it is really good.

When it comes to the adaptive dampers, I would actually add the complete package that also upgrades the brakes and steering. For only $1,400 I feel it is a no brainer.

Not telling you what to do, just suggesting that if you go thru the hassle/cost of a trade-in and flipping to a new one, I think you'd regret not getting both and you might be right back at buyers remorse.
Appreciate 1