E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > aluminum radiator e90

06-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
aluminum radiator e90

anybody using an ebay radiator for there e90? seems to be more cheaper and durable than oem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I seriously doubt its durability.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Curious what makes you think they are more durable than OEM?

My OE rad has 280,000 kms on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Based on what exactly?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
I seriously doubt its durability.
i seriously doubt you ever tried one

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Curious what makes you think they are more durable than OEM?

My OE rad has 280,000 kms on it.
great. so you know yours is not new.
i have one on my integra since 00. it is a civic half core radiator too. dont know the mileage. It is boosted. honestly i have more issues keeping the motor together than having any radiator issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Based on what exactly?
metal doesnt break off or crack like plastic end caps?

Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
tadaska113.50
      06-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Thats a what, 1 in a million failure? How many 200k+ mile E90s have the original radiators? 99.99%?

But you think a $100 chinese radiator will last longer?
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2425.00
      06-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
i seriously doubt you ever tried one

great. so you know yours is not new.
i have one on my integra since 00. it is a civic half core radiator too. dont know the mileage. It is boosted. honestly i have more issues keeping the motor together than having any radiator issues.

metal doesnt break off or crack like plastic end caps?

Tell you what. Outfit your performance car with cheap generic parts off eBay using the basis of "it's metal." Let me know the long term results of that decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Yes, metal > plastic in terms of long term reliability, in general. Metal tends not to fatigue so quickly due to heat cycles, and is much more ductile/less brittle.

Is this radiator a good quality metal? Strong welds (with a quality filler)? IE no impurities present during manufacturing.

Will it corrode internally, or suffer from electrolysis? Keep in mind we do use a Magnesium alloy motor so any corrosion is not taken lightly.

I'm at 118k mi, 2008 MY in Florida with my original rad. No issues.
Appreciate 1
tadaska113.50
      06-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Thats a what, 1 in a million failure? How many 200k+ mile E90s have the original radiators? 99.99%?

But you think a $100 chinese radiator will last longer?
yes. this is a diy forum where we share ideas right? no need to be ignorant about it. plastic cracks and breaks bro. Its not just mileage that kills them, its also father time.

so can you explain why it would be a bad idea to run one? other than its an e36 rad, with a little fab it can fit.

Quote:
Tell you what. Outfit your performance car with cheap generic parts off eBay using the basis of "it's metal." Let me know the long term results of that decision.
I did. Back in the day building a fast car for cheap, i used alot of ebay parts. Ive never had an issue with the cheapo ebay rad.

I still think that cheapo rad is more durable then any autozone rad.

This is a popular discussion in the import forums like honda and nissan. you will find that it gets the job done. worked for me so thats why i started this thread. It almost looks like to be a no brainer because most of us if not all of us is running chinese water pump and t stats.

So is that why theres alot of hate on that cheapo rad? nobody is running one because its ebay chinese part or not oem part?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Far as I can tell Welcome to NBA Jam was just offering his thoughts in response to your statement that it "seems to be more cheaper and durable than OEM." I'm still curious how you arrived at that conclusion.

Everyone here is just trying to help, bro. If you've already made your mind up that you're going to use this rad, then why argue with people whose opinions don't align with yours? Buy it, install it, and give us a review of it in another post.

It's important to appreciate how the overall quality and longevity of a part is a function of far more than just the materials its made from... I think that's what Hass and others here are trying to say.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just never understand when people put out the feelers on a given thing, get feedback that doesn't support the idea, and then get twisted up about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
yes. this is a diy forum where we share ideas right? no need to be ignorant about it. plastic cracks and breaks bro. Its not just mileage that kills them, its also father time.

so can you explain why it would be a bad idea to run one? other than its an e36 rad, with a little fab it can fit.

I did. Back in the day building a fast car for cheap, i used alot of ebay parts. Ive never had an issue with the cheapo ebay rad.

This is a popular discussion in the import forums like honda and nissan. you will find that it gets the job done. worked for me so thats why i started this thread. It almost looks like to be a no brainer because most of us if not all of us is running chinese water pump and t stats.

So is that why theres alot of hate on that cheapo rad? nobody is running one because its ebay chinese part or not oem part?
Being made in China isn't the problem. Many parts are made in China. It's the manufacturer that makes the difference. Different manufacturers have different quality standards. Reputable manufacturers with long histories of producing parts for numerrous OEMs or in racing applications have well-funded and strict quality control.

Unknown manufacturers building parts to merely mimic other parts and get the job done have low quality control standards.

Nobody is running this radiator because generic parts off of eBay have a history of poor fitment, quality control, and reliability. For something so crucial to the engine's operation, I would purchase another OEM radiator before buying anything off of eBay.

People looking to upgrade their radiator will purchase either the CSF Aluminum Radiator or the Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator. Mishimoto has a history of being very transparent with their design and engineering process, making entire blogs covering the development of their parts and receiving user input to change the product along the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

On diy forums we certainly share ideas, but it’s in poor taste when you pass an opinion as fact. That’s what you’ve done here. If it’s your opinions fine , but don’t try tell my why you’re right with so little facts.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I'd like to know just how much more cheaper they are
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
I'd like to know just how much more cheaper they are
Between $30 and $60 depending on your source.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
On diy forums we certainly share ideas, but it’s in poor taste when you pass an opinion as fact. That’s what you’ve done here. If it’s your opinions fine , but don’t try tell my why you’re right with so little facts.
Dude there is only ideas in this thread there is no facts in here. And i wasnt trying to tell you guys anything. i just want to make something clear here. I will run this rad whenever mine fails. I didnt ask for opinions if I should run it. I WILL RUN IT. I was asking if anybody else was running one.

e90yyc tried to council me lol canadians i tell ya

nbajam doubts its durability, was just asking why he thinks that and he just shared with us what he thinks, but he doesnt have personal experience with it. that is an opinion thanks for sharing.

hassmachine asked based on what? I say based on its got plastic end caps as failure points and then sees the video and says thats the only one that fails out of 99.9%? based on what exactly, you should be asking him where he got his info from because for those that dont know how to work on there own cars, he made you guys with oem rads with high miles feel warm and squishy inside. but in reality you do. because its gonna happen.

Quote:
Being made in China isn't the problem. Many parts are made in China. It's the manufacturer that makes the difference. Different manufacturers have different quality standards. Reputable manufacturers with long histories of producing parts for numerrous OEMs or in racing applications have well-funded and strict quality control.

Unknown manufacturers building parts to merely mimic other parts and get the job done have low quality control standards.

Nobody is running this radiator because generic parts off of eBay have a history of poor fitment, quality control, and reliability. For something so crucial to the engine's operation, I would purchase another OEM radiator before buying anything off of eBay.

People looking to upgrade their radiator will purchase either the CSF Aluminum Radiator or the Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator. Mishimoto has a history of being very transparent with their design and engineering process, making entire blogs covering the development of their parts and receiving user input to change the product along the way.
very well said. But i strongly believe nobody is running this ebay rad because 1) there isnt one designed for e90 yet and 2) its not something that fails very often. but if it does theres an e36 radiator in which i will be running when mine fails.

I'm glad dessertman bought up the electrolysis issue because that isnt caused by different metals, but if you do get that is a big issue for our cars because like he said of the magnesium block.

electrolysis only happens if you run the wrong coolant for your car. such as running just straight water. if you run water and it heats up past 130 degrees it will deposit minerals in your coolant system like your water pump. If that happens all it takes is .001v to ruin our coolant system/engine.

If you run distilled water you will never have that problem.

As for me like i said ive been running straight tap water in my cheapo ebay rad in my boosted integra for 15+ years, survived many catastrophic engine damage such as cracking a sleeve and pressurizing my coolant system to the point that my rad hoses swollen up and burst but that cheap ass rad didnt burst. it still running. it still works.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

FWIW my oem rad failed at 138k, started leaking at the plastic end caps.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #17
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

What does any of this have to do with being Canadian? I’m a dual citizen, but who gives a shit. Zero relevance to any of these discussions
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #18
halik008
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Would I use aluminum chinese radiator? Yes as I already have on other cars. Would i bother modifying one to fit E90, hell no.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #19
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

I think you posted here hoping to find support of your logic but when no on reciprocated you got upset. Logically, if it was that good then people would be using it. Even if my oem failed at 150k I'd just put another oem in to 300k.. I mean really is that worth risking a potentially shit eBay part for what?? $50
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2425.00