E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Maintenance Suggestions

06-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i

Maintenance Suggestions

Hello All,

So, I am compiling a list of all the things I would like to do to my car, primarily for my own peace of mind, as well as to establish a sort of "baseline" for any maintenance to follow. Listed below is what I plan to do and or have done, in order of importance.

1) New Coils/ Spark Plugs (Delphi Coils and NGK Spark Plugs, car has a misfire occasionally, and tends to idle rough occasionally)
2) Coolant Flush (Previous owner put green coolant in it, to my dismay I only discovered this after adding some Zerex G-48)
3) Alignment/Check Brakes
4)New Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter
5)New Brakes (Depending on the results of #3)
6) Automatic Transmission Fluid change?
7) Oil Filter Housing Gasket
8) ???

I know this seems like a lot, the previous owner neglected a lot of her needs, so I am having to make up for lost time, hopefully with no adverse effects. I think I have listed the main things. My main reason for posting this is to ask, is there anything I missed that I should be doing? Is there anything I should be aware of when doing or having these things done? I will be taking it in for everything except spark plugs, coils, and filters. I just don't trust myself enough yet to do anything else.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for any help you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
n0tm3
could-be bmw tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9809 335i

Garage List
2014 435i xdrive  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
fyi oem coolant should be green/blueish
Depending on your milage you can check the suspension components like strut mounts that tend to deteriorate at high milage, blower fan area if you haven't had the recall replaced, consider a water pump replacement (hopefully your car already had this), I'm sure theres plenty more but I can't think of any at the moment
      06-07-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90CPhT View Post
Hello All,

So, I am compiling a list of all the things I would like to do to my car, primarily for my own peace of mind, as well as to establish a sort of "baseline" for any maintenance to follow. Listed below is what I plan to do and or have done, in order of importance.

1) New Coils/ Spark Plugs (Delphi Coils and NGK Spark Plugs, car has a misfire occasionally, and tends to idle rough occasionally)
2) Coolant Flush (Previous owner put green coolant in it, to my dismay I only discovered this after adding some Zerex G-48)
8) ???

I know this seems like a lot, the previous owner neglected a lot of her needs, so I am having to make up for lost time, hopefully with no adverse effects. I think I have listed the main things. My main reason for posting this is to ask, is there anything I missed that I should be doing? Is there anything I should be aware of when doing or having these things done? I will be taking it in for everything except spark plugs, coils, and filters. I just don't trust myself enough yet to do anything else.

Speak of the devil, was making a post just like this last night but was too lazy to finish it.

I’d recommend an oil additive/flush, or even trying an oil change interval with shell rotella. Some owners on here have tried it and said it worked great for cleaning out an engine with deposits.

- service the caliper sliding pins with a copper-free brake grease when you change your brakes. (Not sure why BMW doesn’t suggest this, I did it during a brake service and the brakes felt fanstastic afterwards) Even if you’re not changing brakes a brake fluid flush would be a good idea.

- inspect belts, tensioner, pulleys. If your tensioner is wobbling like this, replace it: https://youtu.be/rPRxObxYc0k

- rotate tires. (Again, not sure why BMW doesn’t recommend this (unless you’re staggered of course)

- change solenoids and valve body along with transmission fluid change

- fuel injector/fuel system cleaner

- full detail in and out and paint wax

- ensure suspension is in good shape (tie rods, bushings, lower control arms, struts, etc)

- differential fluid change

- inspect oil filter housing, oil pan and valve cover gaskets
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
- change solenoids and valve body along with transmission fluid
I’ve never heard this suggested before as a maintenance item. I mean the filter, sure, but not the VB...

This would be an absolute last (or second-last) resort if one was experiencing issues that could be directly linked to VB deficiencies/pressure issues, and that could not be solved by replacing valves, springs, etc within the valve body (rebuilding it).

The rest of your list is great, but in my opinion this is not a maintenance item...
Appreciate 2
tlow982188.00
      06-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I’ve never heard this suggested before as a maintenance item. I mean the filter, sure, but not the VB...

This would be an absolute last (or second-last) resort if one was experiencing issues that could be directly linked to VB deficiencies/pressure issues, and that could not be solved by replacing valves, springs, etc within the valve body (rebuilding it).

The rest of your list is great, but in my opinion this is not a maintenance item...
You may as well replace it while you're in there. I have heard of some hard shifting issues after 70K Miles if you don't change it.

you don't need to change it if you don't think it's necessary, but I would strongly recommend replacing solenoids while you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello All,

8) ???

How many miles are on the car ? That would determine what needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
151827 as I type
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

At 151k for a 2009, I would make sure the transmission filter has been changed as well. Including your original list, my votes would be for the valve cover+gasket, differential fluid, water pump and thermostat (as other posters suggested).

I'm at 100k, and about to change all of the items I just mentioned and the spark plugs+coils (I changed the transmission fluid and filter at 93k).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I agree; I've never heard of solenoids being a problem on the ZF trannies.

I would add: "When changing the transmission fluid, inspect the mechatronic sleeve and replace if leaking". One might also consider buying a metal pan to replace the plastic one.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So, Slight changes to the list, I will be doing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket swap next week and will be doing it first. I made sure to order the OE gasket and replacement bolts. I was looking over the service summary from my last time at the shop and noticed they said it was leaking. Surprisingly, I will be replacing it myself (Independent shop wanted to charge $405 JUST for labor, absurd). I am not sure if the valve cover gasket has been replaced, I think it may have already been but I am not sure. How would I check to see if this needs to be done? I am not sure if I would be able to do that myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update, Need Help!

I have procured the previous owner's service records, and have found some interesting things. If anyone would be willing to help me figure out what happened based on these I would greatly appreciate the help. Below I will summarize as best I can what the service records indicate.

1) So at 113k miles, he had 6 spark plugs changed and the Valve Cover Gasket replaced. Okay, no big deal.

2)Now, AGAIN, at 113k miles, the shop requested the following be done to the car:
Terraclean Engine Treatment
New Oil Filter
New Oil
Terraclean Engine Clean
Valve Cover
Valve Cover Gasket
At this point, he declined all of the above and, I assume, continued driving it.

3)At 120k, they again requested a Valve Cover and Valve Cover Gasket Set, which he also declined until...

4)...At 121k, They requested a new Valve Cover and Valve Cover Gasket, as well as a Leak Pump. He accepted all of these and had the work done as far as I know, as only the Valve Cover Gasket Set says "returned" beside it on the invoice.

5) Finally, at 136k, he had the oil changed, but the shop also requested to do a Oil Pan Gasket replacement, but he declined this. Shortly after this he sold the car to me.

Now, I am not sure what I should be replacing with this in mind, or why the shop kept wanting to do all of the work to the Valve Cover area or to the Oil Pan Gasket. I will call in the morning to see if I can secure some technician notes that seem to be missing. My only idea is that they may have been trying to nail down some sort of oil leak? I know the car had a slight history of occasional misfires and evap leaks. I had a smoke test done and no signs of evap anywhere. How should I proceed with all this in mind?

Sorry for the lengthy update, I would really appreciate any advice you guys can provide!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Sounds like a lot of make work to me. If you can stand a couple drops on your garage floor, why bother? An oil pan leak is never going to threaten the engine; and a new one will likely leak, too.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
151827 as I type
You just bought it ? And do you know the maintenance history ?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #14
wiscoe90b
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

Quote:
So, Slight changes to the list, I will be doing the I am not sure if the valve cover gasket has been replaced, I think it may have already been but I am not sure. How would I check to see if this needs to be done? I am not sure if I would be able to do that myself.
Just check around where the valve cover seats to see if there are any leaks/seeps - it'll be pretty obvious if it is leaking. Also check to see if any oil seeps/leaks in the spark plug tubes.

While you're at it with your maintenance list add a good engine washing to the mix. Pretty easy to do and will give you a good idea if you have any leaks anywhere since any old oil residue will be gone and not give you any false oil sightings.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #15
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just starting my freshman year of undergrad, so couldn't afford a new F30, lol. But no, I've had it for around 6 months, bought it with 144k. I know most of the previous maintenance history.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #16
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Just starting my freshman year of undergrad, so couldn't afford a new F30, lol. But no, I've had it for around 6 months, bought it with 144k. I know most of the previous maintenance history.
Please list what has been done and are what mileage the car was at when it was done. I can help you from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #17
E90CPhT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please list what has been done and are what mileage the car was at when it was done. I can help you from there.
Do you mind if I send it to you in a PM? It will take me a while to type everything up. I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #18
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mind if I send it to you in a PM? It will take me a while to type everything up. I really appreciate it.
Yep. No problem. Make sure to include the year and type of car (335 or 328) and if it's AWD or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #19
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
At 150k miles, I would check the condition of your cooling system hoses. Many of them are plastic and get brittle over time. One broken plastic hose can empty your cooling system pretty quick.

The upper and lower radiator hoses aren't all that expensive and snap into place.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
simplesilver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 328i sedan automatic

The VCG I would only change if needed, meaning smell of burning oil or alot leaking out between oil changes. I put 6 e3 spark plugs in mine and I love them. I have only been changing coils as needed, so far just one but I ordered 2 to keep one as back-up. Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I agree; I've never heard of solenoids being a problem on the ZF trannies.

I would add: "When changing the transmission fluid, inspect the mechatronic sleeve and replace if leaking". One might also consider buying a metal pan to replace the plastic one.
It’s not a maintenance item but there have certainly been issues with these valves on ZF transmissions. Look a bit more, you’ll find them.

With that being said I’d never do them unless there was an actual issue and even the i’d Try the trans fluid first.

They either work or they don’t. Preventative replacement is a waste of money/time.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #22
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
It’s not a maintenance item but there have certainly been issues with these valves on ZF transmissions. Look a bit more, you’ll find them.

With that being said I’d never do them unless there was an actual issue and even the i’d Try the trans fluid first.

They either work or they don’t. Preventative replacement is a waste of money/time.
Replacing solenoids will make a bigger difference than just new fluid alone. Will make your transmission feel like new.
Appreciate 0