BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
M40 vs. base xLine

Had my car in shop for couple days. Was given a X3 xLine base model as a loaner. Some impressions comparing the two:

Pros:
  • Engine: 2.0t surprisingly strong. I've owned 2.0T TSI Talon and 2.0T Eclipse GSX. This was much better

• Instrument cluster: It was decent. Not nearly as good as full LED of exec package, but decent. Smaller digital square wasn't as bright, but blended well. I think I would prefer this dash to the intermediate 1/2 digital package of the mid-stream.

Cons:
  • Brakes. Perfectly horrible. Well, perhaps that's a bit harsh. They are very soft compared to the M40i, but they do stop the vehicle - eventually.

• Ride - Decent, but rather soft. Too much roll in corners and cloverleafs. While decent - it's far, far below the excellent balance and response of the M-Sport suspension with Active Dampening.

• Display: Fail. I don't know what size it is, but coming from the 10.2" full display on upgraded package, it feels about 4". Small display in large display tab looks ridiculous. Aside from small size, quality & resolution is worse. This display should not exist in this line in 2018. Embarrassing. Do whatever package you must to get 10.2" display.

• Sound: Base package sound is soft and muddled. If you like music, at all, get the Harman Kardon package.

• Lighting: Miss the LED halo's up front.

• Locking: Really miss keyless entry. Digging around for the key fob to unlock the car is annoying when your used to just opening doors by pulling on them.

• Gesture Control: Fingers regularly cramped up having to pinch and turn physical volume knob as opposed to a joyful swishing of the air. (ok.. maybe a stretch, but I did mis the many amenities of loaded car)

Overall:
It's a decent car. Surprising strong engine helps, but overall, was very disappointed that at $44k car is missing some fairly basic amenities - amenities that are present in many $30k cars.

So, my M40i was almost exactly $25k more (every option but spare & shades), but, it is a VERY different car. While I mention 2.0 pulls well, it is still an out-of-balance, noisy 4 cylinder - not the silky smooth, perfectly balanced i6. The 3.0 engine combined with the M-Sport Active Dampened suspension create a thrilling combination. The combination of engine and suspension is fantastic and the reason I would drive this car regardless of any other options.

That said, all the extra options are the icing on the cake:

I love the large display, full instrument cluster and esp. the large, full-color HUD. This is the only really truly useful HUD I've ever scene. Getting NAV data there is fantastic. I like the ability to move it up-or down and adjust what information is displayed. Note here, I like that BMW iDrive allows so many different things to be configured by user and per user. There are many more options in loaded model vs base model.

Both my girls swore the interior was smaller. Figured out its the lack of "sky roof" (daughters term) - which is ironic, as the option actually costs a inch or so of headroom (which is ample in the X3). The open feeling the glass roof engenders is a nice open effect. Esp from rear seats.

Active cruise control has quickly become one of my favorite options - especially for daily commute. Lane assist is a plus.

360 cameras are awesome. I really missed them in base model. Active safety features don't exist, it seems, in base model. While I generally would not care to order them (traditionally I get annoyed with sonar distance alerting), the combination with large screen, numerous cameras, 360 view w/ distance icons are actually a well done and welcome option.

Sensatec (fake leather) seats should not be found in any BMW.

Sport seats have significantly greater bolstering on sides. I like this. I know some people do not. I think some larger people find it less comfortable.

Missing wireless CarPlay. I listen to audio books, at it works great to have on screen controls for quick 15s replay. Music control and reading of texts is also nice.

I like the LED lighting and halos. It adds a distinctive edge to vehicle looks. I missed it in base model.

Conclusion:
Base model is OK. It's a nice car with missing a few 'must have' features, specifically decent size display screen. Seriously, if it had that, iDrive would be much more usable. If the base model had larger display, better H&K sound, and actual leather seats, I think it would be a very decent car. Without these 3 features, I would never buy this car.

M40i is really in a different league. Loaded up, yes, it 55% more cost, but you get A LOT of stuff. A good car becomes a best-in-class performer with some very nice amenities and luxury feel.

I strongly suggest Exec package, H&K Sound, and Adaptive Dampening M-Suspension.

If you wanted to save $$, then I would suggest leaving off the Driving Assistance and Plus Package Removed. The active cruise control is awesome, but, it will save something like $2,600.
Appreciate 2
KK118.00
MPoweRo428.00
      06-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
There are people who just want the badge and are willing to give up some features jut to say " I drive a BMW".

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

All the 30i models aren't worth it especially when leasing. A loaded 30i model vs a semi-loaded 40i/M40i model is only like $100 month difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Oh come on. Why do we need to trash what other may drive in order to feel better about our purchase? I have a 30i and am thrilled with it. My car with all the options I selected was $59k. I could have bought the .40i in that price range and frankly could have bought the loaded .40i at $68k. You guys are looking at individual features as must haves, and I get that but those “must haves” on a terrible vehicle doesn’t make the vehicle great. It’s the base vehicles that are well designed and executed that make the car great. The rest is just icing (that we pay a fortune for). BMW will sell a ton of the x3 and the volume vehicle will be the smaller engine. I love my car the way it is and also love the 40i. To me, the technology was more important than racing Honda Civics at every stop light. And I know, you guys would destroy the Honda Civic.
Appreciate 4
      06-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Oh come on. Why do we need to trash what other may drive in order to feel better about our purchase? I have a 30i and am thrilled with it. My car with all the options I selected was $59k.
Agreed. I think the 30i a good car.. it is a better choice for many people. $68k is not an option for others. Then, most sensible, fiscally responsible people, will tell you no one should consider such a low return purchase.

That said, I looked at one fully optioned out for my wife. Was only $2-3k price difference. At that level, the M40i seemed a good value.

Last edited by sinbad4; 06-02-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
I think I understand where the OP is coming from. He drives and owns a 40i. Now that he's been downgraded temporarily to a lesser model, a lot of things stand out. It's why we've have some people bash the x3 coming from more luxurious vehicles, and you have people like me super excited to get into a base model because we came from a Honda.

"Must have" is a seriously overused term. A must have is different for everyone. I was tired of driving ugly vehicles for the past 8 or so years, but I also didn't really like the look of the xline. I liked the look of the 40i, but couldn't afford it, so I opted for the m sport package. Around here, people are terrible parkers. And coveted "end spots" are not always available. So for me, 360 camera was a must have. That specific item was worth whatever it cost. In Canada, that means I was forced to get DA and DA+. And was happy I got all those extra safety features over and above. And I got the essential package (executive doesnt exist here) in order to get the Bigger NAV, because I was tired of all the old, crappy, useless infotainment systems I've seen. I would have been fine with a basic interior (as all the test models I drove had then), but lucked out and got a mocha vernasca interior on my prebuild, and got that extra cost eaten by the dealer.

In the end, when I finally get the car, I will have gotten all of my must have, with a bunch of extras.

I say grats to whatever vehicle you got, if it makes you happy. IMO, you get a Honda cause you need a vehicle. you get a BMW because of the way it makes you feel. Whatever that spec turns out to be.

btw. I purposely made sure I didn't drive a 40i. I knew I couldn't afford one, and I wanted to get a feel for a vehicle I could drive. And I was amazed to the point of being giddy with my experience with a non 40i. That's enough for me. That's MY " must have".
Appreciate 6
ando2000.50
r3t1cal98.00
titomi926.00
sinbad4782.50
      06-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Bingo. Not everyone needs the power of the M40i especially when majority of the driving is done in the city where you are going barely 60km/h. However, in case like this, the luxuries of the car are very nice to have.

The beauty of it all is that BMW gives you choice and you can buy whatever you want that meets your needs and makes you happy
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
      06-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Why was your X3 in service so early?

I agree with many of your comments.

But, there's probably a reason they put the particular one in their service fleet.

I'm enjoying every mile in my X3 30i.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

..........aaaaand when the G01 X3 M launch, owner will say it's in a completely different league than the M40i.

In other words, water is wetter than sand.
      06-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Guys, he was given a base model X3, which most x30i owners would agree is "junk" (relatively speaking). Except for the relatively sluggish performance and subtle styling differences (e.g., different wheels, trim, etc.), it would be difficult to tell a loaded x30i apart from an M40i. You can even get the cool M Sport brakes on an x30i (this looks great with Pythonic Blue).

Last edited by darrylo; 06-02-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
r3t1cal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Guys, he was given a base model X3, which most x30i owners would agree is "junk" (relatively speaking). Except for the relatively sluggish performance and subtle styling differences (e.g., different wheels, trim, etc.), it would be difficult to tell a loaded x30i apart from an M40i. You can even get the cool M Sport brakes on an x30i (this looks great with Pythonic Blue).
Exactly!

I got a 30i in Pythonic Blue w/ Dynamic Handling packages specifically because the brakes looks great with that color.

I went with a fully loaded 30i because while the power would be nice with the M40i, I simply don't need it. I would get myself in to much trouble. I could of done less packages and made the price even out...but I love technology not to pass up DA & DA+.
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
      06-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3t1cal View Post
Exactly!

I got a 30i in Pythonic Blue w/ Dynamic Handling packages specifically because the brakes looks great with that color.

I went with a fully loaded 30i because while the power would be nice with the M40i, I simply don't need it. I would get myself in to much trouble. I could of done less packages and made the price even out...but I love technology not to pass up DA & DA+.
Lol, same, although I got the M Sport brakes for the "better" braking. (On the x30i, this is option 2NH, which comes standard on the M40i, and so these x30i brakes should be the same as the M40i brakes.) Also, getting the blue calipers was just pure icing. I don't care about the "M look", and so I saved money by not getting the M Sport package, but the M brakes are a nice touch of color.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      06-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Why was your X3 in service so early?
Howling noise when max defrost. See post:

HVAC Howl - Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
r3t1cal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Lol, same, although I got the M Sport brakes for the "better" braking. (On the x30i, this is option 2NH, which comes standard on the M40i, and so these x30i brakes should be the same as the M40i brakes.) Also, getting the blue calipers was just pure icing. I don't care about the "M look", and so I saved money by not getting the M Sport package, but the M brakes are a nice touch of color.
Totally. Better breaking and adaptive suspension was the must have after I watched Savage Geese's video. The blue calipers got me to switch to pythonic since the combo looked so good. Before I added that package I was looking to get the mineral grey.

Pythonic Blue + Cognac =
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Coming from a 2014 X3 2.8i to my new M40i, I can definitely agree with a couple of the OP's points.

The old vehicle leaned too much in corners.

Halogen headlights sucked; I have xenons in my Saabs and halogens in this day and age in a luxury brand is ridiculous.

The 4-cylinder isn't bad at all, and could suffice for most. That said, I am thrilled to have the M40i!

Other than more powerful engine and firmer suspension, one could order any of the missing options on the 30i.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      06-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
M40iGuy
Building http://x3M40i.com
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M40i

I had a similar experience yesterday when I took my car into the dealership to fix a small scratches missed during delivery.

I got the Base X3 as my loaner. The power has good for the city. The suspension was quite a bit lighter than the M40i, but the ride was smooth. Brakes aren't nearly as good as the M40i.

Comfort Access and the big display are two things that would be tough to live without now that I have them.

Pressing the Start button on the M40i is where the difference in fun level begins.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:53 AM   #17
orcafella
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Proud to drive a base 2019 sdrive 30i. At 37k it feels like a bargain to me. For some its a major upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #18
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

I will say that one thing I appreciated in my former X3 2.8i was the vehicle's balance; I understand the 4-cylinder model is almost exactly 50/50. Now, it is nitpicking as the six-cylinder version isn't much different, but I am used to nose-heavy front drive cars. Having a rear based system reveals some better handling!

It manifests itself in bad weather. One of the reasons I stayed with an X3 was that I encountered some very bad conditions, and not once was I concerned the X3 wouldn't get through, no panic.

One time I was in whiteout (snow) conditions on I-79 from Erie PA to Grove City, about 60 miles. Another time driving on the PA Turnpike, we got hit with a major thunderstorm head-on. Every car pulled off the highway, and you could not see 10 feet in front of your hood. On top of that I seriously needed new tires. I held the X3 in high regard after those incidents!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #19
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
There are people who just want the badge and are willing to give up some features jut to say " I drive a BMW".
I gave up a paid off M4 for a paid off 18 X3. M40i would have defeated many of the reasons why I traded in my M4. (All-seasons, Less trips to the gas station). That being said, M40i is no M4.