BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Decisions: X3 30, GLC 300 4M, or Volvo XC60 T6?

I can’t decide among the following; BMW X3 xd30, Mercedes GLC 300 4matic, or Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription. I’ve dismissed the Audi Q5 because I dislike the seats.

I’m looking for a good “highway cruiser” compact SUV. I drive about 19,000 miles each year and almost all of that is pure highway miles (@ 85 MPH highspeed). There is very little city driving. I’m sick and tired of riding around in a Ford Escape and feeling every single bump in the road. I feel exhausted when I arrive at any destination. I want a more luxurious/sophisticated suspension and I’ve always favored European vehicles. I’ve owned a few Audi’s in the past.

At first, I looked at the Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription because I love the latest redesign and I absolutely love the seats in the Inscription. Every mfr should copy those seats from the Inscription model. I must have adjustable thigh support. And I have to have the T6 better engine version because the T5 engine is too underpowered for me. So when I add up all these options the price climbs somewhat high. So I started looking at...

The Mercedes GLC 300 4matic. I like the interior and the seats. I like the overall size because it’s slightly smaller than the competition. However I test drove one and it seemed a little underpowered (it seemed slower than my Escape). Maybe I didn’t have it set on sport mode. I like the GLC because I can get a good price on one. Out of the bunch, I think the GLC would be my best bet for a “highway cruiser”. That’s what my research tells me. Its looks are OK but the rear c-pillars remind me of a hearse.

The X3 xdrive30i would probably be the most fun for me. And sometimes I do like to have fun on curvy roads. I’ll often drive fairly aggressive on both highways and backroads. My only fear is that I will trade off a luxury feel for a sportiness feel. I’m afraid the X3 might not be a good “highway cruiser” for me. But I could be wrong. That’s why I’m looking for feedback. I’ve pretty much determined that if I get the X3 I will get it with the Dynamic Damper Control for $1000. I believe, and again I could be wrong, that it would give me the best of both worlds; a good highway cruiser and a good sporty vehicle, when needed with the flick of a switch. The only other options I would get is the Conv Tier package and the Park Distance Control. The seats seem a little firm but I can probably live with them. Lastly, I’ve never owned one but I’ve always wanted a BMW SUV. They just seem cool, both the new and old ones.

Thoughts, opinions, and advice?
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
I test drove a GLC 300 4m right before (with in an hour) of driving a similarly equipped X3 30i.

They drove very similar. For the same price, the GLC seemed to have a bit more tech (cheaper to get into a 360 camera for example), but I found the X3 rode better. The throttle response was far smoother, visibility in all directions was marginally better, and the seats where definitely comfier. Steering also felt... more controlled? I found the steering in the GLC really tightened up, like REALLY tightened up, in sport mode. compared to the X3. Like an uncomfortable amount.

Otherwise, I found them fairly similar.

Remember, this is all my opinion, but the X3 was just more comfortable all round. The GLC was definitely nice, I just preferred the BMW. It fit me more. Both physically and on a personal level.

To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Gonna throw something out of left field. The 2019 Acura RDX goes on sale this Friday. Reviews just started to trickle in tonight after the embargo lifted. Very positive reviews so far. Plus, it's $47K fully-loaded. It's going to be hard to ignore.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:12 AM   #4
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

The new x3 is a wonderful highway cruiser. That was my primary purpose for my car and how I built it out. I thought briefly about getting adjustable dampers but plenty of reviews said that with 19” wheel, the standard springs are fine for comfort while still offering a bit of fun.

I agree with your assessment of the Volvo. It is a vehicle I considered as well as it has a very luxurious ride but is not quite as involving to drive. Once I drove the new x3 a few times, I knew it would be conforatable enough for me while still being fun to drive. I have now taken my car for several 4-8 hour drives and it is great.

The merc doesn’t cut it for me. Great looking vehicle but less rear seat room, less cargo and an overly convoluted car interface. In several comparisons, my 2016 x1 was found to be the better offering when compared to the GLC.

Anyways, just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:22 AM   #5
dagneto
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive30i

with the GLC they was a problem with tyre skipping... google it and see if the issue has been resolved.

i have dynamic damper... love it! great for highway and city driving
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

I am really curious how well that Acura track pad will work. Others attempt to do it (Lexus) have failed pretty bad. I know Acura took a different approach with it. I do like what they did overall to the RDX, finally a decent looking one after so many years. It probably would have been my plan B if the timing worked out, and I ended up being ok with that trackpad.

I personally never liked the style of the GLC so that was ruled out right away.

I pick up my X3 this time tomorrow at the performance delivery center!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

The Volvo SPA platform vehicles are excellent highway cruisers, that's pretty much all we use ours for. Optioned with the air suspension it's both a very good cruiser and can be sporty in dynamic mode, even better if you get the Polestar tune.

That being said, does it drive like the X3, nope. The X3 is the drivers car, if you want something sporty that drives like a sports sedan, it's the one to get, just get the adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
West Austin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i w Msport

I ordered an XC60 just 4 weeks ago for the same reasons you did - the design and the technology and the comfortable interior.

Then I got concerned that the price was higher than it should be. So i started shopping the X3 - found out that the X3 was 3rd gen...all new look and better interior. Got $8K (14.5% off msrp) so I took the deal. It drives much better than the XC60 which is ponderous with zero touch from the steering wheel. Drove it 400 miles last week and it drives like a dream. I do believe the XC has more comfortable seats by a nudge. I would test drive both back to back and make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #9
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
You might also consider the 3 series GT. With the long wheelbase is a very comfortable highway cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Austin View Post
I ordered an XC60 just 4 weeks ago for the same reasons you did - the design and the technology and the comfortable interior.

Then I got concerned that the price was higher than it should be. So i started shopping the X3 - found out that the X3 was 3rd gen...all new look and better interior. Got $8K (14.5% off msrp) so I took the deal. It drives much better than the XC60 which is ponderous with zero touch from the steering wheel. Drove it 400 miles last week and it drives like a dream. I do believe the XC has more comfortable seats by a nudge. I would test drive both back to back and make a decision.
I came to the same conclusion you did, in UK we only get T5 though and almost ordered one last December but was disappointed after a test drive, M40i wasn't considered at time and found I could get a M40i spec'd up similarly for £3.5k more
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #11
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far. Keep them coming.

Will getting the Dynamic Damper Control make the X3 30i as plush as possible? Does anyone have that feature and use it as a daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #12
tenflyer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Thank you everyone for the feedback so far. Keep them coming.

Will getting the Dynamic Damper Control make the X3 30i as plush as possible? Does anyone have that feature and use it as a daily driver?
Yep. And when you get the dynamic handling package for only $1,400 you not only get the damper control, but sport steering and the larger sport breaks. I read a lot of stuff before ordering mine and that $1,400 is pretty much universally thought to be a no brainer addition (and reasonably priced for what you get). I know I wouldn't spend $50-$60K+ on a car and want to save money on suspension, steering or braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #13
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

I see that in order to get that $1,400 package, one must also order $600 wheels, so in reality it’s an $2,000 option. It’s just more BMW price gouging IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #14
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I see that in order to get that $1,400 package, one must also order $600 wheels, so in reality it’s an $2,000 option. It’s just more BMW price gouging IMO.
You're going to be missing out on a lot of "luxury" features if you skip out on things like the Premium Pack, Parking Assistance Pack and Driving Assistance Packs as well. Wheels are included with ZPP but the costs do add up when you add all the features.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #15
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

We test drove the XC60 T6 but the seats were too short for us. We considered ordering an Inscription just to get the seat extension option, which is standard on the X3 M40i. The Volvo dealer could not find an Inscription with the options we wanted, and said we could not order one because (in early May) we were too late in the 2018 model year and Volvo was not yet accepting orders for the 2019 model year. It seemed like they just did not want to sell us a Volvo.

We ended up ordering an X3 M40i. We have the car now and we love it!!! Much more luxurious, and of course much smoother power, than the XC60.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #16
DW_x3m40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

Garage List
Quote:
I see that in order to get that $1,400 package, one must also order $600 wheels, so in reality it's an $2,000 option. It's just more BMW price gouging IMO.
I'd look at the m40i if you start adding more options to the x3.30i.

A lot of the luxury options are standard on the m40i and it is definitely the most fun to drive of the bunch.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
kevinmr
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

For your described use, the Volvo will be good as long as you are comfortable with the touchscreen infotainment system. I wasn't - I like the iDrive knob - but if it works for you then I think it would be the most comfortable highway cruiser. Good looking car, also.

I checked out the new (2019) RDX the other day. It is a nice car, but I didn't care for the new touchpad system, plus it didn't feel as substantial as some of the other cars on your list. Plus it leases terribly right now because dealers aren't discounting much at all.

I am getting my X3 30i next week to replace my 2015 535i.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #18
gwynethh
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X30i

For what its worth, Motor Week just did a review of mid sized SUVs. They picked the Volvo XC60. BMW X3 didn't even make the final cut due to lack of safety systems at the price cut off point of 53K$. Time to standardize the safety systems BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

I can't get past Volvo's well-documented suck-ass reliability. The XC90 looks great, but real-world driving makes it a POS, IMO - and I think the XC60 is just plain ugly but w/ decent seats.

MotorWeek's arbitrary price cutoff doesn't make the Volvo a better product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynethh View Post
For what its worth, Motor Week just did a review of mid sized SUVs. They picked the Volvo XC60. BMW X3 didn't even make the final cut due to lack of safety systems at the price cut off point of 53K$. Time to standardize the safety systems BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxoffroad View Post
I can't get past Volvo's well-documented suck-ass reliability. The XC90 looks great, but real-world driving makes it a POS, IMO - and I think the XC60 is just plain ugly but w/ decent seats.

MotorWeek's arbitrary price cutoff doesn't make the Volvo a better product.
well-documented... where? you have a source?
Ugliness or prettiness is always very personal, so I wouldn't judge cars with this.
If you have a certain budget and you care about the safety, than that could be the reason for picking up the Volvo.
      06-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #21
tenflyer
Private
Rep

I think the XC60 is actually really nice looking (personal preference of course). And as others said the seats are ridiculously good especially the upgraded ones with massage, etc. I just couldn't get past the tech touchscreen interface, it drove me nuts even on a test drive how slow and awkward it was to use. It looks nice, but the usability for me was brutal, especially compared to iDrive (I never used/tested the MB because I didn't like the exterior or interior styling at all)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #22
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
well-documented... where? you have a source?
Ugliness or prettiness is always very personal, so I wouldn't judge cars with this.
If you have a certain budget and you care about the safety, than that could be the reason for picking up the Volvo.
"Suck a**" is quite strong, but these studies show BMW ahead of Volvo in some reliability fronts.

2018 JD Power VDS (3 year)
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study
BMW +15 above average / Volvo -20 below average

2017 JD Power VDS (3 year)
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study
BMW +17 above average / Volvo +2 above average

2016 JD Power VDS (3 year)
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds
BMW +10 above average / Volvo exactly average

2017 JD Power IQS (90 day)
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs
BMW +9 above average / Volvo -37 below average

2016 JD Power IQS (90 day)
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs
BMW +11 above average / Volvo -47 below average

Consumer Reports for BMW
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/.../bmw/index.htm
"While still thought of by many as a high-performance luxury brand, most current BMW models aren’t quite the ultimate driving machines of the past. Instead, they focus more on technology, comfort, refinement, and fuel efficiency. BMW still offers fun-to-drive sporty cars, such as the 2 Series coupe and M-designated models, along with very plush luxury cars and a wide variety of polished SUVs. The i sub-brand includes two electric cars, the small i3 and more performance-oriented i8. The iDrive infotainment control system has become more intuitive since its inception more than a decade ago. Brand reliability ranks highly now."

Consumer Reports for Volvo
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...olvo/index.htm
"Solid and staid, the Swedish automaker is owned by Chinese parent Geely. Traditionally known for safety, Volvos are typically quiet, have comfortable seats, and provide secure though uninspiring handling. The ride can generally be described as stiff. The infotainment systems on most models are not very intuitive. Several new models have reinvigorated the product line, and innovations are poised to recast the ownership experience. Reliability remains a concern."

Of course, YMMV, but....
Appreciate 3
Max Well4737.50
abcsoup184.50