BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2018

Bavsound Vs Standard Hi Fi In X3 G01

Hi!
I have the standard hi fi in my bmw x3, 2018, its horrible.. I was planning to upgrade the the Bavsound, grade 1. What's your experience, input on the Bavsound? How does it affect my warranty. Its only 2000 miles on it.
I would like your input.
thanks
Appreciate 1
rem40i132.00
      05-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I haven’t seen anyone do the upgrade in a g01 yet, but on other forums people have raved about the upgrade and improved sound. From what others have shared, it is quite a project to replace all the speakers and amp. Would you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it? It shouldn’t have any bearing on the warranty unless it is specifically related to the aftermarket install (ie: broken clips or missing screws or burnt amp connections). Be sure to post back if you decide to proceed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
I haven’t seen anyone do the upgrade in a g01 yet, but on other forums people have raved about the upgrade and improved sound. From what others have shared, it is quite a project to replace all the speakers and amp. Would you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it? It shouldn’t have any bearing on the warranty unless it is specifically related to the aftermarket install (ie: broken clips or missing screws or burnt amp connections). Be sure to post back if you decide to proceed.
Thanks for the reply, yes I have read some good reviews on the Bavsound.. I would let a professional do it for me. Bavsound actually came out with the speakers this week for the G01. I would definitely let you guys know if i decide on it. My only issue that's holding me back is the warranty. If not I am sure Bavsound will be way better than the std speakers that came with it...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Standard Hi Fi is fine

Boy,

My hearing must be BAD. The standard Hi Fi is great for me. I can’t figure our what all of the fuss is about.

Maybe I need to see an audiologist????

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
Boy,

My hearing must be BAD. The standard Hi Fi is great for me. I can’t figure our what all of the fuss is about.

Maybe I need to see an audiologist????

Wallyf
Do you have the standard in the 2018 X3? Have you compared the sound with HK or any other brand? I had a C250 before with HK, and it was beautiful to hear. May be I am used to that....?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

I passed on the HK sound system myself. It did sound great but I find that most of the time I have the volume barely audible. I do on occasion turn my system up and have been pleased with my system. The audio source makes a world of difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I passed on the HK sound system myself. It did sound great but I find that most of the time I have the volume barely audible. I do on occasion turn my system up and have been pleased with my system. The audio source makes a world of difference.
Do you have the standard too? I am debating whether to go with the Bavsound or just leave the standard.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx3guy View Post
Do you have the standard too? I am debating whether to go with the Bavsound or just leave the standard.
I have the standard hi fi system. That is the base in the U.S. I am in no way trying to sway your decision, to each their own. I just personally have been very pleased with the stock sound and switching audio sources made a big difference. Satellite radio seems to be the worst.

It seems model specific. The stock system in my 3 series sounded good. My x1 was okay. My i3 was awful with standard sound and I went with HK system. My 4 series convertible is merely adequate with standard and I should have gone with the HK system in that car for top down enjoment.

Maybe just give it a few more weeks before you make your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have the standard hi fi system. That is the base in the U.S. I am in no way trying to sway your decision, to each their own. I just personally have been very pleased with the stock sound and switching audio sources made a big difference. Satellite radio seems to be the worst.

It seems model specific. The stock system in my 3 series sounded good. My x1 was okay. My i3 was awful with standard sound and I went with HK system. My 4 series convertible is merely adequate with standard and I should have gone with the HK system in that car for top down enjoment.

Maybe just give it a few more weeks before you make your decision.
Thank you so much, I think that's what I would do, wait for a few weeks and see...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Yeah the stock Hi-Fi non HK system sounds okayish when playing really good recordings via USB. Preferably flac files in CD quality or higher.
Spotify sounds pretty awful.
Satellite even worse.

My F10 5 series sounded miles better.
According to bavsound these cars had a much better amp.

I've been waiting for bavsound to release their speakers since January. Very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

I'm definitely considering picking up the bavsound sub upgrade for the HK system. I feel like the subs are the weakest part of the HK system, as they're kind of muddy.

Does anyone know if they ever go on sale?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
I'm definitely considering picking up the bavsound sub upgrade for the HK system. I feel like the subs are the weakest part of the HK system, as they're kind of muddy.

Does anyone know if they ever go on sale?
In years past they go on sale around Christmas time for sure. You may want to give some time for your subs to break-in.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Yeah the stock Hi-Fi non HK system sounds okayish when playing really good recordings via USB. Preferably flac files in CD quality or higher.
Spotify sounds pretty awful.
Satellite even worse.

My F10 5 series sounded miles better.
According to bavsound these cars had a much better amp.

I've been waiting for bavsound to release their speakers since January. Very tempting.
I know it is very tempting. They have been released for the X3 G01. I am waiting to give it some time and see how my std speakers are doing. I am trying different channels and stuff. So lets see. keep me posted if anyone gets the Bavsound for X3.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #14
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
In years past they go on sale around Christmas time for sure. You may want to give some time for your subs to break-in.
Even after the subs are broken in, they still sound muddy. Their garbage.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #15
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

Has anyone purchased and installed them?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
Has anyone purchased and installed them?
Has anyone purchased the Bavsound for X3? I am planning to do the purchase pretty soon. The sound system I have now... hi-fi in 2018 X3, is not that great.

Last edited by bmwx3guy; 11-07-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have been upgrading my HK to BavSound on my previous F06 650GC and current G30 540i.
Besides that, I have installed quite a few customers car on both Hi-Fi and HK equipped BMW.

IMHO, HK with BavSound you can notice the difference right away and even better after it broken in.
While Base Hi-Fi, it is somewhat hard to notice, mainly because of the weak amp. You will have to crank it up to hear the difference.

Unlike the HK with stronger Amp, 1/4 volume, you already can hear the difference.

So, if you have Base Hi-Fi system and fine with crancking up, then you don't need amp upgrade.
Otherwise, amp upgrade will be much better improvement.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #18
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I have been upgrading my HK to BavSound on my previous F06 650GC and current G30 540i.
Besides that, I have installed quite a few customers car on both Hi-Fi and HK equipped BMW.

IMHO, HK with BavSound you can notice the difference right away and even better after it broken in.
While Base Hi-Fi, it is somewhat hard to notice, mainly because of the weak amp. You will have to crank it up to hear the difference.

Unlike the HK with stronger Amp, 1/4 volume, you already can hear the difference.

So, if you have Base Hi-Fi system and fine with crancking up, then you don't need amp upgrade.
So in your experience you are telling me that the upgrade is not useful with the hi-fi, if you are not changing the amp. If you are upgrading to Bavsound, you recommend chaninging the amp also to hear the difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So in your experience you are telling me that the upgrade is not useful with the hi-fi, if you are not changing the amp. If you are upgrading to Bavsound, you recommend chaninging the amp also to hear the difference?
In my personal experience, yes.
But some of my customers are fine with just speakers upgrade.
So, it would depends on how are you on the improvement.
For sure there is sound improvement on the upgrade, just for me personally can't tell huge difference.

Maybe it is just me since I used to do SPL.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #20
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For sure there is sound improvement on the upgrade, just for me personally can't tell huge difference.

Can the amp be changed in X3? Do Bavsound sell those too? So change the speaker and the amp... you will see real difference. Thank you so much for your valuable input. I really appreciate it. I am just new to this.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can the amp be changed in X3? Do Bavsound sell those too? So change the speaker and the amp... you will see real difference. Thank you so much for your valuable input. I really appreciate it. I am just new to this.
BimmerTech has it, but not 100% sure if it compatible with G01.
It is compatible with G30 and G11/G12.
I would say it is, maybe Patrys@BimmerTech can confirm.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #22
bmwx3guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
BimmerTech has it, but not 100% sure if it compatible with G01.
It is compatible with G30 and G11/G12.
I would say it is, maybe Patrys@BimmerTech can confirm.
I just checked Bavsound website. They have not released for the 2018, X3 yeah. I will check Bimmertech too. So is it possible to upgrade to stage 1 speakers? Then later on upgrade the amp?
Appreciate 0