E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A newbie question

05-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
3seriesman
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i 6MT

A newbie question

Hey guys, I had a question being new to this site and BMW specifics in general. So I see a lot of people talking about their fault codes on the BMW, and the things that are wrong. Do they check the codes to find out if something is wrong, say every month, or do they only check the codes when they know something is wrong? And I was wondering how people know if their BMW has something wrong with it, because I am not very car savvy so a lot of the warning signs I would probably pass over except for the obvious ones. How do I know if my BMW needs a service or if there is something wrong with it? Will it be obvious or hard to tell in most cases? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3seriesman View Post
Hey guys, I had a question being new to this site and BMW specifics in general. So I see a lot of people talking about their fault codes on the BMW, and the things that are wrong. Do they check the codes to find out if something is wrong, say every month, or do they only check the codes when they know something is wrong? And I was wondering how people know if their BMW has something wrong with it, because I am not very car savvy so a lot of the warning signs I would probably pass over except for the obvious ones. How do I know if my BMW needs a service or if there is something wrong with it? Will it be obvious or hard to tell in most cases? Thanks
I check whenever a fault light comes on.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
3seriesman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
I check whenever a fault light comes on.
Ok thx
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I check every couple of months mostly out of boredom, but in hopes that I will catch the water pump throwing a failure notification in the form of a 'shadow' code.

Nice pick up wrt your E93 6MT!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
3seriesman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I check every couple of months mostly out of boredom, but in hopes that I will catch the water pump throwing a failure notification in the form of a 'shadow' code.

Nice pick up wrt your E93 6MT!
Thank you. Have had it for a couple of years but just started browsing these online forums. Is it worth picking up a code reader? Theyre quite expensive
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Thank you. Have had it for a couple of years but just started browsing these online forums. Is it worth picking up a code reader? Theyre quite expensive
I bought the Carly Unit. ~$50 for the reader and another ~$50 for the iPhone app. The next step up is the Foxwell unit for $150ish. A couple a or a few tanks of gas, really. Or, if you're handier and a little braver you can download the program ISTA (free) and with a $45 cable you can almost limitlessly access and alter the car's systems.

I don't consider that too bad, especially bc I maintain the car myself. it's essential if you're actually working on the car.

If you're just doing it for kicks or to keep your mechanic honest I suppose the price point is more subjective.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:44 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Hey guys, I had a question being new to this site and BMW specifics in general. So I see a lot of people talking about their fault codes on the BMW, and the things that are wrong. Do they check the codes to find out if something is wrong, say every month, or do they only check the codes when they know something is wrong? And I was wondering how people know if their BMW has something wrong with it, because I am not very car savvy so a lot of the warning signs I would probably pass over except for the obvious ones. How do I know if my BMW needs a service or if there is something wrong with it? Will it be obvious or hard to tell in most cases?
One major part of the "Service" that the computer calls for is to read the Key memory, and the OBD memory. So it gets checked by the dealer whenever you take it in for CBS service.

As mentioned by others, if the CEL/SES comes on, it's necessary to read the OBD codes to begin diagnosing the problem.
Appreciate 0