F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Navigation/Maps POI are in French?
proTUNING Freaks

05-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Navigation/Maps POI are in French?

Weird issue popped up. My maps finally updated (2017-1 -> 2017-2) but now points of interests are now in French. All my languages are set to English so it is really weird why only the points of interests on the maps would be in French.

Ex. "University of Toronto" now shows up as "Universite de Toronto"

Very annoying to say the least. Does anybody know a way to change it back or does this need to be brought to the dealer to have something coded to revert back to English?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You got the Quebec version. Your dealer should know how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You got the Quebec version. Your dealer should know how to fix it.
Went to dealership and had them update to 2018-1 and same thing. Everything performs as it should, routes and spoken in English but POI are still in French.

There is no "Quebec" version. It's a base map (different regions, NA/Eu, etc.) and everything else is set based on system/location.

Probably looking at an iDrive issue. PUMA has been opened. Master tech also said he worked on another car where some of the sub menus were in French but system language was in English but never saw if BMW fixed the issue because the client's lease was done.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Well, one way or another your car thinks you're either in France or Quebec. I vote for the latter. I can't recall what happens with the points of interest when I drive through Quebec. The language remains English, more or less, almost irritatingly so, as the computer uses phonetic pronunciation, which often results in something that doesn't sound like English or French.
What happens when the dealer uses the same update in a car on the lot? If it gives the same result the problem lies in the software. If not it's your car.
Appreciate 0