F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Carplay cuts off radio every other minute
GetBMWParts

05-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Carplay cuts off radio every other minute

Hi everyone, I recently signed up Spotify's membership and therefore thought it would be great to enable Carplay for the convenience of controls.

However it turns out even when I put audio source back in radio, it will be automatically switched back to Carplay (i.e. Spotify) every other minute.

I suspect this came from the fact that my iPhone is Carplay connected, and whenever there's a notification (from any APP on the phone) Carplay takes over the audio source.

Did anyone experience the same issue, and is there a fix? I tried to look up on Google and saw some similar complaints but no real solutions.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
delirium1975
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I have the exact same issue in my 2017 340i and it drives me crazy. Makes CarPlay worthless....
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      06-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
This is one time I think BMW screwed up Car Play is poorly integrated with the iDrive system. I ditched Car Play after 3 or 4 days. Cant stand it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

For what's worth, I have the exact same problem in my Honda w/ CarPlay. Drive me crazy.

Since it's cross-platform, it's probably Apple's issue to correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Carplay is horrible! I used it for a few days, and couldn't stand it. Also, the Spotify controls in the native idrive are MUCH better than in Carplay. In Carplay there is no ability to search in Spotify, also there's no 'Radio' playlists.

I really like the Spotify search function, and it's integration in idrive's voice commands - hit search, say the name of the band I want to listen too, and press play.

Do yourself a favor, and delete your Carplay connection, and reconnect your phone with 'apps' instead.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Carplay is horrible! I used it for a few days, and couldn't stand it. Also, the Spotify controls in the native idrive are MUCH better than in Carplay. In Carplay there is no ability to search in Spotify, also there's no 'Radio' playlists.

I really like the Spotify search function, and it's integration in idrive's voice commands - hit search, say the name of the band I want to listen too, and press play.

Do yourself a favor, and delete your Carplay connection, and reconnect your phone with 'apps' instead.
One thing I don't like the connection with 'apps' though, is that every time it's connected it automatically brings up any music app on your phone, and start playing, even when you are actually listening to radio. It consumes the phone's battery for no reason...
Appreciate 0