BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Finally gave in...new X3 M40i

I had been considering trading in my 2014 X3 (2.8i). Nothing bad about the vehicle, but was a little apprehensive about the timing chain issue, and couple other small (perhaps inconsequential) items.

Also reading about how awesome the M40i version is, I was primed for a change. My salesman knew how I am focused on value per vehicle, and was going to drive a hard bargain.

Cut to the chase, within 2 hours I negotiated a good deal. The exact color exterior (Phytonic Blue) I wanted, "close" on the interior. I wanted whatever the Mocha color was called, but called Canberra Beige. It's a fine substitute.

Wow, great vehicle! I wanted the performance of my Saab and the utility of my former X3. I think I got both here!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Congrats. Think his will out perform your Saab.. by a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Congrats. Think his will out perform your Saab.. by a bit.
Thanks!
You might be surprised; that vehicle weighed far less but had 285 HP. Honestly, if Saab had continued in business I may have stayed with the brand the rest of my life.

But that said, I am very happy with the M40i. Reduced noise (but better sounds) than my 2.8i, better handling, far faster. Statuesque, for the lack of a better term. Great seats, good connectivity with CarPlay etc.

The HK stereo is far nicer than the standard HiFi. Way back in the day, I used to install high-end stereos and so was used to decent audio performance. I'm a bit older now, but still enjoy my tunes loud'n'clear.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Congrats! Another happy M40i’er!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Welcome to the club.

Former Saab owner too - great cars. Such a shame how they ended.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So, I have had a chance to drive the new X3 and am more impressed with each spin!
I hadn't really pushed it as the opportunity didn't arise. Well, I got a quick education how seriously fast this thing is. I had to punch it to merge into traffic. When the turbos kicked in, I snapped back into the seat! My wife's eyeballs were huge even several seconds later. Love the exhaust popping when decelerating too.

Wasn't sure I was going to be a fan of the HUD, but upon using it with the nav I can understand its usefulness.

I'm not telling anything new to anyone here, but my gosh this thing is amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
So, I have had a chance to drive the new X3 and am more impressed with each spin!
I hadn't really pushed it as the opportunity didn't arise. Well, I got a quick education how seriously fast this thing is. I had to punch it to merge into traffic. When the turbos kicked in, I snapped back into the seat! My wife's eyeballs were huge even several seconds later. Love the exhaust popping when decelerating too.

Wasn't sure I was going to be a fan of the HUD, but upon using it with the nav I can understand its usefulness.

I'm not telling anything new to anyone here, but my gosh this thing is amazing!
Agreed! I used to think I drove a “fast SUV”... but the SQ5 isn’t a patch on the M40i... welcome!
Appreciate 0