F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Saw engine temp management in action
ARMA SPEED

05-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Saw engine temp management in action

I never really pay much attention to the oil temp gauge, but on a trip to the mountains this weekend I thought I might catch the active temperature management in action.

When stuck in traffic at 65mph around 1800 rpm in comfort mode the temp was at it’s typical ~240F. But when I could break free, I’d flip the transmission lever to the sport side and was bombing uphill at 85+ around 3500 rpm. Occassional flat-out bursts while passing left-lane hogs on the right. Engine temp dropped about 30 degrees to around ~210. This happened even in a zone with one of those “turn off a/c to prevent engine overheating” signs (gotta love the extra cooling capacity of the m-sport).

Soon as I slowed down again and dropped back to comfort made, the temp would slide back up to 240.

Very cool to see that semi-hidden and definitely obscure performance feature in action. For those not familiar, BMW runs a higher temp in standard cruising for fuel efficiency. More demanding requests of the engine kicks in a lower temp mode for better performance.
Appreciate 0