E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AA N52 Headers Intake and Tune Question

05-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

AA N52 Headers Intake and Tune Question

Hey guys,

I've got a 3-stage intake manifold and AA catless headers arriving at different times. I'm going to get the AA stage 2 tune to tie it all together. The intake arrives in 2 days and the headers probably a week or so after that. I want to wait until I have everything before sending the ECU in for a tune. My question is should I hold off on installing the parts until the tune is done or can I install them and daily the car (even though not at max power) for about a week?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyeah View Post
Hey guys,

I've got a 3-stage intake manifold and AA catless headers arriving at different times. I'm going to get the AA stage 2 tune to tie it all together. The intake arrives in 2 days and the headers probably a week or so after that. I want to wait until I have everything before sending the ECU in for a tune. My question is should I hold off on installing the parts until the tune is done or can I install them and daily the car (even though not at max power) for about a week?
You can install the parts and drive no worries. Stock tune will run fine with the 3 stage you just won’t get the added power of the upgrade.

Also the headers will trigger a check engine light for not having catylitic converters but it’s not going to cause issues you’ll just need to clear the code once you get the tune in place.

So in summary, yes you can run those parts without the tune just expect a check engine (SES) light and not to get the full power of the upgrades.
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      05-28-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

you also do not have to send your ecu . For a little bit more they can send you the tool to load the tune ( this applies to bpc and aa) and you can keep it as you are buying it. I would highly recommended as there have been a few instances where the tunes these 2 companies have, come with some small issues/ bugs ( rough idle , rough running , engine light , etc ,etc), both companies are great at dealing with these issues to help you ran smooth , it would just be a pain to be sending the ecu over and over again. Also you can keep the tool if they were any upgrades to the tune or if you decide to even go further with your modding ( there is the milvs and their tune )

Lastly, depending on your location , AA has different dealers spread all over the country

here is the list
https://store.activeautowerke.com/pages/dealers

if you have one close to you just give them a call and you can just bring your car to them to get the tune... I did that with mine and zero issues , cost me the same as sending the ecu ( this was like 3 years ago)

good luck
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      05-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
Lastly, depending on your location , AA has different dealers spread all over the country

here is the list
https://store.activeautowerke.com/pages/dealers

if you have one close to you just give them a call and you can just bring your car to them to get the tune... I did that with mine and zero issues , cost me the same as sending the ecu ( this was like 3 years ago)

good luck
knew about the cable but figured if the tune is a one shot deal its not worth $225. Also I'm an idiot. Definitely should've looked into the authorized dealers. used your link and found one 15 minutes from my house
Thanks man

EDIT: That dealer doesn't do tunes. Just hardware installs. I think I'll buy the Simon tool to tune at home in case there are issues, wouldn't want to go a whole week without a car every time I need to update it.

Last edited by Indyeah; 05-29-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyeah View Post
knew about the cable but figured if the tune is a one shot deal its not worth $225. Also I'm an idiot. Definitely should've looked into the authorized dealers. used your link and found one 15 minutes from my house
Thanks man

EDIT: That dealer doesn't do tunes. Just hardware installs. I think I'll buy the Simon tool to tune at home in case there are issues, wouldn't want to go a whole week without a car every time I need to update it.
yes much much easier, plus AA sometimes comes out with revise tunes for free ( I think they have done it twice)

Also do not disregard BPC tune , they have worked hard on this platform.

Both tunes have good reviews
Appreciate 0