BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Ventilation Fan Whine

I know Sinbad4 started a thread about a howl when he set "Max Defrost"; I don't know if this issue is related or not. Thus, I thought I'd start a new thread.

In short, with the ventilation fan on and regardless of whether or not A/C is on, I hear a REALLY annoying low whine that seems to rise and fall with engine RPM. It's not a shriek or something you'd notice if you had the radio on loud, but otherwise it's easily discernible (even wifey heard it with her head in the Wall Street Journal magazine ).

Again, X3 M40i, about a month old. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Quick18
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I know exactly what you mean. I've shut the ac system off completely and still hear the rpm variable noise that sounds almost like a fan or rotating piece in the transmission
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for responding, but I'm a bit unclear about what you're saying, sorry.

I hear the noise whether the A/C is on or off, but are you implying you don't think it's the fan? Do you hear the noise even with the FAN off? Because when I shut the fan off the noise stops, or at least I think it does. If you feel it's not the fan then I will double-check the next time I'm in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Quick18
Private
Rep

I guess we have separate problems. Mine makes the sound with the AC/fan off.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Oh, well, then, sorry to hear that.

As I say, I'll double-check but my guess is mine is a "fan issue".

Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
iamthestig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Add me to this list as well. I have pinpointed it to the a/c, however. Yes, the sound still occurs when the AC button is switched off, but that is because the A/C compressor continues to run for a while even after the button is pressed. You have to wait five minutes or so and then the sound will stop. This is an extremely annoying sound and I’ve been debating whether or not to take it in.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I see what you mean.

I was just out and turned the fan on but kept the A/C compressor off. I didn't notice the whine at all.

If you (we) take it in one of five things will happen, depending on the dealer: 1. You will be told they don't hear anything; 2. You will be told that they hear the sound but that it's normal (or within specs) 3. They will tell you they ordered the part and will let you know when it's in (whether that part is really the problem is another matter); 4. They will take the dash apart, replace the fan or similar, reassemble the dash and then you'll have BOTH a whine and a rattle; 5. They will fix it.

Are you feeling lucky?

Frankly, I generally feel OK bringing my car to my local (servicing) dealer (I wouldn't dare bring it to the dealer I bought the car from). I'll wait just a bit to see if it gets worse but I think, with the Summer coming up, I'll have to take it in sooner or later.

Good Luck, thanks for your post, I will post updates on my situation when (if) available. I have a sneaky suspicion we're not going to be the only two with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:31 AM   #8
Sharpedge
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I noticed this the the other day and thought that it was linked to the ASD. Changed out to another setting and it was still there. Stopped AC and fan, nothing. Fan back on and there it was! I'm never going to stop hearing this now....

I know exactly what my dealer is going to say. The same thing as with the steering vibration. 'Nothing wrong with the car'
Appreciate 0