BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Extended Storage (UK) on M40i - correct?

Hi all

Does any UK M40i owner have the extended storage option?

If so could you confirm whether you have the hinges compartments under front seats as described on the configuration?

I’ve just checked mine as I saw this mentioned in another thread and my seats only have wiring and some electronic box underneath which I assume are for the electric seats or the HK sound system??

I also do not have (or can’t find) a USB port in the rear seats...

Thanks

Quote from the configurator:

“Extended Storage makes the interior and luggage compartment of the vehicle more practical for everyday use with an array of additional storage solutions. A hinged compartment under the front seats, a glasses compartment on the driver’s side and storage nets on the back of the front seats all belong Extended Storage. A USB adapter and 12 V socket are also incorporated into the rear centre console. Furthermore, a fastening strap and two multipurpose hooks on the left and right luggage compartment walls, lashing rails on the luggage compartment floor and four adjustable fastening points also offer a range of options for storing and securing items. An additional 12 V power socket is also located in the luggage compartment. A USB port for charging external devices is located in the second row of seats for rear passengers.”
      05-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine’s the same as yours.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

That's a bit of a worry. I have ordered this and would be pretty annoyed these features do not exist. I assume you do you have the other aspects of Extended Storage?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
That's a bit of a worry. I have ordered this and would be pretty annoyed these features do not exist. I assume you do you have the other aspects of Extended Storage?
All other aspects are there- “sunglass” storage and the boot space with hydraulic lift.. etc

Last edited by RocketRomeo; 05-25-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I wonder whether it’s the HK sound system that prevents the under seat storage as there are speakers underneath ... just checked the HK website
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
MarkyM
Major
Rep

I have everything except underseat storage and 2nd row USB mentioned in last paragraph of spec (I have the twin USB adapter plug that was in glovebox)

I have the Hi-fi audio upgrade which has subwoofers under seats and I think all 3 versions of audio have underseat subwoofers anyway so not sure how storage would work, maybe a copy and past from another model but a shame there isn't the 2nd row USB, I thought this was going to be in the armrest or something
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
I have everything except underseat storage and 2nd row USB mentioned in last paragraph of spec (I have the twin USB adapter plug that was in glovebox)

I have the Hi-fi audio upgrade which has subwoofers under seats and I think all 3 versions of audio have underseat subwoofers anyway so not sure how storage would work, maybe a copy and past from another model but a shame there isn't the 2nd row USB, I thought this was going to be in the armrest or something
Agreed... I suppose the usb adaptor (part of the smoking package if that’s what you are referring to) will have to do for the rear seats!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Agreed... I suppose the usb adaptor (part of the smoking package if that’s what you are referring to) will have to do for the rear seats!
If you have Apple devices, note that the BMW adapter is effectively a slow 5W charger, despite the charger's ability to sometimes deliver more power than that. Apple users should instead buy a better/faster charger.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 02:19 AM   #9
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I think you got the wrong (old) description of the package. Back in JAN when I was at the dealer I was asking about it, he was confused the same way as we were. As of April, the description changed and there is no mention about storage compartment underneath the front seats and the USB ports are replaced by USB adaptor plug.
I'm referring to EU description.
Attached Images

05-26-2018, 03:13 AM   #10
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
I think you got the wrong (old) description of the package. Back in JAN when I was at the dealer I was asking about it, he was confused the same way as we were. As of April, the description changed and there is no mention about storage compartment underneath the front seats and the USB ports are replaced by USB adaptor plug.
I'm referring to EU description.
This EU spec is probably the real one but the UK configurator still lists what is in the original post. That said, that has always looked like a dodgy cut/paste job, since it is clumsily written and the rear USB port seems to be mentioned twice.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 04:12 AM   #11
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I put that in the 12v socket behind centre console for the kids to use, the adapter is mentioned in storage pack (I don't have smokers pack) so assume that is why I have it

I hear what others say about it being slow but in that position it fits in flush and no danger of it being kicked, all the higher voltage chargers I see seem to stick out
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I hear what others say about it being slow but in that position it fits in flush and no danger of it being kicked, all the higher voltage chargers I see seem to stick out
https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-...te+lighter+usb

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Charger-Output-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B00MA8JZ10/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527339200&sr=8-4&keywords=cigarette+lighter+usb

Thanks for reply

This is the one that came with my M40i https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/...apter/2411420/ r

Rated at 2100ma whatever that means (2.1amps??) but I think the same rating as a iPad charger but would be halved if you have 2 devices plugged in

I've had no complaints so far so will stick with it anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
This is the one that came with my M40i https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/...apter/2411420/
While that BMW adapter is probably fine for android devices, it generally sucks for apple ones. Regardless of how much power this BMW adapter can supply, apple devices will all treat this as a slow-charging 5W adapter. This is because the BMW adapter does not have proper support for apple devices (I can go into the gory technical details if you have insomnia).

If you have apple devices and want faster charging, that Aukey is good.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #15
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Question... what’s the “strap” it refers to in the luggage compartment?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #16
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Quote:
This is the one that came with my M40i https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/...apter/2411420/
While that BMW adapter is probably fine for android devices, it generally sucks for apple ones. Regardless of how much power this BMW adapter can supply, apple devices will all treat this as a slow-charging 5W adapter. This is because the BMW adapter does not have proper support for apple devices (I can go into the gory technical details if you have insomnia).

If you have apple devices and want faster charging, that Aukey is good.
Many thanks for reply and explanation
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Question... what’s the “strap” it refers to in the luggage compartment?
I think it means the elasticated strap on each side below the pop out bag hooks, I tried it out to hold our takeaway tonight
Appreciate 0