E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Going into limp mode after idling for a while???

05-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
CameroN7887
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Going into limp mode after idling for a while???

So back again with another issue I want to sort out. The other day I was sitting in a driveway talking to my girlfriend with my car idling in park, it was idling for probably around 20-25 minutes when I go to get out of the car the engine seemed to hiccup, the rpms dropped to about 500, the half-engine/limp mode light came on on my iDrive screen and the dash and then the rpms went back up to around 550 if I remember correctly, which is a little low but my car usually idles around 575-600. I turned the car off and then on again about 5 minutes later and no check engine light or limp mode, I then proceeded to drive it home about 10 miles with no problems. I have noticed the car seems to not pull as hard below 3k rpms, as I usually can speed around town under 3k but it feels bogged down. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? I'm at 92k and as far as I know spark plugs or coil packs haven't been changed, I appreciate the help in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

it could be sooo many things. I never like to guess. But sounds like you are misfiring on multiple cylinders.

So pull codes. IF misfiring then replace spark plugs and coils.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
it could be sooo many things. I never like to guess. But sounds like you are misfiring on multiple cylinders.

So pull codes. IF misfiring then replace spark plugs and coils.

I have the Carly for BMW app if that will do me any justice, it can read codes but with no check engine light on atm I'm not sure it'll pick anything up, or if it can pick up the stored code from when I went into limp mode. Will check and see if I can get some codes and report back, thank you for the fast response!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameroN7887 View Post
I have the Carly for BMW app if that will do me any justice, it can read codes but with no check engine light on atm I'm not sure it'll pick anything up, or if it can pick up the stored code from when I went into limp mode. Will check and see if I can get some codes and report back, thank you for the fast response!
I dont know how much carly can do but engine codes are stored all the time even when the CEL is not ON. Any tool that can read BMW codes (might be Carly too not sure) can pick up codes stored from events such as ones u described which are saved. You need to show us last or most recent ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I dont know how much carly can do but engine codes are stored all the time even when the CEL is not ON. Any tool that can read BMW codes (might be Carly too not sure) can pick up codes stored from events such as ones u described which are saved. You need to show us last or most recent ones.

So just ran the diagnostics and came back with two faults: first one says : "valvetronic servomotor: binding or open circuit", and the second one says "junction box passenger: AUC sensor"
I've heard something about a valvetronic motor and it being a pain in the butt, any ideas? The Carly gave me a code for both but they weren't P codes so I assume they're bmw specific or a different type of code? First code for valvetronic servomotor: 002A38
AUC sensor: 00A6CF
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Looking into it, it looks like I need a new valvetronic motor, another person with valvetronic motor problems on a post I'm reading on e90post suggested it can be programmed out but I'd prefer to replace it and have peace of mind knowing it's new, or is that crazy?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Looking into it, it looks like I need a new valvetronic motor, another person with valvetronic motor problems on a post I'm reading on e90post suggested it can be programmed out but I'd prefer to replace it and have peace of mind knowing it's new, or is that crazy?
just replace it. maybe this is a sign that you shouldnt idle your car exessively, it's not good for the engine.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

before u replace anything i wuld run self adjustment test on the servo motor with ISTA-D. There is a self test build in to adjust it and define its limits.. you can PM for details i have ran that test before. You need to install ista d.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
before u replace anything i wuld run self adjustment test on the servo motor with ISTA-D. There is a self test build in to adjust it and define its limits.. you can PM for details i have ran that test before. You need to install ista d.
I heard about that program before but haven't used it before, will send you a pm!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #10
redrdster
Rep
Drives: 2000 M ROadster

I had the same thing happen, same codes VVT binding or open circuit and auc sensor as well s outlet Vanos mechanical failure. While idling, there was a hiccup, rpms dropped but jumped back and limp mode on dash.

Did you end up changing the VVT motor? Or did it end up being something else?

My 2008 e93 just crossed 100k miles. The outlet Vanos mechanical failure code has been showing up on and off. Have ordered a solenoid to replace.
Appreciate 0