BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Summer is here.....ventilate function

How long before using the car, sitting in the sun, do we activate the ventilate function from our phone app, to benefit the most from it?
      05-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
How long before using the car, sitting in the sun, do we activate the ventilate function from our phone app, to benefit the most from it?
It doesn’t make a difference for me ,,, just blows warm air around a warm cabin
      05-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Hmmmm, maybe press and hold the button (on fob) that opens everything (windows and sunroof hatch) when just beginning the walk to the car (if safe).

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 05-26-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      05-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmm, may press and hold the button that opens everything (windows and sunroof hatch) when just beginning the walk to the car (if safe).
Exactly... that’s what I do.

I hope the ventilate option may be more useful in the winter?
      05-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

The system will only run for upto 30 minutes in the comfort ventilation. You can program the system to cut on at a certain time to start cooling the vehicle but again it will only do so for 30 minutes. It does help to move air through the car but it isn’t remarkable. I did have an i3 and you could actually turn on the ac or heat remotely which was great.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Makes a huge difference to me. I have a black X3, and live in Texas and park outside during the day.

I ventilate 20-30 minutes before I plan to get in the car. Works well. The newest app updates doesn't fail as often as it used to.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Anyone with the display key know how to set a time or even get the system to go? Mine was greyed out and didn't function when I tried to use it last.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
The ventilate function on my BMW's is wimpy. It doesn't cool your car down at all. It gently blows ambient temperature air around the cabin for however long you set it. I think its was designed so that when you get in the car that's been sitting outside the air inside the car isn't stale.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
The ventilate function on my BMW's is wimpy. It doesn't cool your car down at all. It gently blows ambient temperature air around the cabin for however long you set it. I think its was designed so that when you get in the car that's been sitting outside the air inside the car isn't stale.
I tried to today in 90 degree F weather, activating it remotely about 20 minutes early and it was still running inside until I hit the start button. Actually pretty impressed with it in comparison to what I am used to.

It must be “ventilating”as it’s function title suggests.
      05-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #10
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Hmmmm, may press and hold the button (on fob) that opens everything (windows and sunroof hatch) when just beginning the walk to the car (if safe).
I don't have any such button on my fob that i'm aware of, do M40i fobs have this feature?
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #11
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I don't have any such button on my fob that i'm aware of, do M40i fobs have this feature?
For all other BMWs I've had just holding the unlock button on the FOB would roll down all the windows and open the sunroof. I assume it's the same for this car (haven't tried it yet).
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      05-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
TroyMcClure
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Guys, this cant work really. I have had a broken AC twice in my cars. If the air is simply blown in with the fans, it is first moving through very hot parts at the front of the car. This makes it more of a heater than a ventilation.

Ventilation on a standing car works - but only with the new electric AC compressors, such as in the 330e! Or, wherever it is legal (not in the EU unfortunately), with the remote engine start.
      05-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdth View Post
For all other BMWs I've had just holding the unlock button on the FOB would roll down all the windows and open the sunroof. I assume it's the same for this car (haven't tried it yet).
It does.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:41 PM   #14
Rising_Wave
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jeep Commander Overland

5 year old post about to reignited because I just picked up a 2014 x3 M, and only just learned about this function. Couldn’t figure it out until I realized it wasn’t a timer… although according to you guys, apparently it is. So, I set mine for 1pm, and waited. 1:01pm came and it activated on its own. I didn’t stick around to ensure that it turned off after 30 minutes.. but I’m assuming that’s what it’ll do?
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 04:35 PM   #15
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Wave View Post
5 year old post about to reignited because I just picked up a 2014 x3 M, and only just learned about this function. Couldn’t figure it out until I realized it wasn’t a timer… although according to you guys, apparently it is. So, I set mine for 1pm, and waited. 1:01pm came and it activated on its own. I didn’t stick around to ensure that it turned off after 30 minutes.. but I’m assuming that’s what it’ll do?
yes... it should technically time out ( and turn off)... I haven't decided if it really does much or not. I'm in DFW; 105 today... But most days, I'm in a parking garage. This week, I've had to do a few outside lots... so when I remember to, I try this function. I think it helps A LITTLE, not a ton. I keep my rear windows cracked about an inch... a CoverCraft Window shade (and my front window is tinted)... It's still incredibly &%@#ing hot when I get in the car... BUT, it does seem to be a tad better using the ventilation option... maybe because I also have some windows cracked that allow for some "pushed" air to escape...? Who knows...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 04:36 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
You have two options...you can set a timed event to occur...or you can select it to vent "now"...like if you are running errands on a hot day...when you press the START button to turn the ignition off...you can go to the CLIMATE settings in idrive and select the box to ventilate now. Then proceed to turn the car completely off (or open the door if you have things set to shut down that way). The system will run for up to 30 minutes (if you're battery capacity starts to drop, then it will shut down earlier.

I have the 2nd programmable button set to take me directly to this CLIMATE setting so that anytime I need to use this feature...it is one button press away. I also use it when it is extremely hot/humid and I'm parking in an enclosed or dark parking location with low ventilation. A dark low ventilation location is prime for the growth of bacteria & mold...which can end up becoming AC funk if you find yourself parking in a dark low ventilated location a lot.

You can see a screen shot below of the CLIMATE setting screen where you can program up to TWO timed ventilation events...or you can select the activate now (again, this can only be done when the engine has been turned off but the car is still powered...instructions are in your owners manual if you can't figure it out...plus there's an owners manual built into iDrive which you can read right there in the car while trying to use the feature).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 06:00 AM   #17
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I'm not sure about hybrid X3's, but the electric iX3 runs the full climate control using whatever temperature it was set to when you turned it off. Only ten mins leaves a lovely cold car. Plus the bonus is the seats cool down when nobody is in the car, so you sit down on nice cool leather!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 06:59 AM   #18
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
This is 100% correct.
The feature is literally called "ventilation", not "cooling" ... its just to get fresher air into the cabin, whatever the air temp is outside is the air it's going to freshen the cabin with.
it may help marginally but is not AC obviously.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 07-13-2023 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 07:09 AM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
A 2014 X3M doesn't exist...
      07-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #20
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
This is 100% correct.
The feature is literally called "ventilation", not "cooling" ... its just to get fresher air into the cabin, whatever the air temp is outside is the air it's going to freshen the cabin with.
Sorry - yes. I should have added that to my entry above… there is ZERO A/C done with this option/item… it is simply pushing (as mentioned above - ambient) air through the vents. The catch is… if you have some windows cracked for “venting” and you use this function, in theory, it will help “push” some really HOT air from inside the car to the outside… at least a little. If your windows are all closed, I can’t see it helping even the least little bit. Just my 2 cents…
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #21
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
Sorry - yes. I should have added that to my entry above… there is ZERO A/C done with this option/item… it is simply pushing (as mentioned above - ambient) air through the vents. The catch is… if you have some windows cracked for “venting” and you use this function, in theory, it will help “push” some really HOT air from inside the car to the outside… at least a little. If your windows are all closed, I can’t see it helping even the least little bit. Just my 2 cents…
It does seem to cool it down even with the windows closed. We use it after a day at the beach. Just use the MyBMW app to ventilate whilst walking back from the beach. That said the typical temp range is 25-35D c, so not as hot as in some places.

As said, don't expect aircon cool, but it feels less hot compared to not using it.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1284.00
      07-13-2023, 03:10 PM   #22
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
… if you have some windows cracked for “venting” and you use this function, in theory, it will help “push” some really HOT air from inside the car to the outside… at least a little. If your windows are all closed, I can’t see it helping even the least little bit. Just my 2 cents…
Ditto post above. Even if the windows are NOT cracked...it will still bring in ambient temp air. There are vents in the trunk/cargo area behind the finished paneling that vents air to the exterior of the car.

pic below shows one of the "flow through" vents (in the trunk of my old e38's battery compartment) that allows air to escape from the interior to reduce cabin pressure as doors open/close and when the HVAC blower is running:

These vents are there to prevent air pressure build up inside the cabin. If these vents weren't there...your doors would be very hard to close because the air pressure built up in the cabin would bounce the doors back open.

Same occurs when the HVAC blower is running...if there weren't any vents to the exterior...the air pressure in the cabin would build up.

So when your car is sitting in the hot sun all day...if it is 80° F...after a few hours it could easily rise to approx 120° F:

How hot do cars get in the summer?

The fastest rise in temperature occurs as soon as you turn off the AC. If the car is parked in the sun, the mercury can rise by more than one degree per minute for the first 30 minutes. This means if you spend half an hour in the store on a 90-degree day, the inside of your car could be around 120 degrees when you return.

After an hour, the average in-car temperature is 43 degrees higher than the outdoor temperature. After 90 minutes, this rises to 48 degrees higher. Therefore, when it’s 90 degrees outside, it could reach an incredible 138 degrees in your parked car.

Using the Ventilation feature (for non-hybrids)...turning on the HVAC blower may not COOL the interior down as if the AC was running...but bringing in ambient temp air can still help reduce the temp inside the interior if it has been sitting in the sun all day.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1284.00