BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding google maps pushing to BMW

05-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
Archdelux
Rep
Drives: M550i

google maps pushing to BMW

I have a 2018 BMW M550 and have been using my iphone to send nav destinations to the car. It works great if sent as a message (open google maps, find place, click share, click on BMW connected app and then click on send as message). If I try to just send it NOT as a message (so that it starts navigating once starting the car) it rarely works and when it does it is much more delayed than the message.

When I send to messages it is there seconds after I start up the car. ANyone else have this issue? Any workaround? It's not that big of an inconvenience, but would be great to just get in and drive without having to click on messages and then the address.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Previously I used to send from Google maps on a desktop/laptop but that stopped via one of Google's updates.

Now I only ever use the connected app on the iPhone and then send to car (and you then have to open via the messages in iDrive and then start navigation) - don't think there's another way...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
Previously I used to send from Google maps on a desktop/laptop but that stopped via one of Google's updates.
When did that stop for you? Still works for me at the moment
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
stephenaron
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

It’s stopped for me on my 2011 750i when they discontinued the connnected drive service and wouldn’t renew. Haven’t tried on the 2018 550
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
When did that stop for you? Still works for me at the moment
Can't remember the exact date, but it was when google did their first major change to maps (when they changed the road colours, e.g. UK motorways no longer blue).

Haven't tried since... and as I said, it works fine when pushing from the iPhone ConnectedDrive app.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Archdelux
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Can't remember the exact date, but it was when google did their first major change to maps (when they changed the road colours, e.g. UK motorways no longer blue).

Haven't tried since... and as I said, it works fine when pushing from the iPhone ConnectedDrive app.
So are you guys saying that when you push to BMW from your phone via google maps you send it directly and your car starts navigating immediately? Or do you use "send as a message" like I do?

Seems that when I send as a message it appears soon after I start the car, whereas if I try to just send directly (to auto-start navigation) then it takes significantly longer (to the point that it's not a useable feature anymore)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Every time I send a destination to car, it always appears as a message in iDrive. Once the message is opened, then get the option to navigate to it.

Don't know/never tried the 'send directly' way suggested above...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Every time I send a destination to car, it always appears as a message in iDrive. Once the message is opened, then get the option to navigate to it.

Don't know/never tried the 'send directly' way suggested above...
From the connected app if you search for a location it gives options either to send to the car or go. If you select go, it goes directly into navigation.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That s useful to know , have previously just resent to vehicle.
Just tried "go" when I'm not near the car and there is a prompt to connect to car so presumably once the phone has connected via Bluetooth the destination will be sent to the cars navigation?
If so that's pretty good.
Appreciate 0