BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Automatic Engine turnoff/turnon

I realize that the automatic engine turn off /turn on saves fuel when driving in traffic and city driving.

However, is this going to cause the starter to wear out faster? How hard is this on the battery?

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
As in other cars with the auto/stop start, the starter and battery are sized accordingly. In 5 years in my E92 there was no issue with either.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Code it to save memory from last setting and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Programming

Do you think that the dealer will program this function?

Does this code keep the last ON or Off position or just disable it the function?

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW will not allow Dealers to code the ASS. You'll either have to find a third party or do it yourself.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452617
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 30i Alpine White

Hey all, I would like to bring the up the original discussion point which I believe is on the affects of this technology on the engine/electronics of the vehicle.

I am happy with this tech, and am not looking to disable it or anything. I have read many threads on using Coding to disable this including the one above. Just wanting to know if this constant stop and start will eat up some pricey components faster than if this feature was not even there.

There are times when I crawl into a stop and the engine cuts off literally for a fraction of a second before it cranks on when I release the brake. Being a novice to BMW or ASS, this does make me wonder if it would have any long term effects. Yes, I could turn this off but hey its a nice feature on a great car!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Who knows/cares. I Sport+ it 100% of the time because race car driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Is it different in US market, I just switch it off when I have pressed the start button.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post
There are times when I crawl into a stop and the engine cuts off literally for a fraction of a second before it cranks on when I release the brake. Being a novice to BMW or ASS, this does make me wonder if it would have any long term effects. Yes, I could turn this off but hey its a nice feature on a great car!
That is the only thing I find iterating, it is as if it is too sensitive sometimes.
On my last tank the stats showed that the engine was off for over an hour because of ASS.

The components can take it, the car have a beefed up starter motor and battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post
That is the only thing I find iterating, it is as if it is too sensitive sometimes.
On my last tank the stats showed that the engine was off for over an hour because of ASS.

I agree it can be a bit cumbersome some times but I don't mind it overall and wouldn't code it off although do manually turn of in some instances, components should be no problem, the next gen 48v systems should make it more of a seamless transition hopefully but not sure when the X3 will get that?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

That hasn't been proven yet. More years of this system being used in the real world (don't care what manufacturer) will show whether it doesn't harm the battery, starter, engine, etc. with the restarts.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

That hasn't been proven yet. More years of this system being used in the real world (don't care what manufacturer) will show whether it doesn't harm the battery, starter, engine, etc. with the restarts.
My 2011 M3 had ASS. Not exactly sure when they first introduced it but I suspect there's at least a decade of info out there now. Would be interesting to see if anyone has recalled replacing a starter but I suspect most people on the boards don't keep their cars long enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #13
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...r-cars-starter

this is an interesting read about starter motors in ASS setups.
Appreciate 1
XXX3154.50
      08-10-2018, 01:56 AM   #14
HornMfan
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I drive in sport/sport plus most of the time anyway, so doesn't really bother me. However, when I've forgotten to turn it off or the car is warming up and I haven't switched to sport/+ yet, and I stop at a light/stop sign, sometimes it feels like it shuts off early and then I get a mushy feeling bounce like you do when you park on a hill and forget to put the emergency brake on before releasing the brake...like a bouncing of the car. Do you guys get that at all? I would not mind having this tech sometimes but the way it feels drives me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i

This is the dumbest feature automakers are pushing in all of the cars nowadays. I have not met a single person that likes this feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #16
Pretzel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Don’t use the feature a lot because I need to feather these big brakes or stopping is not smooth.

When I do try to use it the car turns off then immediately back on.

If I don’t feather the brake and allow car to stop short it seems like person in back of me is taken by surprise and comes close to running into my bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v_dub View Post
This is the dumbest feature automakers are pushing in all of the cars nowadays. I have not met a single person that likes this feature.
You haven't met me then.

No, this is not dumb at all. Any system which can save on average 10% fuel in city traffic should not be dismissed. And it reduces emission as well.
Good for my pocket, good for the environment.

On the contrary, I don't understand why people want to disable it. The only part I don't quite like is that AC was turned off, but now that they keep the fan going (instead of slowing down the fan as in my previous BMW), it is ok for short stops. X3 ASS is much improved; there is no lag for me and it is pretty seamless in my driving.

As for long term impact on the car, you can check out this article: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-car-s-engine
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #18
12v_dub
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
You haven't met me then.

No, this is not dumb at all. Any system which can save on average 10% fuel in city traffic should not be dismissed. And it reduces emission as well.

On the contrary, I don't understand why people want to disable it. The only part I don't quite like is that AC was turned off, but now that they keep the fan going (instead of slowing down the fan as in my previous BMW), it is ok for short stops. X3 ASS is much improved; there is no lag for me and it is pretty seamless in my driving.

As for long term impact on the car, you can check out this article: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...r-car-s-engine
If you bought an M40i, saving 10% of fuel is prolly last thing on person's mind
Appreciate 1
XXX3154.50
      08-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
I have a 30i, and I love the ASS when it kicks in (I do a lot of start stop traffic in heat, so AC is blasting most of the time). I find when it does kick in, AC still runs, fans just slow down a bit for lower draw.

between the ASS (saves about 30min+ in idle gas consumption) and the coast feature in eco pro (I've coasted like 40km on a fillup) its saving me money. which is never a bad thing if done right. and the ASS in this car (my second experience with it, first was my wife's c300 merc) it's done well.

obviously ASS has tolerances, so maybe it just doesn't work as well for some because their driving style is outside those tolerances?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornMfan View Post
I drive in sport/sport plus most of the time anyway, so doesn't really bother me. However, when I've forgotten to turn it off or the car is warming up and I haven't switched to sport/+ yet, and I stop at a light/stop sign, sometimes it feels like it shuts off early and then I get a mushy feeling bounce like you do when you park on a hill and forget to put the emergency brake on before releasing the brake...like a bouncing of the car. Do you guys get that at all? I would not mind having this tech sometimes but the way it feels drives me crazy.
Yes, I've posted about this issue before with the way ASS is programmed in the M40i. It's very aggressive in cutting out and will shut down before the car comes to a complete stop. This often causes the car to lurch or brake more quickly than expected. I always disable ASS because of this, but if it were more subtle and better programmed (only off after stopping fully), then I'd probably leave it on.

I wonder if the 30i models have less of this issue than the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v_dub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
You haven't met me then.

If you bought an M40i, saving 10% of fuel is prolly last thing on person's mind
Surely that's even more important in M40i?, why would you throw money away sitting at a standstill in traffic with engine running all the time when ASS can deal with it :

ASS works really well most of the time in M40i IMHO
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #22
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
I wonder if the 30i models have less of this issue than the M40i.
No, the ASS in my x30i is probably my #1 annoyance. While I haven't used it with the ACC, coming to a stop at lights and stop signs are a pain. The car will lurch unless you feather the brakes. Yeah, I know I could just mash the button and turn off ASS, but I feel stupidly guilty for doing so. (Sport mode is tempting, but I'm still in the break-in period.)
Appreciate 0