BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

M Sport Diff - anyone received this yet?

I know there have been other recent threads on the timing of M sport diff availability but my question is because of a call I had from my dealer yesterday.
I ordered my M140i a few weeks ago and checked the box for the diff and was given a build week mid-August. All good. But I was just told that my build week has been brought forward to June (we think) and this change triggered a note from BMW saying they cannot give me the diff in June as only available from August (MY2019?).
For me, missing out on the sports diff is not a big deal and I would rather get the car 2 months sooner but I am curious what others have experienced in the different markets (e.g. did I read that it is already on cars in Australia?). Is it only UK or EU builds that only get the diff from August?
Anyone already have it? Is BMW telling me fibs?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Boosh99
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i & X1 xDrive25i

My car has arrived in my hometown port on Friday and according to specs from BMW Australia for M40i and my VIN decoder options, my car has it. I am based in Australia and my car was built on 3rd or 6th April. I should have it before end of May. Option code is 2T4 (although it is not an option here, its standard).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
I know there have been other recent threads on the timing of M sport diff availability but my question is because of a call I had from my dealer yesterday.
I ordered my M140i a few weeks ago and checked the box for the diff and was given a build week mid-August. All good. But I was just told that my build week has been brought forward to June (we think) and this change triggered a note from BMW saying they cannot give me the diff in June as only available from August (MY2019?).
For me, missing out on the sports diff is not a big deal and I would rather get the car 2 months sooner but I am curious what others have experienced in the different markets (e.g. did I read that it is already on cars in Australia?). Is it only UK or EU builds that only get the diff from August?
Anyone already have it? Is BMW telling me fibs?
I was under impressing that BMW UK put up list price of M40i from 1st April by £1200 as the M Sport diff was then included for orders after that date, anyone ordering before then at old price wouldn't get the M Diff, I don't think you will miss it, handling is great but at least ask for a discount
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
I was under impressing that BMW UK put up list price of M40i from 1st April by £1200 as the M Sport diff was then included for orders after that date, anyone ordering before then at old price wouldn't get the M Diff, I don't think you will miss it, handling is great but at least ask for a discount
I ordered late April but I know for sure that I paid the price that it has been since launch. Would the production department actually know or care how much I paid as dealer discounts would make it different from list price anyway?
But I agree I won't miss it, just confused by all these apparently random reasons for either delays or features being unavailable in certain countries.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh99 View Post
My car has arrived in my hometown port on Friday and according to specs from BMW Australia for M40i and my VIN decoder options, my car has it. I am based in Australia and my car was built on 3rd or 6th April. I should have it before end of May. Option code is 2T4 (although it is not an option here, its standard).
Ah, yours must have been the post I saw elsewhere about this. That is what confuses me - that if the M40i how has the diff, as you have proven, why would it not have it for the UK for a few more months?
I should have clarified that the diff was listed as standard in the UK spec, I was just confirming that this box was checked (and could not be unchecked).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered late April but I know for sure that I paid the price that it has been since launch. Would the production department actually know or care how much I paid as dealer discounts would make it different from list price anyway?
But I agree I won't miss it, just confused by all these apparently random reasons for either delays or features being unavailable in certain countries.
Quote:
Quote:
It maybe that the price rise is on 2019 model years then which would make sense with the M diff coming in August as they are telling you, the BMW system generates extras at list price on the official order, they don't see what discount you're getting, the dealer on my order confirmation put down a special discount in one lump rather than a discount off car and each extra, which was the same on my last BMW order as well, I am sure BMW UK can tailor the system when they know a change is coming

Congrats on order, do you know a firm build date yet? If you have your order number you can check progress with genius on BMW website, mine was 5 1/2 weeks from build date to my door
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
snakehips
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on order, do you know a firm build date yet? If you have your order number you can check progress with genius on BMW website, mine was 5 1/2 weeks from build date to my door
Thanks! Silly question but what is a Genius? I googled and followed the links and was eventually led to my local dealership to call them to speak to a Genius. So is a Genius just a guy at my dealership? If so, then I might as well talk to my sales guy.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Silly question but what is a Genius? I googled and followed the links and was eventually led to my local dealership to call them to speak to a Genius. So is a Genius just a guy at my dealership? If so, then I might as well talk to my sales guy.
You can reach them on the BMW UK website, go as if you are building a X3 online on desktop site then a chat or ask a question option should appear, you need your 7 digit order number which the dealer will give you if not already
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
Mcweeble
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Awaiting BMW X3 M40i

New onto the forum as my M40i was built in mid May...

Having got the VIN from dealer and decoded it, I can clearly see my car has the m sport differential fitted..

I originally ordered the car in March and only found out about this change in April. I asked my dealer and was was told they had added onto my build.

Great to have it added but now it feels like an even longer wait ahead for shipping and delivery. 😞
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
rrao56
Audi convert to BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, (previously RS6,S5..

Quote:
They have certain staff members with “encyclopaedic “ knowledge about the vehicles (must have been to special classes), each dealership should have one.
I know because I have been dealing with one, who seems to be in his teens!
But must admit, he does answer all my queries.
Then they have those from a call centre online (?India), who can check your vehicle status if you are pretending to be doing a new build on their website, under the banner ‘Live chat’.
I have been troubling both sources almost daily
Appreciate 0