BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
battlehawk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335 XI

diesel X3 for USA?

Recently had our x3 28d totaled out due to an accident.
Is there an estimated date when the diesels x3 will be out in the USA? also any idea if they will be the 6 cylinder like in 5 series or 4 banger?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
u6006
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 x28i

My CA has no idea about G01 X3d, and no one mentioned it anymore in these days. Hope it has a higher priority for BMW NA and won't be delayed by any upcoming models (such as 3 series, X5 and X7 etc).

It would be better if we can get the twin-turbo version of B47 (EU 25d) this time.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlehawk View Post
Is there an estimated date when the diesels x3 will be out in the USA? also any idea if they will be the 6 cylinder like in 5 series or 4 banger?

thanks in advance
The X3 Diesel was confirmed for the US by BMW in January, and I believe most articles stated that the 3.0L I6 TurboDiesel will be the only engine available, which is good since the 4 cylinder is completely sluggish and would be slower on a heavy SUV. Although its confirmed I've heard no word of when it will be available which is weird. It could be postponed due to a current diesel ban in some euro countries, in which BMW is swapping any diesel owned cars for gas, all I know is that the 5 Series Diesel, which uses the same engine, was announced at the same time and has been on sale for over one month, so I don't know whats happening with the X3, try asking your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
The X3 Diesel was confirmed for the US by BMW in January, and I believe most articles stated that the 3.0L I6 TurboDiesel will be the only engine available, which is good since the 4 cylinder is completely sluggish and would be slower on a heavy SUV.
Sadly, that won't be the case.
Similar to the 3 series, they will use the 20d engine for the rest of the world and rebadge it to 30d in North America. I think that's a scam to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I drove the X3 20d in Spain a few years ago, it was faster than I anticipated, there's more than enough power in that engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I drove the X3 20d in Spain a few years ago, it was faster than I anticipated, there's more than enough power in that engine.
I am fine with that, just badge it as 20d like the rest of the world, instead of changing the badge to 30d!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
battlehawk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The X3 Diesel was confirmed for the US by BMW in January, and I believe most articles stated that the 3.0L I6 TurboDiesel will be the only engine available, which is good since the 4 cylinder is completely sluggish and would be slower on a heavy SUV. Although its confirmed I've heard no word of when it will be available which is weird. It could be postponed due to a current diesel ban in some euro countries, in which BMW is swapping any diesel owned cars for gas, all I know is that the 5 Series Diesel, which uses the same engine, was announced at the same time and has been on sale for over one month, so I don't know whats happening with the X3, try asking your local dealer.
I know it was confirmed by some reputable sources but nothing official from BMW. My local dealers are useless to me. I prefer the 6 cylinder (b57) that is in the 5 series. Our x3 was a little slow for me honestly. I wounder if it will come out with the 19s.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
I know it was confirmed by some reputable sources but nothing official from BMW. My local dealers are useless to me. I prefer the 6 cylinder (b57) that is in the 5 series. Our x3 was a little slow for me honestly. I wounder if it will come out with the 19s.
If your in a hurry for a car and need more power, there's always the X5 35d, which has the faster turbodiesel inline 6, it will cost a pretty penny more than any X3, although they can be bought used, which is always a good choice for german cars since they depreciate immediately, but they also have a handy split folding tailgate, and really comfortable multi-contour seats, and overall a gorgeous exterior and interior in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT

We're also waiting to see what's announced. We love our 2014 328d, and we really want to order an X3 30d.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
battlehawk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bumb to see if there is any updates on a diesel for the USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
battlehawk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
Hicksey27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 540i Msport

Smile Interested in a US X3 Diesel

Any word on which BMW X3 diesel model is coming and when?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:28 AM   #13
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:

thanks in advance
Sorry to reply to an old message.

What diesel ban? Which countries? Link?

The only thing I've heard of is possible city center env zones which might require Euro6 emission levels or better, and for some German cities even higher emission standards as minimum (that no diesel currently is tested against).
It's stupid that politicians require diesel ban, when they should not care about the fuel itself, but the emission levels.

The BMW diesels are very clean, with NOx traps and adblue, and much lower on CO2 than equivalent petrol engines, so this is just a non-technical thing with political colours, making people scared of. Thanks VW.

/n
      08-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #14
f30ser3
Private
Rep
Drives: On foot

why should car producers offer diesels to US market because at the end of the day they get sued by users and government. Makes no sense. You have much more cheaper gas than in the Europe anyways...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #15
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Sorry to reply to an old message.

What diesel ban? Which countries? Link?

The only thing I've heard of is possible city center env zones which might require Euro6 emission levels or better, and for some German cities even higher emission standards as minimum (that no diesel currently is tested against).
It's stupid that politicians require diesel ban, when they should not care about the fuel itself, but the emission levels.

The BMW diesels are very clean, with NOx traps and adblue, and much lower on CO2 than equivalent petrol engines, so this is just a non-technical thing with political colours, making people scared of. Thanks VW.

/n
Paris has already banned old diesel and petrol cars, don't know if any other City has done the same? certainly no full country bans for just diesel that I know of?

France has a vignette system that you display in windscreen which indicates what class your car is, numbered 1-5, 5 is pre-2001 diesels and pre-1997 petrols which are banned in centre of Paris, I assume they will eventually ramp it up to other levels and areas

Eu6 diesels only get a 2 rating whereas eu 5 and 6 petrol cars get a 1 rating the same as plug in hybrids which is odd?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #16
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
Paris has already banned old diesel and petrol cars, don't know if any other City has done the same? certainly no full country bans for just diesel that I know of?

France has a vignette system that you display in windscreen which indicates what class your car is, numbered 1-5, 5 is pre-2001 diesels and pre-1997 petrols which are banned in centre of Paris, I assume they will eventually ramp it up to other levels and areas

Eu6 diesels only get a 2 rating whereas eu 5 and 6 petrol cars get a 1 rating the same as plug in hybrids which is odd?
Probably the most common Renault/peugeot/Citroen petrol engines are "clean enough", with under-the-table promises to the government. They can't stop the local car manufactures, right?!

/n
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post

Probably the most common Renault/peugeot/Citroen petrol engines are "clean enough", with under-the-table promises to the government. They can't stop the local car manufactures, right?!

/n
Probably true, as a consequence a 2007 V8 M3 will be in the same band 2 as a brand new highly efficient 116D

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/informati...r-colours.html

Top bands probably all meaningless in the end though and will likely change, can't imagine them banning the current new cars that soon
Appreciate 1
nogren327.00