BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Twickers
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i on the way

New M40i seats?

Hi all,

I am just configuring a new M40i to replace another M40i which I sadly had to reject after 900 miles due to a fault with the digital dashboard. I just went to build a car on the UK configurator and noticed that the seats seems to have changed. Does anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I don't see any change in any configurator. What makes you feel, they've changed?
      05-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
Hi all,

I am just configuring a new M40i to replace another M40i which I sadly had to reject after 900 miles due to a fault with the digital dashboard. I just went to build a car on the UK configurator and noticed that the seats seems to have changed. Does anyone know anything about this?

Just checked. Can't see any change. Essentially there are three different types available in UK for the M40i:

- Sports seats
- Individual seats
- Ventilated seats
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Twickers
Private
Rep

Here is a screen shot of the seats that are coming up on the configurator at my end.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Twickers
Private
Rep

MMM, weird. Having said that as soon as I play around with the seat colour the usual seats come up. Perhaps it's just a bug with the configurator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

First ones are ventilated, second are the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
First ones are ventilated, second are the sport seats.
Those are standard seats you get with the SE spec for the 20i and 20d/30d here in UK. Configurator doesn't show the ventilated seats even though they are available. It's still quite buggy since they revised it a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
darksky1
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

Quote:
Hi all,

What do you mean Twickers by rejcting your other car? Did you bring it back to the shop and got your money back or could you replace the bad one by a new one without any extra money?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky1 View Post
What do you mean Twickers by rejcting your other car? Did you bring it back to the shop and got your money back or could you replace the bad one by a new one without any extra money?
The car developed a fault relating to the digital cockpit within a day of picking it up. BMW tried to fix it but couldn't find a way. The screen would literally turn off when performing certain functions in the car. As per UK consumer law if a fault develops in the first 30 days you are entitled to either a full refund or replacement. It's not something that I wanted to happen but the fault was pretty worrying as it was so random. I must add that BMW were absolutely brilliant at dealing with the whole thing, hence why I am looking at getting another one. Rejection is a worst case scenario for both dealer and customer but in this case it was the only logical conclusion.

I originally went with a refund as I thought for a while about getting another car as the experience left a bit of a bitter taste but there simply isn't anything out there that is as close to the "full package" as the M40i (or any X3 for that matter) for my needs.

Annoyingly, I wish I had come to that conclusion sooner as now I have to wait for somewhere between 3 to 5 months for a new build without a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
The car developed a fault relating to the digital cockpit within a day of picking it up. BMW tried to fix it but couldn't find a way. The screen would literally turn off when performing certain functions in the car. As per UK consumer law if a fault develops in the first 30 days you are entitled to either a full refund or replacement. It's not something that I wanted to happen but the fault was pretty worrying as it was so random. I must add that BMW were absolutely brilliant at dealing with the whole thing, hence why I am looking at getting another one. Rejection is a worst case scenario for both dealer and customer but in this case it was the only logical conclusion.

I originally went with a refund as I thought for a while about getting another car as the experience left a bit of a bitter taste but there simply isn't anything out there that is as close to the "full package" as the M40i (or any X3 for that matter) for my needs.
That sucks that there was an issue with your car. Glad to hear that BMW (and UK protection laws) were there to make things right.

Are you considering any configuration changes this time around? It's rare to get a second chance to add/remove options after having the car for 900 miles, so there's that silver lining.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
That sucks that there was an issue with your car. Glad to hear that BMW (and UK protection laws) were there to make things right.

Are you considering any configuration changes this time around? It's rare to get a second chance to add/remove options after having the car for 900 miles, so there's that silver lining.
I had the M40i really well specced but this time around I am thinking of possibly not going for run-flat tyres. I really liked the car but I found the run-flats a bit noisy (i am seriously nit picking here). Unfortunately in the UK it cannot be specced with 19" as I would have gone that way. One of the techs at the dealership thought that the change to non run-flats may dampen the noise on the 20" ever so slightly. So that would basically be the only change. I believe that since my car came out there have also been a couple of small standard spec changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
darksky1
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40I

that really sucks indeed. I -f it was the case in my country i would be in trouble. Not that BMW would not change the car but i would get in trouble with the taxes that would be more than doubled afther september 2018 i had to register the car before september otherwise the taxes to register the car would go from 2000 Euro to more than 6.000 Euro and yearly car taxes would go up from 800 Euro to more than 1700 that would kill my bankaccount
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

You can't spec the 19" 698M wheel/tires in the UK? Bizarre. How does BMW make these random decisions? see 'No M Sport steering wheel in the US'
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
You can't spec the 19" 698M wheel/tires in the UK? Bizarre. How does BMW make these random decisions? see 'No M Sport steering wheel in the US'
Standard wheel on the M40i in the UK is the 20" staggered on runflats.
There are 3 optional sets though;
- 20's with performance tyres (non runflat)
- 21's which are unique to the M40i (on runflats)
- 21's which are the "individual" wheels (on runflats)
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:29 AM   #15
comber
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Standard wheel on the M40i in the UK is the 20" staggered on runflats.
There are 3 optional sets though;
- 20's with performance tyres (non runflat)
- 21's which are unique to the M40i (on runflats)
- 21's which are the "individual" wheels (on runflats)
Same in Spain, no 19" wheels for the M40i
Appreciate 0