05-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

M5 Purchase Advice

Hi,
New to the forum and looking for some advice on my first M5 purchase.

I've done a lot of research into common issues experienced with the F10 and think I've got everything covered but would be nice to hear some problems you may have had.

Things to look out for when purchasing, things to avoid etc.

The Big One - Warranties. I want a comprehensive warranty on the car from day one but I don't trust some warranty companies would honor the cover they say they provide when it comes down to it. I work in the motor trade so have seen some of the excuses they can use to get out of it. Id like to hear some recommendations from people with experience. BMW seems like the obvious choice but at £120 ish per month seems quite steep.

Anyway I think that's enough for now, don't want things to get too complicated just yet.

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

The most important thing buddy is that 1200 miles run in service if thats not done walk away!

other than that little things like cracks in the discs which are £1150 with pads just for the front.

try and change the oil every 4k miles, tolerences are tight on rod bearing with these cars so stick to a good maintenance plan.

ive had mine 4 years now, got it from new put 34k on it been a brilliant car, not sure what to get yet as its such a good all round motor.

0345 641 9790 thats the BMW extended warranty if you buy a car 3 years old. 800 quid for 1 year which is not bad, think there's a 250 excess on that for that price though mind. 100 for no excess, depends on individual.

i did have a clutch in my car at 32k the issue seemed to be when i put the car in reverse such a slight shudder BMW said the car was fine but i harped on about it until they put in a new clutch so check cars for this when you road testing.

other than those things the cars really are a good buy and great fun. few mods here and there and they just an absolute animal so if thats what your into you heading down the right street
Appreciate 1
JLR19691877.00
      05-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

That's great info, thanks a lot. I'm looking at 2013 models with approx 40k on them so BMW warranty may not be the best option for me but I will give them a go.

Knowing my luck I would turn up to look at one that was perfect for me but missing it's running in service, but being in the motor trade I understand how important this is.

I honestly can't wait to get mine, but reliability for me is very important, as I'm sure it is for everyone. If I did have to walk away from a nice one I'm sure id be able to pull myself away.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

as for the options side of things i think i should of went for LED Headlights instead of Xenon, much better but i'll get that on the next car.

soft closing doors is a good option
20" 343M wheels unless you go for the Comp Pack car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Late 2013 saw the lci update on the M5. Seemed to sort a few known issues on the engine. So might be worth looking for. Also if you by an approved used at from a BMW dealership, you can ask them to add an extra year warranty. On an M5 it works out about £500 which is excellent value. If you go for an aftermarket warranty, read the small print carefully as many cap the value of a claim to maybe £7500 which wouldn't cover a replacement gearbox never mind an engine too.
Good luck with your search. The BMW warranty from memory covers the cost of the car. I just bought a 2014 car with 14k miles and a lovely spec. Hoping it might be ready to collect on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
PAULDON
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 f10

get a BMW extended warranty 100%, had x3 injectors go on my f10 at 32k miles. All in one bang!, was not fun as in the fast line at the time, lost all power and had to cross 4 lanes to the hard shoulder! Warranty covered it!