BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

06-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
AJBoston
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Paintless dent repair on plastic? Any experience?

Some tool put a nice little dent in the plastic part of my front fender flare (location circled in pic). It's easily accessible from the wheel well. The paint is intact, but the dent catches the light from a good distance. I had a paintless dent guy take a look at it and he said he couldn't do anything, but a quick search indicates that lots of paintless dent shops claim to work on plastic. I don't expect perfection, but if somebody could minimize its appearance, I'd be thrilled.

Anybody have experience with this type of repair? Any advice?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6sp AW FR EDC NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBoston View Post
Some tool put a nice little dent in the plastic part of my front fender flare (location circled in pic). It's easily accessible from the wheel well. The paint is intact, but the dent catches the light from a good distance. I had a paintless dent guy take a look at it and he said he couldn't do anything, but a quick search indicates that lots of paintless dent shops claim to work on plastic. I don't expect perfection, but if somebody could minimize its appearance, I'd be thrilled.

Anybody have experience with this type of repair? Any advice?
You should try to heat it up with a hot blowdryer and gently massage it out from behined , heat is what makes plastic flex that is how we repair them at my shop , but then again we usually will put putty on and paint after that if we still can see it , it will help get it to be less noticible though ,

sorry about your luck
      06-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
johnL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

The guy who I used to use for Dent repair shared the same sentiment. He always told me that it can't be done on plastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Great excuse for euro bumper!

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0