F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Interior motion sensor
Extreme Powerhouse

05-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Interior motion sensor

I've tried searching and keep on seeing people talking about leaving dogs and stuff in the car but I'm just wondering what about if I want to leave the car locked on the drive with the windows open. Why can't I get the motion sensor to activate.

I open windows.
Lock car
wave my arms around and it just doesnt do anything.

I've coded my mirrors to auto fold. Could this be playing around with the motion sensor?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

It's probably disabled with the windows open. It's an ultrasonic sensor, not microwave.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
It's probably disabled with the windows open. It's an ultrasonic sensor, not microwave.
Hmmm thats a bit poo. I remember having an aftermarket ultrasonic on another car and it was great as you could leave it with the windows open during the summer and the moment anyone poked their arm in it went off.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Hmmm thats a bit poo. I remember having an aftermarket ultrasonic on another car and it was great as you could leave it with the windows open during the summer and the moment anyone poked their arm in it went off.
And they were also the same sort of alarms that would always go off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason! Thank god the car industry moved away from them!
Appreciate 3
F30Andy1777.00
Chris330211.50
Ennoch2258.50
      05-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
I've tried searching and keep on seeing people talking about leaving dogs and stuff in the car but I'm just wondering what about if I want to leave the car locked on the drive with the windows open. Why can't I get the motion sensor to activate.

I open windows.
Lock car
wave my arms around and it just doesnt do anything.

I've coded my mirrors to auto fold. Could this be playing around with the motion sensor?
If you press the button on the key once to lock it with all the windows down the sensors inside should still work.

Where I live is a private road which has an electric sliding gate preventing pedestrian or vehicle access.
On a warm day I will leave all the windows open with the car locked.

I have had the cat climb into the car triggering the alarm and also my eldest climbing through the window to try and turn the radio on, also triggering the alarm.

The reason he had to go through the open window was because the car was deadlocked, so could not be opened even from inside.

Putting an arm in might not trigger it, but something a bit more substantial will.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
And they were also the same sort of alarms that would always go off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason! Thank god the car industry moved away from them!
Oddly enough the other day I managed to get it to go off with the windows open. I have no idea how.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Yeah - we’ve definitely had ours go off with the windows open, on the couple of occasions I’ve left the dog in the car and forgotten to double press the lock button!!
      05-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Have any of you coded the auto fold mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have, which means I’m now unable to turn off the motion sensors after locking the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

hmm I'm baffled then. I might have to sit in the car a few more times and try and set the alarm off
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
hmm I'm baffled then. I might have to sit in the car a few more times and try and set the alarm off
It won’t go off until a certain time has past from memory. Something like 10 mins or so.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
It won’t go off until a certain time has past from memory. Something like 10 mins or so.
It’s definitely less than that, can go off within 1 minute if I leave my dog in the car!
Appreciate 1
DonDP48.50
      05-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
It’s definitely less than that, can go off within 1 minute if I leave my dog in the car!
Doesn’t the alarm do some kind of cycle check though before arming? The clown nose stays on and then flashes meaning it’s doing something? I don’t take any notice normally but when I took the car on a ferry the alarm went off going over. On the return I’d double pressed and it was fine.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Yes I have, which means I’m now unable to turn off the motion sensors after locking the car!
I’ve reversed the mirror fold coding but still have the issue whereby I cannot deactivate the alarm with the dogs in the car.
Not so much an issue this time of year as I’d only leave them inside in winter when it’s cool but annoying all the same.

Stefan from BimmerCode said he’d had a few people raise the issue but haven’t had any feedback about what’s caused it yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvr80 View Post
I’ve reversed the mirror fold coding but still have the issue whereby I cannot deactivate the alarm with the dogs in the car.
Not so much an issue this time of year as I’d only leave them inside in winter when it’s cool but annoying all the same.

Stefan from BimmerCode said he’d had a few people raise the issue but haven’t had any feedback about what’s caused it yet...
Oh really! Bugger I thought it was definitely the reason so had let Coopers off for not being able to fix it!

I might try reverding the coding too then. Did you just revert the Werte value or did you “code” the fembody module to revert it back to factory settings?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #16
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
To disable the interior motion sensor, you lock the car with the remote (not comfort access), then hit the lock button again.

If you want to be able to turn off the sensor, you have to code a delay in the auto-fold mirrors. I used Bimmercode to set it for an indicated 1.5 seconds and I have plenty of time to hit the button twice.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #17
Louda0801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Quote:
To disable the interior motion sensor, you lock the car with the remote (not comfort access), then hit the lock button again.

If you want to be able to turn off the sensor, you have to code a delay in the auto-fold mirrors. I used Bimmercode to set it for an indicated 1.5 seconds and I have plenty of time to hit the button twice.
This normally works but doesn't after folding mirrors are coded. I spoke to Stephan too and he doesn't know why. Annoying! The work around I've used is locking the car with connected app. This won't activate the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:22 AM   #18
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Maybe I wasn't clear enough because I was working from memory. You have to modify Comfort Closing Delay under FEM_01 to give yourself enough time to double click the lock button on the remote. The folding mirrors are part of of comfort closing.

I coded folding mirrors with eSYS, but couldn't turn off the interior sensor because I had Comfort Closing Delay set to zero. I used Bimmercode to extend the delay from zero to 1.5 seconds specifically so I would have time to double click to turn off the motion sensor.

I just tried it and the red light momentarily stayed solid, which should mean the sensor is off. (I didn't put the dog into the car to test it because my wife is asleep. Maybe tomorrow...)

The fact that I initially coded the folding mirrors with eSYS shouldn't make a differs because Bimmercode modifies the same values.

If you're using expert mode, the value would be under 3053 KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN. werte = 00 means you have zero delay.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:00 AM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louda0801 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I have, which means I'm now unable to turn off the motion sensors after locking the car!

This normally works but doesn't after folding mirrors are coded. I spoke to Stephan too and he doesn't know why. Annoying! The work around I've used is locking the car with connected app. This won't activate the alarm.
Doesn't activate it at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #20
Louda0801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X drive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louda0801 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I have, which means I'm now unable to turn off the motion sensors after locking the car!

Doesn't activate it at all?
I don't think so. But not 100% sure
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post

Putting an arm in might not trigger it, but something a bit more substantial will.
Over the weekend my car was locked with the sunroof and front widows open and I passed my three year old through the sunroof and it set the alarm off. First time I've ever heard it.

I was impressed and also curious how it did this with the car effectively open, not curious to dig the manual out mind. My mirrors have also been coded to close on lock.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #22
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Ultrasonics are sensitive to air movement, on an aftermarket system with sensitive ultrasonics, you will get it going off if you leave windows open. If you wanted to leave windows open, or had a convertible, you would opt for a microwave sensor instead which creates a bubble in and/or around the vehicle and detects objects entering and leaving the bubble.

I'm assuming that as people seem to be able to leave the windows open without the alarm going off that the ultrasonics in the car are not overly sensitive.

OEMs usually select ultrasonics over microwave as when positioned in the ceiling like in our cars, they can cover the entire length of the vehicle whereas microwaves would struggle to reach the rear of an estate. If you upped the sensitivity of a microwave to reach the rear of the car, it would also extend beyond the vehicle at the sides and would go off every 5 minutes.