Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can you throw off alignment while changing tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
rje
RJE 335xi E90 Monaco Blue/Lemon, MB C350 White/Blk
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-335xi E90, 07 MDX,11 C350-4

Can you throw off alignment while changing tires?

I recently changed my tires/wheels from winter to summer. I noticed my steering was slightly off to the right when driving straight and at high speeds. I also noticed scuffs on one of my winter wheels (can't remember which one). I got the car fixed with the dealership for an alignment and the steering is back to center now.

There are only 2 things that can throw off my alignment that I can think of. One is the famous and Hard run flat tires, when you hit a pot hole it feels like hitting metal to concrete and my guess is this is the culprit. The other one I'm thinking that caused this is when I changed to my summer tires, I've ocassionally hit the brake disk/wheel hub assembly with the wheels/tires I'm installing or,...I remember having to fight with rear right winter tire just to get it off. I used a rubber headed mallet to shake it out. The rust on the wheel hub was holding the wheels pretty tight. Apparently the alignment was off on the rear right wheel. Coincidence?

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Tegs4tugs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 33?i | 90 Integra B20

I Belive you need to do an alignment when you replace tires, I remember asking a service advisor if wheel alignment was covered under maintenance and he said no because the only time you would do an alignment is if you hit a hard pothole or replacing the tires.

|33?i e90|Platinum Silver black leather w aluminum trim|6spd|Sport|Premium|Mtec v3|Rockford Fosgate System|
|2015 Lexus IS250 AWD|Pearl White w Tan int|Premium|Navi|
|2000 integra DC4|Silver Gray int|5spd|B20 Motor|
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I'm goign to say what ever caused the scuffs knocked the alignment out.

The slight nudge from hanging a wheel on the hub isn't jack shit compared to the forces the suspension sees just from turning the wheel at a stand still. Changing wheels will not effect your alignment at all. Your caster, camber and toe will all remain what they were.

Now if you go to a way different width and offset you should probably get it aligned.

A lot of people get their alignment checked when they get new tires just to avoid potentially wearing out expensive in case the knocked the alignment out previously.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Yes and no. There is no reason you need to do an alignment for simply the fact that you took tires off and put them back on, so changing tires doesn't need an alignment. It's also going to be hard to knock the alignment out by hitting the wheel with a rubber mallet. Everything is tightened down more than that.

However, you may need one if you go between completely different kinds of tires (sizes) and maybe one is worn weird or something. Other than that, the simple fact of changing tires 9 times out of 10 won't knock your alignment out. A check is offered when you get new tires just to see if it's gone out in the last however many thousand miles since the last time you checked.

Assuming everything you said, and the dealer told you, your situation is a little odd though. If your steering wheel wasn't straight, and they fixed the rear, then the rear toe had to have been out, which is a lot harder to get out than the front since the rear doesn't turn. If that's the case then you must have really wacked the hell out of that wheel with the mallet, and even then I don't think you could have done it.

Edit: Whoops, I stopped halfway and took a call and apparently hotrod said pretty much the same thing before me.
      06-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
scpage
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

If the car does not pull to one side, an alignment is not needed. They just need to make a tie rod end adjustment on both sides to center the steering wheel. Typically when doing a full alignment, they will center the steering wheel as well.
One thing I noticed that anytime my car is on a lift, the steering wheel becomes off centered afterwards. I just had both turbos replaced on my car, and now the steering wheel is several degrees to the right when driving straight. The car does not pull at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
habanero69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i - F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpage View Post
I just had both turbos replaced on my car

Why replaced? i.e. is there a story behind that? You car seems too new...