F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 335i Manual Transmission oil change
ARMA SPEED

05-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Drastaa
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2012, 335i

335i Manual Transmission oil change

Hello there,

I recently bought a 2012 F30 335i with manual transmission with fairly high milage on the clock - it has around 87k miles but it looked like it was in a really good shape for a fair price so I didn't hesitate and went for it. All its life it was serviced only at BMW dealership so everything should be fine, except for one thing and that is the transmission oil. I didn't really notice anything that would suggest that the fluid was ever changed so I want to change it myself just to make sure.

I just wanted to ask you what oil would you recommend to use since there's plenty of them and I kinda have absolutelly no idea which one is right one for this car or if it doesn't really matter...

Also everything I should know about this thing is pretty welcome.

++ All tips what to look for in a car with such milage are welcome. I got an one year insurace that covers all mechanical (cept for gearbox) and electrical parts that would go wrong. Am getting a new Valvetronic ($2000) since a few drivetrain messages came so god bless that dealer who got me such insurance.

I heard a lot that water pumps are failing at high milage, mine is still original so I guess I will have my eye on that... Anything else I should look for?

/Thank you/
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
congrats on the car. I would definitely change the gearbox lube at that mileage just for piece of mind. Get the oem oil. I think the manual trans only requires a quart or two and an Indy shop will be able to do it for pretty cheap.

I would also take a look at the plugs, coolant and brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drastaa View Post
Hello there,

I recently bought a 2012 F30 335i with manual transmission with fairly high milage on the clock - it has around 87k miles but it looked like it was in a really good shape for a fair price so I didn't hesitate and went for it. All its life it was serviced only at BMW dealership so everything should be fine, except for one thing and that is the transmission oil. I didn't really notice anything that would suggest that the fluid was ever changed so I want to change it myself just to make sure.

I just wanted to ask you what oil would you recommend to use since there's plenty of them and I kinda have absolutelly no idea which one is right one for this car or if it doesn't really matter...

Also everything I should know about this thing is pretty welcome.

++ All tips what to look for in a car with such milage are welcome. I got an one year insurace that covers all mechanical (cept for gearbox) and electrical parts that would go wrong. Am getting a new Valvetronic ($2000) since a few drivetrain messages came so god bless that dealer who got me such insurance.

I heard a lot that water pumps are failing at high milage, mine is still original so I guess I will have my eye on that... Anything else I should look for?

/Thank you/
Spark plugs?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Drastaa
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2012, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
congrats on the car. I would definitely change the gearbox lube at that mileage just for piece of mind. Get the oem oil. I think the manual trans only requires a quart or two and an Indy shop will be able to do it for pretty cheap.

I would also take a look at the plugs, coolant and brake fluid.
So I asked at the dealership about the service history of the car, turns out that the car was serviced in 12/2017, got a brand new breaks+ fluid, engine oil, cabin filter, spark plugs, coolant.

I brought it to dealership for the Valvetronic repair and asked to change the gearbox + diff fluid. Also I have agreed with the mechanic that since they gotta dig into the engine for Valvetronic replacement, they should decarbonize the engine. They will also stress test the water pump.

They should be calling me on Wednesday how did the water pump do and how does the engine look, if it needs decarbonizing or if it's good.

As far as the bill goes it should look like this (work incl.):
Full Valvetronic + its eccentric shaft replacement
- $1850
Gearbox oil + differential oil (oil + replacement)
- $100
Decarbonizing the engine
- max. $285
Am pretty interested how will the final bill look like.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
nice! seems reasonable.
Appreciate 0