F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > "Intake Fuel Pump" Voluntary Recall (2013 335i F30)
ARMA SPEED

04-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

"Intake Fuel Pump" Voluntary Recall (2013 335i F30)

This is according to my local dealer when I called to price-compare some out-of-warranty maintenance work. I say "Intake Fuel Pump" in quotations because that's what the SA described to me, but it's not clear to me whether this refers to the HPFP or the low pressure fuel pump. Anyone know?

I know the N54 was notorious for HPFP problems, but I thought BMW had licked those issues on the N55 engines?

Supposedly BMW sent me a letter, but I don't think I received it despite having an up-to-date address on My BMW. Apparently BMW will swap it out for free, although it wasn't clear to me when I spoke to the SA whether they will replace it right now for free, or whether they'll only replace it for free if it starts to fail or cause issues.

Anyone familiar with this issue and had their fuel pump replaced under this extended warranty?

Edit: After some more searching I found some more information and threads related to this issue. Appears to be related to the LPFP, the one inside the gasoline tank. It's unclear despite my searches exactly which model years are affected, but appears to be at least some 3 and 4 series between 2012 and 2015 model years.

Last edited by EnerJi; 04-30-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
This is according to my local dealer when I called to price-compare some out-of-warranty maintenance work. I say "Intake Fuel Pump" in quotations because that's what the SA described to me, but it's not clear to me whether this refers to the HPFP or the low pressure fuel pump. Anyone know?

I know the N54 was notorious for HPFP problems, but I thought BMW had licked those issues on the N55 engines?

Supposedly BMW sent me a letter, but I don't think I received it despite having an up-to-date address on My BMW. Apparently BMW will swap it out for free, although it wasn't clear to me when I spoke to the SA whether they will replace it right now for free, or whether they'll only replace it for free if it starts to fail or cause issues.

Anyone familiar with this issue and had their fuel pump replaced under this extended warranty?

Edit: After some more searching I found some more information and threads related to this issue. Appears to be related to the LPFP, the one inside the gasoline tank. It's unclear despite my searches exactly which model years are affected, but appears to be at least some 3 and 4 series between 2012 and 2015 model years.
It actually isn’t the pump, it’s just the sensor that goes bad throwing Incorrect CELs.

The problem is the part is not serviceable and the sensor cannot be switched as thus, the entire pump needs to be replaced.

Great design, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post

It's the LPFP. I think BMW website has the ability to search recalls on your car via VIN.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0