F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip-tec USB Carplay Activation for iDrive 4.2/5/6 NBT/NBT EVO
ARMA SPEED

04-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
acdt
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Sport

Unichip-tec USB Carplay Activation for iDrive 4.2/5/6 NBT/NBT EVO

Hi,

Has anyone tested this from unichip-tec,
http://www.unichip-tec.com/pd.jsp?id=16#_jcp=2

They claim instant activation of carplay for NBT EVO units with idrive 4.2 for $70

I have bought the solution (.bin file they provide using VIN/MAP info) but worried about installing it ;-)

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

AFAIK, the older head units will constantly reboot and hang when flashed to EVO because of its higher hardware requirements, which the older units don't meet (lower RAM for example).

EDIT: You can't activate CarPlay in a head unit with iDrive 4, it's missing hardware (WiFi) support.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

There are two kits in that link... one interrupts the OEM screen with a switchbox and the other seems to be a "USB" solution.

I want to see how they can integrate "OEM CarPlay" to a non-NBT EVO2 unit via USB without making the unit sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdt View Post
Hi,

Has anyone tested this from unichip-tec,
http://www.unichip-tec.com/pd.jsp?id=16#_jcp=2

They claim instant activation of carplay for NBT EVO units with idrive 4.2 for $70

I have bought the solution (.bin file they provide using VIN/MAP info) but worried about installing it ;-)

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
If you have an ID4 NBT EVO, it will not work with the Unichip proxy kit or the USB solution. Your only option would be to replace the head unit with a full fledged ID5 unit but you will also gain the new interface along with wireless CarPlay.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      04-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
borboa
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

How can i know if i have a ID4 ir ID5? I have a 2014 435i.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
If you have an ID4 NBT EVO, it will not work with the Unichip proxy kit or the USB solution. Your only option would be to replace the head unit with a full fledged ID5 unit but you will also gain the new interface along with wireless CarPlay.
But one would lose XM and BMW Services, correct? (been debating but when I heard XM and live wouldn't work, that to me is almost half the system lol)

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #7
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
But one would lose XM and BMW Services, correct? (been debating but when I heard XM and live wouldn't work, that to me is almost half the system lol)
If you have ID4 Evo and replace the headunit with ID5 and it's coded to your vin with the appropriate FSC codes, matching your VIN, then no, you won't lose any online services - I have done this on my own car and retain Online entertainment & connected drive.

Go to the Map screen, press the Option button on the iDrive controller, scroll to the bottom of the list and slect Navigation version - it will tell you which version of Nav you have - if it says EVO then you are all set and can just replace the headunit.

HTH
jeffc83725.00
alistairk117.50
      05-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
If you have ID4 Evo and replace the headunit with ID5 and it's coded to your vin with the appropriate FSC codes, matching your VIN, then no, you won't lose any online services - I have done this on my own car and retain Online entertainment & connected drive.

Go to the Map screen, press the Option button on the iDrive controller, scroll to the bottom of the list and slect Navigation version - it will tell you which version of Nav you have - if it says EVO then you are all set and can just replace the headunit.

HTH
Very much appreciated! Checking on my way in this morning but thought it was just NBT.

EDIT: Just have NBT...

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
Wibbles447.50
      10-06-2019, 02:59 AM   #9
zeusrazvy
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfish View Post

HTH
Hi Bob,

I also have the same ID4.2 Evo... i am looking for ID5 or 6... but i am afraid of loosing warranty? have you had any issues? do you keep your old HU? is straight swap working after the initial coding and fsc codes? Anything else needed other than the wifi antenna and the HU with ID 5/6 ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0