BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Official HP/TQ Numbers out for CTS-V: 556 hp/551 tq

If the horsepower numbers don't make you drool, the relatively easy path to 600+ should.

What an awesome era we live in as car enthusiasts!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

CTS-V looks like it is going to be one hell of a car...

And estimated pricing coming in ~$58K...

Can't wait for the coupe...
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Hell of a car for $58k.....but I'm sure for the 1st 6 months or so they will sell for substantially over that!

Still I'd like to drive one!
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I have to say that is fucking amazing. If I owned an M5 I'd be worried.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
wgf77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi A5

Would love to drive but zero desire to own the Caddy.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
Hell of a car for $58k.....but I'm sure for the 1st 6 months or so they will sell for substantially over that!

Still I'd like to drive one!
Very true...but 6-12 months after that you could probably get one close to invoice...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like shit and drives like hell...

not my way...
performance yes,
under each condition no.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
BMW-videos.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m5, heavily modded c6 corv

completely badass car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I'd say that this is GM's best effort yet for a sports sedan. I notice that there are lot of people considering the GTR, IS-F, RS4, etc. All very good cars, but you HAVE to put the CTS-V in that group as well. In terms of size, the CTS-V competes with the M5, but pricing-wise, it is far cheaper, and competes with the M3.

.. AND .. the fact that the astonishing upcoming CTS Coupe with the V-treatment will be out within a year's time is just icing on the cake!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

One sure gets a lot of motor from GM these days...
      08-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Once again quoting David E. Davis: "Any car would be a better car if it just had 50 more horsepower."

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Gimme shelter.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #13
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

The interior is really, REALLY good looking imo. I hope it doesn't suffer from gaps or cheap materials...

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
The interior design looks fine but the exterior is awful, what is all this angular look all about.

Also, whith this amount of power and torque the time isn't that special when taking into context against what BMW have achieved with the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Very, very impressive, especially at that price point. Even the styling is growing on me. The interior looks nice, but a bit cluttered. Call me crazy, but I've always liked BMW's simple, spartan interiors.

The last generation CTS-V was a terribly built rattle-trap that was just about worthless after the warranty ran out. Depending on its execution, this new one looks to be a big step up.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:46 AM   #16
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yeah, but you get a lot more than a lot of engine. If those ring times are accurate, the coupe version might just spank our beloved //Ms......

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #17
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The interior design looks fine but the exterior is awful, what is all this angular look all about.
Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but in my opinion, these cars look very good indeed in the flesh (coupe seen only at an auto show).

Quote:
Also, whith this amount of power and torque the time isn't that special when taking into context against what BMW have achieved with the M3.
With due respect, this is a little more apples and oranges than if you compared the CTS-V with, say, the M5. The CTS-V is in fact a bit larger than the M5, and heavier as well. Of course, we don't have an M5 'Ring time, but based on the M6 times, we can probably extrapolate to an 8:09 or 8:10. Even against the M6 in a track environment, the Cadillac perhaps shows up even a little better. Impressive indeed.

Bruce

Edit: PS - That 8:05 M3 time was also done with motorsports pads and super-sticky rubber. U.S cars come only with standard pads and PS2s. You and I disagree on the value of gummy rubber, but I think we can agree that a "standard" M3 will be several seconds slower at the 'Ring under the same conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #18
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
With due respect, this is a little more apples and oranges than if you compared the CTS-V with, say, the M5. The CTS-V is in fact a bit larger than the M5, and heavier as well. Of course, we don't have an M5 'Ring time, but based on the M6 times, we can probably extrapolate to an 8:09 or 8:10. Even against the M6 in a track environment, the Cadillac perhaps shows up even a little better. Impressive indeed.

Bruce

Edit: PS - That 8:05 M3 time was also done with motorsports pads and super-sticky rubber. U.S cars come only with standard pads and PS2s. You and I disagree on the value of gummy rubber, but I think we can agree that a "standard" M3 will be several seconds slower at the 'Ring under the same conditions.
I didn't realise the size of the Caddy, I am unfamiliar with your home-grow material and thought it was slightly bigger than the 3 series, not bigger than the 5 series as well. The M5's time with SportAuto is 8:13, but you have to remember that the Caddy's time was conducted with their test drivers on board and not a magazine driver, as an example of what difference that can make the RS4 in the hands of Audi recorded a time of 7:56, not the 8:09 that SA got.

The rubber argument is a can of worms which is best left closed, suffice to say that it will account for 3~5 seconds but little more. But lets look at the M5's time, it was recorded on PS2 rubber, the M6 was on r-compound and it saved 4 seconds, as for the pads, I can't say if they will improve it's braking performance but it will improve it's durability. The M5 was rumoured to have lapped the ring in under 8 minutes in a BMW test driver's hands, that's a full 13 seconds quicker than it's SA time but there was never an confirmation of this and maybe that is why this time for the Caddy is so talked about. Now if you estimate that you may need to add approx 13 seconds to the CTS's time then you end up with 8:12, better than the M5 but not so amazing considering the power.

But if you look at it purely on price then what they have achieved it as amazing as what Nissan have done with the GTR.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
I didn't realise the size of the Caddy, I am unfamiliar with your home-grow material and thought it was slightly bigger than the 3 series, not bigger than the 5 series as well. The M5's time with SportAuto is 8:13, but you have to remember that the Caddy's time was conducted with their test drivers on board and not a magazine driver, as an example of what difference that can make the RS4 in the hands of Audi recorded a time of 7:56, not the 8:09 that SA got.

The rubber argument is a can of worms which is best left closed, suffice to say that it will account for 3~5 seconds but little more. But lets look at the M5's time, it was recorded on PS2 rubber, the M6 was on r-compound and it saved 4 seconds, as for the pads, I can't say if they will improve it's braking performance but it will improve it's durability. The M5 was rumoured to have lapped the ring in under 8 minutes in a BMW test driver's hands, that's a full 13 seconds quicker than it's SA time but there was never an confirmation of this and maybe that is why this time for the Caddy is so talked about. Now if you estimate that you may need to add approx 13 seconds to the CTS's time then you end up with 8:12, better than the M5 but not so amazing considering the power.

But if you look at it purely on price then what they have achieved it as amazing as what Nissan have done with the GTR.

See: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...lac-cts-v.html

Road and Track is doing a heads up comparison between the CTS-V and the M5 with Heinracy and Auberlin driving these cars, respectively. This means the driver is essentially a wash.

An M5 did the ring in 7:52 according to the Cayman club.

I predict the CTS-V will beat the M5 in acceleration but lose at the track.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6996

While this is a good car for Caddy (and the RS6), it is aiming at a 4 year old target. ///M has traditionally set the bar and will hopefully do so again in a couple of years with the F10 M5 / F12 M6 then it will be another 5 years until the new RS6 and Caddy.....

08-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...But if you look at it purely on price then what they have achieved it as amazing as what Nissan have done with the GTR.
footie, forget price. The CTS-V is clearly competitive with all of the current M cars - and perhaps more than competitive. Slightly faster than any of the Ms in a straight line, and it appears to be at least slightly faster at the 'Ring, as well.

So what if it's bigger, weighs more and makes more power. It is what it is, and it's pretty damned good.

Your "suffice it to say" comment in regard to gummy rubber can easily be offset by a similar "suffice it to say" comment from me to the tune of 7 - 8 seconds, but at least we can agree that the M3 time would probably not match the Cadillac's time assuming the bimmer had an assassin on board, equipped with PS2s and standard pads. After all, check out the 911 difference of six seconds (7:59 to 8:05) Rohrl to SportAuto, similarly equipped.

No matter what, we're talking four cars that have similar performance, which is pretty much an astounding feat for the Cadillac.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #21
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Bruce,

I am commending Caddy's achievements. To break the 8 minute barrier regardless of who is driving is incredible, but until SportAuto do their test we can only assume that it will be quicker than an M5, M6 or M3.

The other thing which is unknown is what the ride quality is like, making a car handle isn't the difficult part, making it handle and ride great is a different matter, few get it right, Mercedes, BMW and Audi to name a few. If this car gets test by SA, beats any of these BMWs and proves to ride as well as them then we can say for certain that Cadillac have produced a truly amazing machine.

P.S.
Keep the lip firmly in place on those worms old mate, things at the moment are peachy and we want it to stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Bruce,

I am commending Caddy's achievements. To break the 8 minute barrier regardless of who is driving is incredible, but until SportAuto do their test we can only assume that it will be quicker than an M5, M6 or M3.

The other thing which is unknown is what the ride quality is like, making a car handle isn't the difficult part, making it handle and ride great is a different matter, few get it right, Mercedes, BMW and Audi to name a few. If this car gets test by SA, beats any of these BMWs and proves to ride as well as them then we can say for certain that Cadillac have produced a truly amazing machine.

P.S.
Keep the lip firmly in place on those worms old mate, things at the moment are peachy and we want it to stay that way.
How is Sport Auto going to find one to test? I believe the new CTS-V is not being sold overseas, it is staying stateside. I guess if they really wanted to, they could get one over there.
Appreciate 0