F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Music library USB backup - .br extension?
GetBMWParts

04-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
laurenjj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Music library USB backup - .br extension?

Thinking I was getting a new car I made a backup on a USB of my 428i music library. I ended up sticking with my car but then the headunit malfunctioned and I just got it replaced. Of course my music library went with it but thankfully I had a backup or so I thought.

There are a bunch of folders on the USB and only some of the songs are in mp3 format...the rest are in .br28 ? What the heck is that? And there's a file called BMWBackup.ver among others but when I put the USB into my car it just allows me to transfer the mp3 files.....???? HALP!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
laurenjj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

As a follow up... there's a file on my usb called BMWBackup.ver
I've found maybe 1 post somewhere that references this but nothing else. I'm desperate here
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
AJFord
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d

Hi, the .br28 files are the format that the idrive uses when you uploaded your music onto the cars hard drive. It's annoying but it doesn't just save them as mp3 unfortunately so you can't just load them in the normal way you would with importing a CD or mp3's from a USB stick.

If you go into Media > Music Collection > Press Options > Manage Music Collection > Restore from USB then it should bring your old music collection back from the USB backup. I say it "should" do it, I'm currently having issues restoring mine from USB so let me know how you get on with it. Adam.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
grwl_grewal
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI and X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenjj View Post
Thinking I was getting a new car I made a backup on a USB of my 428i music library. I ended up sticking with my car but then the headunit malfunctioned and I just got it replaced. Of course my music library went with it but thankfully I had a backup or so I thought.

There are a bunch of folders on the USB and only some of the songs are in mp3 format...the rest are in .br28 ? What the heck is that? And there's a file called BMWBackup.ver among others but when I put the USB into my car it just allows me to transfer the mp3 files.....???? HALP!
Please PM me I will help you out
Appreciate 0