F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F36 Making a good car better - coding questions
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

F36 Making a good car better - coding questions

Hi all,

I am obviously new here, but happy to be part of the "gang"
I must say I have never been a BMW fan and can't say I am one now, however the hard choice between an A5 and BMW 4 Series ended up with a nice 4 Series GC (F36) for various reasons and I don't regret it

Being familiar with and still driving the 2 best brands (Audi and BMW) however helps me realize and appreciate the strong and weak sides of each. This said, here a couple of things I'd really like modifying in my F36:

- Comfort blinking - increase from 3 to 5 times. (3 times is on the borderline of being useless). I have found the related coding, which is claimed to work on 2016 F36:

Change the triple blinker blinks to any amount. (Value is XX + 1).
FEM_BODY 3060 BLINKZYKLEN_ANZAHL_TIPP werte = X-1 = 6

...however it does not seem to work on LCI models. It at least makes no difference on mine. Anyone with experience on LCI?

- Rear view camera default: On mine and also according to the User Manual, the rear view camera is the default one to be displayed when in reverse, irrespective of the last configured view. What I would like to have is the bird-eye view as default. There is no setting in the menu and the last configuration is not stored. Any coding or trick to achieve that?

- Volume control on iDrive Controller: BMW have implemented this (almost) state of the art controller with touch functionality, gestures, etc. And yet there is no option to control volume directly from there.... I find this an annoying deficiency. (Note, Audi have the volume control knob on the A5 next to the multi-functional controller... looks a bit strange at first and takes time to get used to, but makes perfect sense as you want to have the volume right next to your multimedia control!)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does the round knob under the screen not control your volume, it does on mine, you also have the steering wheel controls.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Try the coding forum, where the answers to all of your questions have been posted, most of them many times.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

IAmATeaf
Of course it does. It is also exactly 40cm (16 inch) away from the iDrive controller, which is the one you use to manage multimedia and communications....
This is called bad HMI. And remember that it is not just a driver's car... the front seat passenger should not need to reach over half a meter to control volume while managing multimedia.
As I said - look at A5... the knob is in the centre pedestal for a reason.
http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...udi-s5-shifter
BMW have all the tools to make it happen as well. It is just software missing to allow e.g. gesture on the big iDrive knob to also control volume...

Billfitz
I realised I posted this in the wrong sub-forum.
Although I know from experience how annoying it is when people ask the same questions again, would you please refer me a bit more specifically to the right place? Especially when it comes to the camera view selection. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 04-02-2018 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Oh I understand now, that does make sense if you happen to be adjusting things via the MMI knob.

Have you discovered where the skip tracks buttons are yet? Think you might freak out when you find out 😀
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Noone uses those anyway
But as I said - this part of the HMI is definitely not an award candidate...
Volume control is an integral part of the multimedia management. And that task is often delegated to the passenger.
Having 2 volume controls and both close to each other on one side of the "cockpit" is bad design by nature. Can be addressed by a third one located where the main one actually belongs on first place Hardware already there, software option missing unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
See for me in the uk the dash volume control is probably nearer the passenger than the driver so no real hardship or issue for either driver or passenger.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Indeed. Quite fortunate for you. Now imagine the opposite.
Appreciate 0