BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Going to first track day - do I need racing brake pads and/or fluid?

04-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MG

Question Going to first track day - do I need racing brake pads and/or fluid?

Heading to my first track day in a month or so.

I’ll be driving in the novice group with an instructor. My car has the dinan P2 package installed. Do you recommend I install after market brake pads and/or fluid?

If so, any recommendations on the pads and where to buy them?

Thanks!
      04-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Nope, not for your first track day. Go out and have fun. Once you start learning to push the car, then you'll start getting into different pads and fluids
emdeuce196.50
      04-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtianh View Post

I’ll be driving in the novice group with an instructor. My car has the dinan P2 package installed. Do you recommend I install after market brake pads and/or fluid?

Thanks!
I would say you don't need anything at all. But I see you're in LA. What group you going with? Speed district gives you a lot more track time in one day than speed ventures. If I was doing a day with speed district, it wouldn't hurt to look into pads. Who knows maybe you're a natural and by the end of the day you might be fast enough to leave some deposits on your rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
I would say you don't need anything at all. But I see you're in LA. What group you going with? Speed district gives you a lot more track time in one day than speed ventures. If I was doing a day with speed district, it wouldn't hurt to look into pads. Who knows maybe you're a natural and by the end of the day you might be fast enough to leave some deposits on your rotors.
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at both. I take it that you prefer Speed District? I was thinking about heading to Speed District on April 20th. I just got Pagid RS29s on amazon for $280... seems like a good deal.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Is there any downside to installing the Pagids for my first track day? It seems like there COULD be a downside to NOT installing them.

2. Do I also need to change out my brake fluid (to castrol srf), or is that something I don't need to worry about yet?

Thanks!
      04-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

I'm kinda in the same boat as OP, will do my first trackday the 27th of april with the M2.

I have done 4-5 trackdays in my old car which was a M3 e46.
I ran OEM pads with upgraded brake fluid, it ATE(hehe) the pads like nothing.

Will the M2 pads get destroyed as much? Almost the same weight and power.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

In the same position with my first track day in about 2 months from now and was contemplating the same thing myself. Many say being my first track day I probably won't be going too hard and the stock pads/fluid should be fine. On the other hand I rather have the car prepped where there is zero chance I need to worry about braking when I'm out there.
      04-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Guess spring as sprung for track events?

I switched to Pagid RS29s and SRF for my first event (in this car, far from first event ever) but it was also an open lapping event with unlimited track time. Had to fill the car up twice

Damn why is Speed District going on a Friday? Too hard to get out of work on this short notice...any weekend day where people from SoCal are going?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Guess spring as sprung for track events?

I switched to Pagid RS29s and SRF for my first event (in this car, far from first event ever) but it was also an open lapping event with unlimited track time. Had to fill the car up twice

Damn why is Speed District going on a Friday? Too hard to get out of work on this short notice...any weekend day where people from SoCal are going?
I didn't even realize April 20 was a Friday; I just assumed it was a Saturday. I won't be able to make it.

Speed District is hosting events on May 25th and 26th (weekend days) at Buttonwillow. Speed Ventures is hosting on May 5th-6th at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Willow Springs on May 12-13, and Bimmerfest in Fontana on May 26-27. I'm definitely going to go to one of those.
      04-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
I have over 30 track days on my M2 and I always run track pads. As an instructor I recognize that there is a vast difference between drivers,but even a Novice doing a lot of threshold braking can fry factory pads and get brake fade. I would spend a few bucks on fluid , pads and SS brake lines....no reason not to.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at both. I take it that you prefer Speed District? I was thinking about heading to Speed District on April 20th. I just got Pagid RS29s on amazon for $280... seems like a good deal.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Is there any downside to installing the Pagids for my first track day? It seems like there COULD be a downside to NOT installing them.

2. Do I also need to change out my brake fluid (to castrol srf), or is that something I don't need to worry about yet?

Thanks!
I have actually never gone with speed district. I'm usually pretty tired by the last session with speed ventures, so even more run time at the cost of increased consumable wear and less engagement as I'm tired, isn't worth it.

1. There's no downside imo other than the God forsaken screeching that accompany all race pads. I try to switch out my pads the night I get back

2. If you're changing out your pads, I'd say you might as well switch out the fluid as it's pretty cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
arudeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

Thanks!
As others mentioned, with it being your first day it is likely not necessary. But, if you plan on making this a regular activity (Which you clearly should!) and, if I am not mistaken, the P2 package gives you an extra 100Hp, right?

I'd probably go ahead and do it if you plan on doing this regularly...

I use Ferodo DS1.11 pads which I buy from KNSBrakes.com. They have other popular choices there as well and are good folk.

Have Fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #12
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I have over 30 track days on my M2 and I always run track pads. As an instructor I recognize that there is a vast difference between drivers,but even a Novice doing a lot of threshold braking can fry factory pads and get brake fade. I would spend a few bucks on fluid , pads and SS brake lines....no reason not to.
I'm not an instructor, but after my first weekend on OEM pads/fluid knew I needed to change. Wish I had done it before my first weekend. Another M2 has run OEM since new (he refuses to mod) and gone through 3 sets of OEM pads and 2 sets of rotors in ~18 track days.

I run SS lines, DOT4 fluid and RS29 pads on 18" FL-5s and 265 RE-71s square. Super easy to change out the pads yourself and have a good shop flush/change fluid every 3 weekends.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVN*2FLY View Post
I'm not an instructor, but after my first weekend on OEM pads/fluid knew I needed to change. Wish I had done it before my first weekend. Another M2 has run OEM since new (he refuses to mod) and gone through 3 sets of OEM pads and 2 sets of rotors in ~18 track days.

I run SS lines, DOT4 fluid and RS29 pads on 18" FL-5s and 265 RE-71s square. Super easy to change out the pads yourself and have a good shop flush/change fluid every 3 weekends.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I ordered the RS29's and Castrol SRF (that's the right fluid, right?)

This is a total rookie question, but what exactly are SS lines, and where do I buy them?

Thanks!
      04-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm an intermediate driver, I did get RS29s for my first proper track days but skipped SS lines and fluid change. I had also done several laps of the Nurburgring on stock but that was pretty gentle.

Stainless Steel brake lines replace the stock rubber ones, they shouldn't have as much flex and be tougher. I believe HPAutoshop, a vendor on this board, sell some and I'm sure you should be able to find them pretty easily with other vendors too.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
I'm an intermediate driver, I did get RS29s for my first proper track days but skipped SS lines and fluid change. I had also done several laps of the Nurburgring on stock but that was pretty gentle.

Stainless Steel brake lines replace the stock rubber ones, they shouldn't have as much flex and be tougher. I believe HPAutoshop, a vendor on this board, sell some and I'm sure you should be able to find them pretty easily with other vendors too.
Got it, makes sense. I was spacing on what "SS" stood for.

So, after a track day, it's recommended to switch out the track pads for the stock pads, but it's OK to keep the Castrol SRF blake fluid and and the SS lines on, is that correct?
      04-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #16
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Those that are running track pads, are you running front and rears on track or just fronts and keeping stock rears?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Those that are running track pads, are you running front and rears on track or just fronts and keeping stock rears?
Both front and rears. Can’t say I’ve seen anyone at my track (MSR Houston) who runs a mixed set of pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Don't think brakes/fluids will be needed but bring plenty of gas.

I'm consuming about half a tank per session :-(
      04-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Both front and rears. Can’t say I’ve seen anyone at my track (MSR Houston) who runs a mixed set of pads.
Pagid Endurance on both front and rear.

We swap the OEM's out at the start of the track day. Takes about 30 mins to do brakes and track wheels.
      04-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Don't think brakes/fluids will be needed but bring plenty of gas.

I'm consuming about half a tank per session :-(
its seriously ridiculous...the gas tank is just too damn small in this car
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #21
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
its seriously ridiculous...the gas tank is just too damn small in this car
My buddy and I both track our M2's. It's compulsory 6x5Gal gas canisters ( 3 each) in the back of the cars each track morning.
      04-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #22
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Is you suspension all stock running those wheels and tires? No camber?
Appreciate 0