F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Service Bulletin re: Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement
Extreme Powerhouse

03-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Service Bulletin re: Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement

Hi All,

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting a low coolant warning on my 2012 328 f30. I performed a coolant system bleed to no avail. I am thinking I may need to replace the expansion tank. While doing some online research I came across this service bulletin: SIB 17 01 13. I did not find any info on the bulletin while searching this forum though.

Apparently it is for a campaign to replace the coolant expansion tank under warranty. Does anyone have any further info on this bulletin or have had their expansion tank replaced under this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Have a 2012 328i with this exact same problem. I don't know where the leak is as I don't see any residue anywhere, but it takes about a year for the coolant to go from the "max" line after a refill to where the low coolant warning comes on. Put a new expansion tank cap on a few months ago but looks like it's still slowly disappearing. Not sure if it's normal to have to top off the coolant every year or so on these cars? I know the system should be generally sealed except allowing some coolant to evaporate through the cap with enough pressure. BMW had it once and pressure tested the cooling system for a few hours and everything looked good. Maybe they just need to test it for longer to find the leak.
Appreciate 0