XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Warning for those who chip their engines

Current version of iDrive PROGMAN software can detect aftermarket mods and void your warranty.

Link from w w w b i m m e r d r i v e r s . c o m

Beginning with CIP 29.02.00 BMW introduced code to capture "any alteration to TMAP sensor signal by 'plugged-in-box' is detected by DMA fault 2D18 - manipulation protection, air mass signal plausability"

This was in response to the dealers seeing a high level of reported drivability issues caused by aftermarket "Engine Tuning" kits. These complaints include:

* Excessive muffler noise/incorrect flap operation
* Backfiring into intake manifold
* Increased fuel/oil consumption
* "Service Engine Soon" illuminated
* Excessive battery draw
* Readiness codes not set
* Noise from turbocharger area

SI B 12 10 08
Engine Electrical Systems
April 2008
Technical Service

SUBJECT
N54 – Aftermarket "Engine Performance Tuning" Kits

MODEL
E60, E61 with N54 engine

E90, E92, E93 with N54 engine

E82, E88 with N54 engine

E71 with N54 engine

SITUATION
Various aftermarket "N54 – Engine Performance Tuning" kits are being aggressively advertised to BMW owners.

Depending on the manufacturer, these modifications may consist of a "turbo-tuner control module" (piggyback box) plugged directly into the TMAP sensor / DME connector, waste-gates vacuum plumbing alterations, or the DME "performance" software programming.

In general, each aftermarket tuner claims a significant increase in engine power and torque of up to 40% over the stock N54 engine specifications (which are, respectively, 300 hp and 400 Nm).

These alleged performance gains are achieved by an increase of the turbochargers boost in a wide range of engine speeds, in some cases exceeding the maximum designed turbo pressure of 8.8 psi by 50%.

INFORMATION
None of the aftermarket "N54 Engine Performance Tuning" kits has been evaluated, tested, approved or endorsed by the BMW Development or Service Departments.

Any alterations to the originally designed and installed turbochargers control system or to the DME software may increase a vehicle's emission levels and may compromise its OBD II compliance.

Moreover, to the best of BMW NA knowledge, none of the aftermarket "N54 Performance" kits have been certified (homologated) by the appropriate federal and state authorities (EPA/CARB) to meet street-legal emission requirements. BMW vehicles equipped with such "performance enhancement devices" without these certifications are not in compliance with EPA/CARB emission anti-tampering laws.

Excessive turbocharger boost increases engine temperatures resulting in pressures and forces which may damage engine internal components and or may cause premature turbochargers failure.

Due to increased engine output and the altered emissions characteristics, severe damage may be inflicted on emission control components, such as oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

Excessive engine loads, above the designed levels, may also compromise long term reliability and longevity of other drivetrain components, such as: clutch transmission, transfer case, differentials, etc.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Modification of the vehicle or installation of any non-approved performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components voids the warranty coverage on the affected original Drivetrain and Emission Control components.

In general terms, the BMW warranty on Drivetrain and Emission Control components is void due to a modification where the modification, alteration or installation of a non-approved aftermarket part was responsible for the failure.

Please make sure to inform BMW customers considering purchase of an aftermarket "N54 Engine Performance" kit of the above legal and technical implications.
      06-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

someone w/ way too much time & money will always try to gild the lily.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
That why I think it is wise to stick with Dinan if you want to modify since they offer full 4yr/50,000 mile warranty. I don't think any of the other moders are offering this. I will be going that route as soon as something is available for the 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
That why I think it is wise to stick with Dinan if you want to modify since they offer full 4yr/50,000 mile warranty. I don't think any of the other moders are offering this. I will be going that route as soon as something is available for the 50i
The warranty sounds good and all until you try to claim damages.

BMW will say "we won't cover the engine damage, it was caused by the Dinan software".

Dinan will say "our software could not have caused that, it was a defect on BMW's part".

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but that is ALWAYS a possibility that both parties will point the finger at eachother leaving you with the onus to prove who's at fault (and maybe having to go to court with an expert (that you paid for) to be your witness).

The best solution is to find a dealer that will install the mod FOR you, and turn a "blind eye" when warranty claims come up.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
My dealer already told me when I placed order that they are an authorized Dinan dealer and that they will honor any warranty claims if i have everything installed there which is a little more piece of mind I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
My dealer already told me when I placed order that they are an authorized Dinan dealer and that they will honor any warranty claims if i have everything installed there which is a little more piece of mind I guess.
You should be in good shape then! Hopefully my dealer can do the same!

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
anderson007
Private
Rep
Drives: 330cic

BMW is moving away from Dinan, you will see Dinan pulled from almost all dealers by the end of the year. BMW will increase its focus on the performance parts side of the business to satisfy any customer upgrade needs while at all times maintaining the integrity of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I wonder if the denial of warranty includes free maintenance.

thoughts?

Last edited by chuck92103; 08-25-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0